add electrolyte?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
While performing a specific gravity test I spilled some of the electrolyte , that cell now reads low , what do I do?

I read this from here.  Quoting the applicable part:

"The best replacement for spilled electrolyte is the other cells in the same battery. Get a battery tester or a clean large syringe, and equalize the level of electrolyte between the 6 cells. If this leaves all of them too low, which it will, you can now add an identical amount of fresh electrolyte purchased from the auto parts store to bring them up to the correct level."

Can I take some electrolite out of a old starting battery?
Auto parts store wanted $16.50 for electrolite

Mobilesport said:
Can I take some electrolite out of a old starting battery?
Auto parts store wanted $16.50 for electrolite

If you charge the old battery until Specific gravity maxes out, and IF the electroyte is not all cloudy or dark then it should be OK

Flooded batteries need water.
More importantly, watering must be done at the right time and in the right amount or the battery’s performance and longevity suffers.
Water should always be added after fully charging the battery. Prior to charging, there should be enough water to cover the plates. If the battery has been discharged (partially or fully), the water level should also be above the plates. Keeping the water at the correct level after a full charge will prevent having to worry about the water level at a different state of charge.
Depending on the local climate, charging methods, application, etc., Trojan recommends that batteries be checked once a month until you get a feel for how often your batteries are need watering.
IImmppoorrttaanntt TThhiinnggssttooRReemmeemmbbeerr
1. Do not let the plates get exposed to air. This will damage (corrode) the plates.
2. Do not fill the water level in the filling well to the cap. This most likely will cause the battery to overflow acid, consequently losing capacity and causing a corrosive mess.
3. Do not use water with a high mineral content. Use distilled or deionized water only.
CAUTION: The electrolyte is a solution of acid and water so skin contact should be avoided.

The info above was copied from the Trojan battery companies maintenance guide available in pdf format on thier website. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

How much electrolyte did you spill? What exactly do yopu mean "that cell ... reads low"?
As above, only add distilled water.

ccbreder said:
How much electrolyte did you spill? What exactly do yopu mean "that cell ... reads low"?
As above, only add distilled water.

Mayby there not called cells , idk , but when i rove the 
plastic cover theres 3 holes to draw the electrolite out for testing , i 
Thought each of these holes was a cell , so three holes would be three cells , i did'mt get 
all of the electrolite back into one of those holes

I would not stress 2 tablespoons on aged batteries. Perhaps on New ones I would.

Use distilled water. The cell with spilled electrolyte, SG readings will now always be slightly lower than before.

Not a huge deal.

Flooded batteries intended for tropical locations have more diluted electrolyte. Fully charged it might be only 1.260 where a battery intended for cold climates could be 1.300.

Don't stress 2 spilled tablespoons, unless they spilled on your favorite pants.

Also don't think you will turbo charge your battery by using stronger acid. It will just help to eat the plates faster with little performance gain, and a negative longevity gain.

Stern is certainly right.  If you really want to equalize everything, use your hydrometer to withdraw an equal amount from the other cells, putting it in a clean glass container.  Add two or three tablespoons of distilled water and stir.  Then use the hydrometer to put the stuff from the glass back in all the cells.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Stern is certainly right.  If you really want to equalize everything, use your hydrometer to withdraw an equal amount from the other cells, putting it in a clean glass container.  Add two or three tablespoons of distilled water and stir.  Then use the hydrometer to put the stuff from the glass back in all the cells.

That sounds easy enough , thanks

Don't start playing around with the acids, you already spilled some. Add distilled water, well over the plates, not quite full. Charge fully and then top the cells with distilled water.

ccbreder said:
Don't start playing around with the acids, you already spilled some. Add distilled water, well over the plates, not quite full. Charge fully and then top the cells with distilled water.

I spilled it because of poor lighting , missed the hole slightly when putting the electrolite back in.