A water heating pot and DIY wood heater idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
Last winter, imagined a couple of ideas relating to heating. I AM sure someone else has done this, if you have built what is described or something similar; share.

Idea #1 is a multipurpose pot for a portable and effective water heater usable on any stove-top.
Idea #2 is a multipurpose fireplace, cooking stove, and water or air heater. The water or air heater takes in pumped or gravity fed water and what comes out is piping hot, lukewarm or scalding depending on the fire underneath. Air is capable of being forced through the same pipe which is like a solar water heater in shape and flow, heating the air. Idea #2 is a effective small space (like a van) multipurpose firebox what I thought of (and I AM sure someone else has and built it before).

Your picture is so huge it's impractical to see it. You need to shrink it before uploading it.

Are you going to put this in a van?
Bob

back when I lived in my stepvan, a buddy of mine gave me a tiny pot-belly woodstove (a really cool little unit...wish I still had it).

it had a chamber built right into the back of it for plumbing a water line into to make hot water. I've never seen one like it before...or since.

Pic is impossible to see......
"Cropping" is a good thing. ;-)
An application like Irfanview makes sizing pics for forum use very easy.

akrvbob said:
Are you going to put this in a van?
Bob

Probably, because wood can be found almost everywhere. Wood is basically free, and a renewable resource. Downside is it's only usable outside of urbanite areas and the city in general. As hikers say, Two is One and One is None. Having a second heat source like this augments a propane heater. I find Two is One and One is None true with everything in life, have a backup.

well the pics gave me a headache. that one that looks like a hose coiled up you could just throw in the camp fire. someone used to make those. I have seen the wood stoves with the heat exchangers, nowadays the stove manufacturers just hang a water reservoir on the side. on the heat exchanger they work better if you use a pump to circulate the water. they are very slow if you just let thermal temp differences heat the water. of course be safe and do not let these build pressure they are a lot safer if you leave it open to atmospheric pressure. if you do a closed system make sure you have a safety valve. one other note it seems that stainless tubing works better than copper, longer life. highdesertranger

Zodi makes a fire coil system.. I saw it online yesterday, but have no idea if it is worth the money.