A Starting Point - 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMadYesHappy

Reaction score
Here's my intended first step:
27234361119_a0e380859a_z.jpg

I'll be taking this (the vehicle in the above photo) to the RTR in January.  I'm coming to learn, test, feel, breathe ...

Then, I'm coming home and back to my mechanic job to garner working capital, sell my house and other extraneous "stuff", build out an enclosed cargo trailer before launching in earnest in 2 1/2 - 3 years (my full retirement age).  IF I can hold out that long!  I REALLY want to pull the trigger now.  I think I might try to appease that urge in me by setting out for a few days as time and resources permit.  The RTR will tell me if that will work.

My pie-in-the-sky, end goal "wish" list would be:

- a four wheel drive van OR a Chevy Suburban/Ford Expidition
 - a 7' wide by 6' tall by 12-14' foot long, single axle cargo trailer
 - an off road motorcycle (or electric bicycle?, or keep the Harley?)
 - 400W/AHr of solar (I am a tech geek, I NEED electrons!)
 - a 2000W gas generator for emergencies
 - 40+ acres somewhere remote that I can build a tiny off grid home on and/or camp on when I am not wandering.

But, the Santa Fe will do for now.
If anyone else has a Hyundai Santa Fe that they are living in, I'd love to hear your feedback!  :)

db
~

Start with what you have.  That's a good beginning.  Things will become more clear.  Ford, Chevy, van, suv, all those decisions  can wait.

The daughter wants to come, too. Bless her heart!
But, clearly, this (Hyundai Santa Fe) is too flipping small!
It was hard (I downright cried!), but the Harley has to go.
I need a trailer, or a bigger vehicle...
I think I'd like to pull an enclosed cargo trailer, or, drive a van, or .... best ... van and cargo trailer.
The daughter could have her space in the van, and I could have my space in the trailer ... or vice versa.
But the Santa Fe is just too small all by itself.

Anyone want a Harley?

:D

Im in a Subaru Forester. You can deck out your ride with proper planning. I have 265 W of solar. A dometic CFX 28, 100AH of battery, and still able to lay down fully at night. I'm at the RTR right now if you want to check it out. I'm on blue street then go right when it forks. Black Forester with Cali plates.

Science - 

I SO wanted to make the RTR, but it was just not in the cards this year.  I very much appreciate knowing that a Santa Fe, or in your case about the equivalent in a Subaru, is doable!  Post some pics!  Would LOVE to see it!  :)

Me too - waiting for the good life is hard! But, this time-between-times is great for clearing the slate, the debt, the excess of all kinds. I'm in Fort Collins and I don't have the space to start on my box van. I'll have to wait for my true retirement age too - but in my  :heart: already there!

Thanks for the tip about the January meet. Am going to look into that. Maybe I can tent it there.