A question more uncomfortable than "Where do you go to the bathroom?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INTJohn said:
...and embrace it debt free.

Since I have no one my creditors could go after, I hope to die owing a pile of money. Or, as the old saying goes, may my last check bounce.

Ha good for you, LOL. Since I didn't see it in this thread, let me add the most despicable words in the English language, depending upon your perception of course .... Power of Attorney.

When my father was dying, my 2 sisters got PoA over his estate, unbeknownst to me. Then 6 months later, much of what he had was gone, gone, gone with the wind, all legal. Then after he died, "I" received a letter in the mail from an attorney a few months later, saying "I" was liable for such and so, and was being sued in a state on the other side of the country. As I was an inheritor in the estate, I was partially liable for the debts my sisters had incurred via PoA. Specifically, in this case, they had taken out a reverse mortgage, and after my father died, it of course became due. By time all was settled, there was essentially no estate left. So much for my sister the lawyer.

Here is a moving and entertaining book to look for (some of you might already be familiar with it):

Driving Miss Norma

"When Miss Norma was diagnosed with uterine cancer, she was advised to undergo surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. But instead of confining herself to a hospital bed for what could be her last stay, Miss Norma—newly widowed after nearly seven decades of marriage—rose to her full height of five feet and told the doctor, “I’m ninety years old. I’m hitting the road.”

And so Miss Norma took off on an unforgettable around-the-country journey in a thirty-six-foot motor home with her retired son Tim, his wife Ramie, and their dog Ringo."

Not a literary triumph, but a good heartwarming story about a woman who was mostly timid her whole life, but bravely chose adventure on the road for the time she had left. If I remember correctly, she'd never been in their RV before. I read it earlier this year, and so this topic reminded me of it.

MrNoodly said:
My attitude has been, if you don't hear from me, don't bother looking. Just let me decompose.

I used to trail ride my horse alone long distances and had an accident policy that paid triple if I died by accident.  I told my daughters not to go looking for me too soon so nobody could tell if I died from the fall or a medical issue.

Very uncomfortable thing to think about. When my brother died with no known (at the time) life insurance I and the other 4 siblings sat down for the first time in ages to discuss our options. It was decided EVERYONE would contribute an equal amount into the funeral expenses. I was scared that I would lose my apartment. Then the life insurance came thru.

His widow got all the money and paid for the service. I didnt want the money. Nor did anyone else save her. Everyone should have a will.

Dont take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive. I think mark Twain said that. If you've never had blood kin die you may not know this but after you pass all your relatives will try and claim your money.

Me? I'm going out the way I came in. Broke and naked.

Qxxx said:
Ha good for you, LOL. Since I didn't see it in this thread, let me add the most despicable words in the English language, depending upon your perception of course .... Power of Attorney.

When my father was dying, my 2 sisters got PoA over his estate, unbeknownst to me. Then 6 months later, much of what he had was gone, gone, gone with the wind, all legal. Then after he died, "I" received a letter in the mail from an attorney a few months later, saying "I" was liable for such and so, and was being sued in a state on the other side of the country. As I was an inheritor in the estate, I was partially liable for the debts my sisters had incurred via PoA. Specifically, in this case, they had taken out a reverse mortgage, and after my father died, it of course became due. By time all was settled, there was essentially no estate left. So much for my sister the lawyer.

Wow that's terrible all around.  But lawyers will say anything, at least some of them, to see if it works. With no power of attorney,  I don't question whether you could be truly liable for anything.  I'm not an attorney, so that is said out of ignorance, of course.  But I worked for them for many years and I do know that they will make outlandish claims and pressure people if they think it will work.

Twice during major earthquakes in Southern California I was on the toilet, and not just reading. The first time, I had my suspicions. By the second time I realized it was no coincidence. Maybe it's only fitting? I'm pretty sure that's how I'm destined to go out. Or at least where.

I have no one to leave anything to who needs it, and precious little to leave. Luckily everything I own is portable enough for my relatives to send it plummeting into a ravine.

The only thing I worry about is a pet having a miserable, lonely death when I die. For that reason, in my late 50's now I think I can get one more dog when my 11 year old one dies, but it will be the last one.

I had a good friend that died on the day of his retirement due to a heart attack while straining on a toilet. Sad but true!

"But lawyers will say anything, at least some of them, to see if it works".

This is also my, albeit limited, experience with lawyers. One thing my sister the lawyer said in the past is, the "first" thing you try to do is just make things go away.

Also, in the past couple of years I've had a bit of experience along these lines, and the responses of the lawyers was just exactly that. Obfuscation and denial, and hope it sticks.

Yup. If you give up, they win without even having to work for it. A lot of effort is put into just getting you to give up, and a ton of money made or saved. It doesn't help that they can go to court all day essentially for free while hanging around old pals, but you'll pay through the nose just to show up in a hostile environment with no experience.

I'll b fulltime in 44 days. I'm 64 and I've thought about that question and the other "what if I get sick". Thanks to all that posted on the subject. I won't have anyone to notify that cares and I've signed my body over to science. I think I'm of the "let me rot" thread.

Welcome to the forum, ODG. You've fallen right into one of the more gruesome discussions. My sister the lawyer keeps saying "make a will, because if you don't have one, things will get tied up in court". More work for the lawyers. Too bad.

When the time comes, I am hoping I can drag myself out of the van and into the open behind a rock or a tree, where the coyotes and birds can pick my bones clean, LOL. Preferable to rotting. Cycle of life.

In the meantime, concentrate more on getting out, having fun and freedom, and don't worry too much about The End. When I want a bit of levity, I listen to this music ... "it's always sunny, in a rich man's world". We all identify with the first 30 seconds of the tune.

Meh, we're all gonna go. It's just a matter of when and what gets us.

Better to make a happy well fed coyote than pay an undertaker $5000.

I've donated my body to science if I'm found in time otherwise wherever I'm at the government can dispose of me and mine any way they chose as I will be gone and not care one way or the other. I have no one to leave what little I have to, besides if I did leave it to someone they would incur the big expense of traveling to where I was to pick up stuff that wouldn't even be worth the price of the trip. No the government can auction off my MH to help with the expense of disposing of me and all will be done

LOL, sounds like in the upcoming years, there might be a lot of vanlife RVs at the bottom of the canyon. Take care of 2 birds, one being the old RV, with one crunch. I knew the southwest was good for something. :angel: