A Good Addition to First Aid Medicine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">For the second time in a month of so, I landed in the ER with a nasty allergic attack.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">On Thursday afternoon I was doing cardiovascular exercising at the gym and suddenly broke out in hives.&nbsp; The hives worsened very rapidly to the point where my lips were so swollen I could barely speak.&nbsp; The whole body turned beet red and I looked like a walking gourd.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I got myself to the hospital and could barely even walk in - there was no strength and the breathing was a little impaired.&nbsp; They hooked me to an IV right away and gave me a bunch of Benadryl (dyphenhydramine) as well as liquid pepcid (the anti acid med that also works on allergic hives).&nbsp; I was coerced into sleeping in a comfortable bed with four meals worth of room service and cable TV...&nbsp;&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The diagnosis was cholinergic urticaria...&nbsp; They blamed it on this formerly sedintary body being exercised a little too hard.&nbsp; I was advised to continue exercising but tp do it lightly and, after sweating, clean up as soon as possible.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">After receiving the meds, it cleared up.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">In discussing camping with the doctors one of them recommended that a person camping should keep Benadryl with him / her in the medicine kit.&nbsp; Not a bad idea.&nbsp; You can get a nice supply at the "Everything is a dollar store"... </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">VT</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

Glad you're ok and been there before. Not a fun thing to have happen to you either. I'm fortunate in that I haven't broken out in hives in quite a long time but they are right. Having benadryl on hand is a good thing for severe allergy attacks.<div><br></div>

Benadryl should be part of your animals' emergency kits also! I keep the kids benadryl, for my dog, in her bug-out bag.<br>

You have went through this rash twice within the month....first it was sort of small...now wide spread.....<br><br>A third time could possibly be Anaphylaxis Shock......<br><br>I would consider asking for a prescription for Epinephrine in a pen form <EM>Epipen</EM>&nbsp;to keep on your person.....in addition to the Benadryl....then go immediately to the closest ER.<br><br>I do know that most wilderness and survival instructors carry a wide variety of first aid supplies to do just about anything in the field for emergency survival and this is one of the things that they recommend to be put in a kit.....<br><br>Just my thoughts but I&nbsp; rather be prepared especially if you are on the road...it may give you the extra time to get to an ER or call 911 to get to your location.<br><br>Good luck....<br><br><br>

<p>I agree with having benadryl handy.&nbsp; If you were to have a reaction that caused your airway passages to swell, you'd be done for in short order.&nbsp; Benadryl and Chlortrimazole (antidrowsy antihistamine formula) are good to have in ER kit.</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks for the suggestions.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I&nbsp;agree that the next incident could be much more severe.&nbsp; This one was scary because the heart started to race, breathing was more difficult, and I felt like zonking out.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I have to meet with the doctor in about 9 days for a routine checkup.&nbsp; I'm going to ask for an Epinephrin pen.&nbsp; Even if insurance won't cover it, I can afford to buy one myself.&nbsp; It's almost a must have now.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Take care and thank you!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

<p>It is good you're going to see the Doc's soon.&nbsp; If you have high blood pressure I have been told not to take Benadryl.&nbsp; But it looks like you don't so there you go.&nbsp; But you may want to ask your Doc if you do have high blood pressure what you can take instead.</p>

rattlesnake joe said:
But you may want to ask your Doc if you do have high blood pressure what you can take instead.
<div><br></div><div>I had high blood pressure before and was told to take Coricidin. It's available over the counter so you won't need a prescription for it. I was skeptical because so many regular allergy meds don't cut it, but this actually worked.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.coricidinhbp.com/" target="_blank">http://www.coricidinhbp.com/</a> </div><div><br></div>