98 E-150?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lease is up at the end of the month and want to jump into the van life. Anything I should watch out for with this year / model?

I've had our '98 for a bit more than five yrs. It has the 4.6 v8. Dunno if I'd like a 6 cylinder van.

Balljoints should be checked and replaced if necessary. Radiator has plastic tanks. The top tank split. It was an easy fix.
The cables for the door latches can be problems but easy to change or fix.

The spark plug change on the 4.6 is a nightmare and the stealership is expensive but necessary.

I haven't had any problem with smog cert. It runs really clean. The tip of the tailpipe has zero evidence of carbon.

It is what it is and they are what they are. I'm having good luck with our club wagon. YMMV

I had one and yes had to replace the radiator. You have to watch it putting the hoses back on correctly because you can put the upper on wrong and it will literally stop the fan from spinning. There's nothing on the hose indicating how it should be installed.

That year had the 4R100 transmission and while it had it's own kinds of issues it was better than the E4OD of the previous C6 reincarnations. IIRC 98 was also the last year of the unibodies. After that the vans were built using separate panels and parts welded together. I found that out after a tornado wiped out my van.

regis101 said:
I've had our '98 for a bit more than five yrs.  It has the 4.6 v8.  Dunno if I'd like a 6 cylinder van.

Balljoints should be checked and replaced if necessary.  Radiator has plastic tanks.  The top tank split.  It was an easy fix.
The cables for the door latches can be problems but easy to change or fix.  

The spark plug change on the 4.6 is a nightmare and the stealership is expensive but necessary.

I haven't had any problem with smog cert.  It runs really clean.  The tip of the tailpipe has zero evidence of carbon.

It is what it is and they are what they are.  I'm having good luck with our club wagon.  YMMV

How does the 4.6 do in the mountains, does it lack power? There is a E150 locally for a good price but I worry it would be under powered in the Rockies.

There is no real singular item I can point you to other than the V6, which is an automatic NO NO NO NO NO!!!!
Those are GARBAGE. The mileage it has is blow-up ville, if it has not popped once already.
Ball-less is an understatement. I would spend a little more on a copy with lower miles on it...and a very different engine.
(There are literally a TON of them @ auction right now.)
60,000 miles...there is a E250 with a different six, the excellent straight six, likely to go cheap with a C6 and 106,000 miles (a MUCH better combination).
Good luck whatever you decide.

Latest posts