76 Ford E250 camper van- no start

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judykazooty

Reaction score
This is a new issue.
Tuesday 6 AM, we were packed and ready to get on the road to the National Forest workcamper job 2 1/2 hours away. (We got it!) Short and long- it just wouldn't start. Turned over, cranked, but wouldnt catch and just couldn't get it to run. Checked everything I could think of. Fan was moving while cranking, sparkplug wires seemed tight, checked recent fuel pump issue below. Made sure it was in park. Brake light was on while cranking- brake fluid was low so added it. Switch to removed second gas tank is said to be an issue on these old ones sometimes so flipped it up and down a couple of times. Battery was good but not full. (12.7 on multimeter)  Added distilled water and charged for a maybe 10 minutes with jumper cables to friend's van until it read full. (13.5 on multimeter). My mechanic has had medical issue this week so his son got on the phone with me had me spray starter fluid into throttle to determine if it was a fuel issue- spray nozzle was busted so couldn't test.

Had it towed to the mechanic where it sat until it could be looked at by the son yesterday. Started right up. He took it out and ran it hard, slowed it down, shut it down, started up, got it up to 90 MPH, ran smooth and quiet, no sounds or pops or noises.

Dont know if this is part of the issue...the prior week we had an issue with the engine dying. Started up fine, sitting in park idling, it just died. More than once. I checked the wire that had been an issue earlier when my mechanic coudn't hear the fuel pump and he had to butt splice the 2 disconnected ends. Further down that wire, I found the insulation had been eaten away by a mouse, so I removed a length of bad wire and replaced.  Driving to the mechanic, it died again... same thing-seemed like no fuel, no sputtering, just no gas getting through, just rolled off to the side of the road. I thought maybe my connection was bad, and it was-I hadn't gotten the crimp well onto the metal part, so he changed the butt connecter and it started right up and wouldnt die. Left there. It died 1/2 mile down the road. Returned. He checked at the fuel pump and found one of the wire stud connection places was corroded and bent and that might explain the intermittent problem- cleaned it up, changed a wire connector. End of issue for days and days until this when it would not start for us until it started just fine for him.

He will try it again this morning cold and see if it will do it again. I asked him to change the fuel filter and then thought since the wires keep popping off the plugs, to maybe get a new set of good ones and change them out as well... any other thoughts? Thanks- Judy

Sounds like fuel pump wiring. I would consider running a positive and ground wire one piece harness temporarily to see if that is the problem or at least check every inch of the existing wire and connections as mice can cause serious problems anywhere they can get.

Thanks bulllfrog- will certainly try this one piece harness idea- everything I can see is now good- but some is bundled in with other wires in electrical tape- may try removing the tape to see what is hiding. Judy

a 1976 Ford should not have an electric fuel pump. does it? if it does someone put an aftermarket fuel pump in. all Fords of that era had issues with their electronic ignition module. has this ever been replaced? your symptoms sound exactly like the failing EIM. highdesertranger

With all the known previous problems with the FP wiring,that would seem to be the primary problem. Ask the mechanic what he would charge to install an original mechanical pump and redo the fuel lines. That would eliminate the wiring problems.

To isolate spark problems you could get an inline spark tester for about $10-15. Tthere are other types available but this is one I'm familiar with:

Attachments

• Spark tester.jpg
    Spark tester.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 5
highdesertranger said:
a 1976 Ford should not have an electric fuel pump.  does it?  if it does someone put an aftermarket fuel pump in.  all Fords of that era had issues with their electronic ignition module.  has this ever been replaced?  your symptoms sound exactly like the failing EIM.  highdesertranger
I agree. Those year vehicles should have mechanical pumps. Have your mechanic put it on the lift and check. Should be easy to spot.
My money is on bad electronics/wiring. Maybe even just a bad ground due to the intermittent nature.

Unless an electric fuel pump was installed, 1976 Ford vans should have a mechanical fuel pump. Along with the ignition module, I would also check the state of the wiring that leads to the dizzy, the fuel filter, and the fuel selector valve, and associated wiring to it.

Most of the time when people delete tired mechanical pumps they throw in cheapo autozone electrics which are prone to issues.
Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Pump, wires, filter, lines, or something is up with the carb itself.
The intermittent-ness of the issue makes me lean towards fuel electrical which would be your electric pump/wiring. Or a goofed ground somewhere.

Also, 12.7v is full charge on a 12v battery. The only reason it reads higher when driving (alternator charging) or charging and shortly after is because it floats high temporarily.

Gideon33w said:
Most of the time when people delete tired mechanical pumps they throw in cheapo autozone electrics which are prone to issues.
Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Pump, wires, filter, lines, or something is up with the carb itself.
The intermittent-ness of the issue makes me lean towards fuel electrical which would be your electric pump/wiring. Or a goofed ground somewhere.

Also, 12.7v is full charge on a 12v battery. The only reason it reads higher when driving (alternator charging) or charging and shortly after is because it floats high temporarily.

Your DuraSpark module is dying. Eventually it won't start at all. It's a 5x5 box under thehood with 2 or 3 connectors depending on application. Go to AutoZone or any big chain auto parts store and they will test it for free. There cheap and also can be converted to use 5pin Chevy hei module, there's tons of diagrams on Google to do it and it works better.

Hehighdesertrangera 1976 Ford should not have an electric fuel pump.  does it?  if it does someone put an aftermarket fuel pump in.  all Fords of that era had issues with their electronic ignition module.  has this ever been replaced?  your symptoms sound exactly like the failing EIM.  highdesertranger

Sorry for the delayed response- I think I mentioned that my mechanic was having medical issues and his son came back from college to help out- he was swamped with work. He got it up and running and just in time for that job with the National Forest. Ok so... it was not the fuel pump. It was the coil that went bad. We got a call to come pick it up and almost immediately got another call to hold off a bit- it wouldn't start again. If I remember correctly, he said it was the ?? control module ?? Would that be the EIM? 
There was too much going on to ask about the fuel pump, but it must have been replaced at some point with an electric fuel pump- it definately is wired.
Thanks for all your expertise. We have moved to the Gila National Forest outside of Silver City, NM, and it is beautiful here.  Will have gotten a reccommendation from a ranger for a mehanic and will get ot know him well, I am sure. Again, thank you all. Judy

Would that be NPS Ranger Rodney at the ruins? If so say hi from Jim in Bullfrog. Enjoy and hope it doesn't get to cold for you to soon.

yes that is the module I was talking about. problematic in that era Fords. highdesertranger

judykazooty said:
We have moved to the Gila National Forest outside of Silver City, NM, and it is beautiful here.  Will have gotten a reccommendation from a ranger for a mehanic and will get ot know him well, I am sure. Again, thank you all. Judy

So glad you got it fixed. Enjoy your stay in the NF.

bullfrog said:
Would that be NPS Ranger Rodney at the ruins? If so say hi from Jim in Bullfrog. Enjoy and hope it doesn't get to cold for you to soon.

Hi bullfrog- nope, not at the Ruins. We are at Gomez Peak/Little Wallnut Rec. Area, 6 miles south of Silver City. Beautiful. Very private. Will get to the Ruins at some point and will say Hi for you. Judy

highdesertranger said:
yes that is the module I was talking about.  problematic in that era Fords.  highdesertranger

I googled it and saw exactly what it was- and you nailed it! Thanks again- Judy

LeaveBehindTheDailyGrind said:
Your DuraSpark module is dying. Eventually it won't start at all. It's a 5x5 box under thehood with 2 or 3 connectors depending on application. Go to AutoZone or any big chain auto parts store and they will test it for free. There cheap and also can be converted to use 5pin Chevy hei module, there's tons of diagrams on Google to do it and it works better.

Thanks LeaveBehind- I looked at pics of the DuraSpark module and there it was! Yep- you guys are great. Appreciate the help-
Judy

get that fuel pump check out,electric fuel pumps usually pump at a higher pressure then mechanical and you need a pressure regulator because the carburetor floats cant handle the added pressure

Gary68 said:
get that fuel pump check out,electric fuel pumps usually pump at  a higher pressure then mechanical and you need a pressure regulator because the carburetor floats cant handle the added pressure

It's on my List Gary- Will do.