7.3 Power stroke, won't start P0475 code

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeBye

Reaction score
Early 1999 F450 7.3 4x4 manual with BD diesel exhaust brake system.

No warning, that I know of, stopped at foot of Saddleback Mountain, Tonopah, AZ yesterday, boondocking last night. 

Decided to check out more site options this AM and motor spins fine just no hint of it wanting to fire up.
No check engine light but keeps throwing a P0475 exhaust back pressure valve malfunction. No other codes.

Before I dive in the steep diesel learning curve with a multimeter and diesel forums I thought I'd check with my homies here for a simple fix that I might be overlooking. 

So if ya got specific ideas fire away. I am just going to gather info till tomorrow and hit it in the morning  
Gracias

Attachments

• 20200123_084651_resize_75.jpg
    20200123_084651_resize_75.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200122_172437_resize_65.jpg
    20200122_172437_resize_65.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 2
It has something to do with the exhaust back pressure valve. Just Google P0475 code and you can read all about it.

.I spent a couple of hours Googling code and troubleshooting it. Was first course of action.

I am not convinced that the P0475 code and no start are related. Googling p0475 no start didn't return much that I found

@maki2
Thanks for the link, best troubleshooting I have found so far.

I have an early 99 F250 with the 7.3 PSD. It did the same thing to me awhile back. It turned out to be a Crank angle sensor on the bottom of the flywheel (front near where the oil pan bolts up). I replaced with an off brand (not OEM), and now occasionally with the intermittant wipers operating, the motor will die for a second while driving. If I am idling with the int wipers on, it will stall the engine every now and then.

Buy the OEM CAS for no future problems with stalling.

Some things that come to mind:
-Camshaft position sensor (I can't remember if this will set a code immediately or if it takes a certain # of start attempts)
-Does your glow plug light come on?
-I think the Injector Pressure Regulator can fail and not set a code initially. You would have to have an extended crank, no high pressure oil builds, code sets. Something like that.
-Can you read data or just codes?
-any smoke out exhaust?

MaTaLa said:
@maki2
Thanks for the link, best troubleshooting I have found so far.
I did think it was very clearly written, a lot better than the average trouble shooting or assembly manual. 

Hope it helps you to sort things out.

CPS failure in 99-2001 7.3's can be detected as no tachometer reading while cranking. But CPS failure should also throw a code or three. I have had to change mine out once, and always keep a spare on board.

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be. I have a second fuel tank and mine wouldn't start once because I had kicked the fuel switch that the previous owner mounted on the floor just under the driver's seat.

Thanks for the help guys! I am going to see if I can rent a scanner that will give diagnostics other than just codes.

Tach registers when cranking
Have to check glowplugs

I am in a decent spot and someone is on the way so I will have transportation besides my ebike

I will update you tomorrow

Following. I wish I could be of practical help as I know all too well how scary it is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with the "bulletproof" 7.3. I think almost everything has been broken and replaced on my 02 7.3 My CPS has never gone out but I have carried a spare for 19 yrs. The last thing has also been mentioned, the expensive and essential Injector Position Regulator. I, unfortunately, am a little inept at mechanics and have spent a small fortune having the truck towed and professionally repaired all over the West. If I was still aimlessly wandering around Arizona I would come and at least run parts for you or pull you someplace else. Some of the forums like FTE 7.3 are very good with many people willing to help. Vaya con Dios amigo.

I know super obvious but I have changed out my starter three times. It's heavy and a pita but very easy and available. Another issue I had lately was parted wires either from rodents or just age and spent 2 days in W TX getting that rewired. These are intimidating machines that can and do have multiple issues in a no-start scenario.

highdesertranger said:
he said it's turning over,  so the starter is not bad.  highdesertranger
Sorry. Actually, the very last time I was inside a plant in Corpus doing a crude loading and the starter was connected but because of the ridiculous roads there one of the bolts holding it broke loose and it wasn't making proper connection with the flywheel so I had to go to town, buy a bolt and reinstall the unit. To reiterate the last time I had crank but no fire it was the IPR sensor and it took two tows and many hundreds out of the bucksbazooka to fix that one. Best of luck brother.

Ok, parked on an incline and must have been a little low on oil, oil change was one of my to-do's in Phoenix.
PCM has low oil sensor, won't fire injectors. My dipstick read 1 & 1/2 quarts low, well within operating capacity but apparently it was low enough to trigger the sensor and shut injectors off. Added about a quart of oil and it fired right up.

The P0475 code is triggered by the addition of the exhaust brake system. It comes back without starting the engine after clearing it.

Thanks for the input

@hdr
I am about 3 days behind original schedule. It would probably this weekend before I made it.
I'll give ya a call soon.

Good. It is always good to hear a cheap and simple fix to a problem. Lesson learned hopefully.

That is a pretty good maintenance required system you got there! LOL!!!

Biggest clue I had was oil pressure gauge having trouble reaching decent pressure when cranking