6'2 and Looking for Sleeping Solutions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick39

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been planning my van build for the last month or so, and have pretty much decided that a Ford E-350 is the best my budget (10,000 max) can afford. I've been looking at how I want to build the bed, and would love to have it sideways in order to save on space. Problem is, I'm 6'2 and am worried that it will not be enough space. How do tall people do their beds usually? I'd like to avoid any kind of bed that requires "set up". I'm pretty sold on a fixed bed at this point. 

Thanks!

A full length twin will fit along the drivers side and can hinge up to the wall without making set up adjustments..

you can adjust to anything in a short time...I drove cross country trucks that had 18 inch and 30 inch beds in them

my 2001 ford has a folding 30 inch bed on the passenger side...I started to make a flat 30 inch bed but decided that if it folded I could still see out half of the oversize side window

However with your height you will be much more comfortable if you get an XL...extra long twin mattress, they are 5 inches longer than a standard twin bed and have the same length as a queen size bed which is 80". You can purchase sheets for them at places such as Bed and Bath or of course from online sources. Not a lot longer but when you relax your feet at night and you don't want to bump your head as well as your toes that 5" makes a noticeable difference in a good night's sleep.

Oops, I should have specified, I have a girlfriend who won't be in the van with me full time, but enough to where one twin bed would be a bit tough. What if I had a twin bed on each side, and they folded down to meet in the middle?

Space is so limited in a van for two people even for a short time and a permanent fixed one means little or no room inside to move or stand.

highdesertranger said:
how about a trailer with a queen size bed? highdesertranger

I've thought about trailer! Just have no idea where to start with those at the moment. I know a Class A is way too much vehicle for me, and I can't find a good place to find used Class C's.

you just need a pull out type of slat bed. Pushed in it works for one, pulled out it works for two. You can even make them in Murphy bed style to fold down from the wall.

A bed behind the driver's seat is called a gaucho and you can make it any length you need. Plenty of storage room under for bins,etc. if you don't go the murphy route.

If your GF is 5'-8" or under she could sleep on a separate bed set on a platform across the back (same height as the gaucho). Several bins will fit under for added storage.

This wouldn't be so great for 'togetherness' but would be OK for shorter length trips or if your travel plans include motels or AirBnB stops.

I can understand wanting one big bed for the occasional visits versus wanting two narrow beds. I like cuddling but then again I also like my own bed if the partner tosses, turns, steals covers or snores like a freight train.

I can speak from experience here.
I'm 6'5" and 300lbs.
My GF is 6'0" and less than half my weight.
I too have a Ford van, an E-150.
We're not living in it full-time right now, but are camping in it several times a month.

My original plan called for a bunk at the back, crossways with her feet in the driver's side corner.
The interior body dimensions at the belt line is 75" wide. Take away an inch or so on each side for foam insulation and paneling, put the space right about 72" or 6'. Basically a twin bunk for her, but a couple of inches shorter.
Less than ideal, but being her own bunk she would have had room to sleep a little diagonally and been fine.

My bunk was going to run down the driver's side wall forming an "L" with her bunk, our feet towards the corner.
My bunk would have been about 80" long, so basically a twin XL for me.
Both bunks would be fixed in position with storage beneath my bunk and nothing under hers, so van could still be loaded with things from the rear.
The 36" bunks would meet in the corner giving us both a large area for shared leg room.
All layouts are compromises but this one allowed both of us to both swing our legs over our bunks for ease of entry and without disturbing the other getting in and out. With the beds made and some pillows against the wall/windows, we had an "L" shaped seating area.

Like I said that WAS my original plan...
Instead she wanted to be able to sleep together and snuggle.
We ended up putting in one sleeping platform crossways in the van.
It is way too short for me, even sleeping at a slight diagonal.
I'm claustrophobic so have to sleep along the front edge, she sleeps at the back and feels closed in.
Long story (sleepers?), short we're miserable.

So now we have a large almost-queen-size-but not long-enough sleeping area that takes up the whole back of the van, permanently affixed and we're not happy with the quality of sleep. We're examining alternatives, including going to my original design. Something definitely has to change.

I'd urge you to go with a twin XL for you and a twin for her.
Whether you make it fold up or it is in fixed position, you'll both be happier with your own sleeping space.
The other alternative is a queen-sized long ways but be prepared to lose a ton of space.
There ARE ways to get a queen-sized, full length bed in an E-150/350 yet retain some floor space by making it disassemble.
But the reality is you probably don't want to be assembling/disassembling things and doing "mattress origami" to make and unmake the bed.

Thanks for the detailed reply! You make a lot of good points, I was going for the fixed queen bed just for the sake of convenience, but your bunk idea is really cool, I'm gonna try and sketch that out later today!

If your interior walls are VERY thin and tight against the van walls (a minimum of foam and paneling at the belt line) you are just at 72" maybe an inch or so longer.
You can probably get a foam (no springs at all) Twin mattress (38" x 75") across the back. A Twin XL (38" x 80") down the driver's side would still leave you some space between the head of your bed and the driver's side for storage/closet.

You could leave the space under her bunk open to slide long things into the van and make the driver's side under your bed all storage.

A fixed queen is 60" wide so you only have 12" left over width-ways and at 80" long, the end of the mattress will be about half-way blocking your small side door (if you have swinging side doors). That long 12" of space along the wall will be wasted as floor space, you can't really swing your legs over because the wheel well is there.

One thing you can do is get some boxes and some cardboard and mock things up. you can sketch it out but until you mock it up, you won't truly visualize it. Another thing you need to consider is the height compromise. I built my platform at 13.5" so I can put standard milk crates and storage bins beneath a platform of 1.5" runners supporting 1/2" plywood with the mattress on top. This means i can't really sit up in the bed. If I went lower, I'd lose underbed storage height. That is another reason for separate bunks, you can go lower with dedicated storage compartments and more room to sit up.