6 volt agm batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>Up to now, I've been shopping for a couple of 12V AGM batteries for my electrical system.&nbsp; However, I've also seen some nice 6V AGM batteries having as much as 220 amp/hour capacity.<br><br>If I should run two 6V AGM batteries (with 220 AH each) in series (to get 12V), would the total amp hour capacity be increased to 440 AH or would it stay at 220 because they are wired in series?&nbsp; <br><br>I understand that no deep cycle batteries should be drained below the 50% mark before being recharged.&nbsp; Having about 220 AH of usable power would be much nicer than having to constantly check on a battery bank which only has 110 AH of usable power.<br><br>

The AH stays the same, but your talking my language with 6 volts. Voltage doubles, AH stays the same. Parallel does the opposite, Voltage stays the same, AH doubles. I'm totally going to run 2 6v batteries in series. Or 4 6 volt in a series/parallel. &nbsp;Lots of RV's, golf carts, and boats use this config. 6 volt batterys have more life cycles and are better at charging and discharging. Batteries wired in parallel can discarge/charge into each other and series will not. Also I think they are more affordable but it's been a while since I checked prices.

I have both 6 volt wet, and 12 volt agm batteries. The 6 volts wired in series are my backups. The 8d agm's are NOT wired in parallel, but separated by a Perko switch. I don't bother with a converter for charging, but have a 20 amp inverter/charger. If you lose 1 six volt battery, you are SOL. If you lose one 12 volt, you can still limp on with half your battery capacity. I also did not connect my alternator for charging. To do an efficient job, I would have to have at least a 150 amp alternator, and that is more than I want to pay ($400), and even then it would not bring my batteries to 100%. I have to get up to 14.4 volts at the bulk stage of charging for several hrs. to charge the agm's. 8 hrs. total for both agm's. To retain your 12 volts if something happens to 1 battery, you would need 4 of those 6 volt agm's. No problem if money or weight is no object.