4x4 conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyuubs

Reaction score
Ref thread:&nbsp;https://vanlivingforum.com/post/A-long-awaited-hello-6212620<br><br><br>Thats what I picked up, its a '10 (approx) wheelbase dually RWD van. &nbsp;I want to be able to get out into some remote BLM/Mining/Nat forest trails with it. &nbsp;I have no experience in the west coast driving offroad, but I know I would&nbsp;definitely&nbsp;need it in the east coast (mud and whatnot). &nbsp;Does anyone have experience taking their home on offroad trails in the west/converting a chevy base from IFS to solid axle 4wd? &nbsp;I would like some advice on this one, because I used to drive jeeps and hate getting stuck unprepaired, and I've no doubt I will be driving my truck on the unbeaten path.

&nbsp;It would be cheaper and far easier to stick in a locking rearend instead.. unless it already has one. Posi can make it alllllmost as good as a 4x4. ..Willy.

willy is right on again.&nbsp; a dually with with a locker or posi will go almost anywhere a 4x4 can go(emphasis on almost) just&nbsp;watch your ground clearance high center will get you stuck 4x4 or not.&nbsp; the best of both worlds is an air locker.&nbsp; highdesertranger

&nbsp;Years ago I had an old Hunter green '67 IH 1/2 ton pickup truck that I sold to a friend for $200. It had a posi rearend (that was all) and he took that heavy beast all over in the mountains. He pulled more than a few 'stuck' 4x4's outta the mud; they laughed when they saw him coming, but shut up right quick when he yanked them out and kept on goin'. ..Willy.

I restored a E100 1966 Ford Econoline once and I put a restored limited slip rear axle under it. It was helpful but definitely not a 4wd....<br><br>I also had a 4wd converted 1991 Ford E250 van done by a professional convertor in the Portland OR area...can't remember the name......it sucked....it had a very limited distance between the axles and the rubber stops on the chassis....unbelievable thumping and limited travel on rough country...I would never own another...that is just my experience....Possible a Quigley conversion would be better....<br><br>I also only got a max of 15 mpg as well with a a 351 and E4OD tranny and an upgraded computer for the tranny....<br><br>Bri

I didn't even think of locking the rear end (posi's/lsd suck offroad and I won't touch them, bad times when those clutches over heat and blow up/seize), although they are pretty expensive and axle specific (unlikely to find used). &nbsp;I'd need a selectable locker as well, because I wouldn't want to be running a detroit/weld setup in my rear end for long trips on road. &nbsp;It would easily end up costing two or three times what I actually paid for the rig.&nbsp;&nbsp;Being that I do all the labor myself, I think I'd much rather absorb the pain in the ass to convert it (its a learning experience!) than pay the money for a shiney new locker I can throw in the rear end.

so you are going to convert an ifs chevy to a straight axle.&nbsp; imho not a good idea.&nbsp; what parts are you going to use ie front axle, &nbsp;transfer case,&nbsp; springs.&nbsp; seeing chevy hasn't built a straight axle 4x4 since '91 unless you count the kodiak = lots of headaches.&nbsp; what about all the adapters or custom parts what happens when they fail sometime later.&nbsp; i know there are several places in the western&nbsp;part of the country where if you break something like this in the middle of nowhere you in deep dodo.&nbsp; is there a transfer case that will even bolt to your trans or do you need to change that to.&nbsp; what about your frame width versus the axle spring width.&nbsp; not trying to discourage you, well maybe i am.&nbsp; i could do this job and do know what parts to use but would i or would i recommend it, no.&nbsp; highdesertranger

I'd probably use a Dana 44 or a Dana 60 (if i could afford it).... both of which have been used in hundreds of different makes and models, including chevys, since the 40's. &nbsp;They are incredibly easy to find parts for, and one of the main reasons I would be doing the conversion would be to eliminate all the moving parts on the IFS system, some of which are specific down to year and make and can be very hard to find on an 80's vehicle these days. &nbsp;There are also a plethora of 4x4 driveline combos (trans/tcase) that bolt up to a chevy 350, so there would be no need for any adapters. &nbsp;I need a new trans anyway, but even the stock transmission (TH350) has about 30+ years of transfer cases that will bolt up to it. &nbsp;The axle brackets would be welded straight to the frame, and the whole setup would be&nbsp;incomparably more durable than the stock IFS. &nbsp;Its got 1ton chevy driveline, which was designed to bolt up 44's and 60's to it anyways, so the frame supports are already in the proper places, all Id have to do is weld on the new bracketry. &nbsp;One of my goals in the conversion would be simplicity and durability, so I'd have to disagree on the getting stranded with no parts, as the parts I would be putting in are under multiple vehicles you see every day, both new and old.

Seth, you seem to be familiar with the hardware involved so I don't need to comment on that part of your question. Understand that you won't recoup much of your conversion costs at resale. But I'm sure you are already aware of that. <br>&nbsp;I llive in California and spend much of my time in the Mojave desert. I like "roads less traveled" and love the solitude. Most of those tracks involve quite a bit of soft sandy washes and flats. My vehicle is a 96 Dodge dually standard cab pickup with 4X4 and limited slip rear end and a 8' camper on the back. A heavy rig. I wouldn't think of tackling some of my spots without 4X4. The limited slip helps a lot but that heavy front end really needs traction to move on soft sand. I also carry a means of airing all my tires back up in case I need to deflate them for the sand, but I haven't needed to do that yet. <br>&nbsp;To be sure there are lots of places I have gone with 2 wheel drive, but the places I like require 4X4 and the compound low gear speed. <br>&nbsp;I hope this helps and good luck on your travels.<br>-Bill-

hey kyuubs for some reason i thought it was a newer van you were going to convert then i saw you have an older van which will make it easier.&nbsp; it seams you are pretty determined to do this so i say good luck.&nbsp; a couple tips a dana 44 is to light duty for your app.&nbsp; the heaviest truck they were put on was 3/4 ton.&nbsp; you need a dana&nbsp;60, one tough front axle.&nbsp; if your van is a dually you will want dually front also. &nbsp;same rim and tires.&nbsp; dana 44 never came in a dually configuration.&nbsp; also a turbo 350 is way to light duty for that app it will work for a while but imo will not be reliable.&nbsp; need a turbo 400 minimum.&nbsp; the spring hangers should not be welded to the frame they should be bolted welds will fail from fatigue.&nbsp; the first time chevy offered 4 wheel drive was 1958 all before were conversions.&nbsp; for&nbsp;many reasons you will want somewhat newer axle and transfer case they started using what most people call a common dana 44 was in 67 but didn't start making a 4x4 dually 1 ton with a dana 60&nbsp; was like '77 or '78.&nbsp; also go with a new process 205 transfer case anything else is inferior.&nbsp; i still believe your van frame width will not match any gm front axle.&nbsp; i know for a fact in the rear they are different.&nbsp; i give this advice from experience.&nbsp; been there done that on many different vehicles have also upgraded many to heavier duty parts ie axles, transfer cases, transmissions, etc.&nbsp; if you need any help from someone whose done this feel free to ask i try to help if i can. &nbsp;highdesertranger

well i bought my van after it was converted. &nbsp;However, I have to say it it a total BEAST in 4wd mode. &nbsp;Previous owner had it converted.<br><br>check this guy out. &nbsp;top notch IMO.<br><br>http://www.ujointoffroad.com/<br><br>OH if you go to the 4x4 van builds page, mine is the sky blue one almost all the way at the bottom of the page.