40 hrs per Week Job ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian_and_Jesse said:
Your post made me smile, OG, as does your sig line. :)  Anyone who's been on the road for over half a century should consider giving seminars to those with one foot out the door.  I think you'd be great at it.  JMHO.

Shalom,

Jesse.

I do occasionally give seminars at some of the rallies, especially the ramblers & road warriors, even though it is mainly passing on information taught to me by people far more knowledgeable than myself.

At the age of almost 69, at some of the rallies I still feel like the youngster.  There's still an amazing amount of 80-90 year old's still enjoying life on the road.  One day I hope to be one of them...

I work full time at Home Depot. Until Aug 23, 2015. Then I'm free. I have made the decision that I will be building up my etsy and ebay business and become self employed when I leave. I can no longer tolerate working for other people. Too many recent upheavals in my life. I recently found out that I will have to quit and try to get rehired at another HD rather than transferring (be on the road too long to transfer). Rehiring means I lose my full time status. We just heard the part time employees at our store will be working 20 hours or less. No more will be able to work over. I can't live on 20 hours. Not the way they tend to work you on a 20 hour shift (short hours on maximum days instead of 8 hours for a couple of days). If it doesn't work out, I can always get another job somewhere. After making this decision, I have slept very well for a change. Can't decide if it is the decision or the fact that I am spending a few days with my kids.

For my first few months, I plan on staying near the coast. I've been in too much desert. I need to be around water for a while. For the summer, I will opt for TN/NC for a month or two. Then work my way south as the weather cools. This is how I want to live. Can't do that while working for someone else.

Personally, I don't believe in waiting for the golden years. I've met many who were disappointed when they retired and were instead greeted by the pyrite years. I've got 19 years before retirement and until then ... I'm making every minute of them Golden now. 

I enjoy working regardless of it being 40 or more hours a week. I mean as long as it's something I really want to do. I left a 20 year career in IT two years ago and changed my life because I no longer enjoyed working in tech as much as I still love playing with tech. I work in animal welfare and live full time in my travel trailer now. I earn a lot less than I used to, but I need a lot less than I used to too. I am anchored because of the job, but it's in a very rural area. I'm in a tiny little town which is surrounded by pure beauty for miles. Some of those miles are both national and/or state parks as well as BLM land. It takes me moments to be away from it all if I need to. 

I believe I'm much closer to being the person my beagle thinks I am.

sl1966, good career move. Happiness plus smaller income beats unhappiness and more $. How often have we been told that money doesn't buy happiness? Rents it for a while yes but not true happiness. Sounds like you have a beautiful area to reside in. What kind of TT and what are your power sources?

dusty98 said:
sl1966, good career move.  Happiness plus smaller income beats unhappiness and more $.  How often have we been told that money doesn't buy happiness?  Rents it for a while yes but not true happiness.  Sounds like you have a beautiful area to reside in.  What kind of TT and what are your power sources?

Thanks Dusty! I started out in a 16 ft (KZ Sportsman Classic) but upgraded to a 20 ft (Coleman - Made by Keystone) recently. My old trailer was my first and not the best built. I've learned a lot in the last year of living in my old one as well as quality rv construction. I'm currently on shore power because I reside in one of the local RV parks in the town I live in. The rent is far cheaper than anything I've ever paid before so it's not really putting me out. I did buy, and returned, a Honda EU2000i generator before coming out here. I took it back because I knew I'd be staying at the RV park and wouldn't need it. I have nested away the money I spent on it should I need to buy it later.

Those who say money does not buy happiness have never bought bacon with it. 

A few posts back someone mentioned "sitting around doing nothing" at retirement. What about "now having time to do the things I've always wanted to do"? Like: traveling, getting a fun and interesting little part time job, playing with the grand kids, finishing up those projects you never had time to finish, visiting with old friends - who are also retired, starting new hobbies, enjoying nature - now that you have time... I could go on, but my typing finger is getting tired.

Marie said:
A few posts back someone mentioned "sitting around doing nothing" at retirement. What about "now having time to do the things I've always wanted to do"? Like: traveling, getting a fun and interesting little part time job, playing with the grand kids, finishing up those projects you never had time to finish, visiting with old friends - who are also retired, starting new hobbies, enjoying nature - now that you have time... I could go on, but my typing finger is getting tired.

Yes, one of my friends who retired a couple of years ago couldn't figure out within about 2 months where she ever found the time to work she was so busy doing stuff that was way more fun.

I'm seriously looking forward to being fully retired. I've slowly been doing less and less work at a job where I can choose how much I do. If it weren't for a pesky boss always wanting me to do more AND tell him what I'm doing (sheesh), I might actually keep the job! His persistence in pushing more work has made my mind up - I'm going out to play!! :D Full time, all the time!

After watching my parents work their asses off for years and always talking about 'the golden years' where they would retire and tour the world only to be too worn out and spent to do anything but sit in an easy chair or couch and watch the idiot box... Both died of cancer. I swore to myself yeArs ago I would not do the same thing. Already got cancer once and I am only 51. I live my life for today, I will pay for it tomorrow. If the fishing is good I go fishing. Hiking. Backpacking. Whatever. The golden years are now, not when you are too old and worn out to enjoy it. Yes I miss the money but the money isn't worth it if I am not healthy enough to enjoy it.

My life changed a bunch over this past year too.

I am now punching a time clock. (first time in almost 30 years). My local commercial sign shop recruited me last fall, but I still have my own custom shop going, and so between the 2 jobs, I'm working over 70 hours a week regularly.
When I go in to work tomorrow morning, I'm gonna hafta break the news to my boss that I'm going to have to drop down to working part time for him, or else I'll be facing a serious burn-out...and I don't want that.
I love working for this guy too, but I make considerably more money working for myself, and he well knows this.
I've been piling up my own work so much that I've actually lost a job because I couldn't get to it fast enough, and that I don't like.
But I'm also pushing more into building my on-line business, so that I can work completely from home and be able to travel ALOT more...and that is a major driving force (pardon the pun) for me in my life.

Alan Watts puts this all into perspective very nicely...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Almost There,,,,are you going to have to change your name to "There"?

rvpopeye said:
Almost There,,,,are you going to have to change your name to "There"?
 Haha, nope I'll likely never be 'There' completely!

Of course it's been said often that I'm not completely there anyways.... :D :D  

There's always somewhere else to be!

It came from travelling with the kids and the answer to 'are we there yet' - we're 'almost there'!!

Ahh yes , I remember that....
"When We Get There , You'll Know It!"
I'm not all there too , but I'm a musician so no one notices.
Skuh kuh kuh kuh

I never discovered it until after I was retired, and actually got into it by accident to help a friend pay off his wife's medical bills, by helping him with his online business.

Since then, I've got to say that online is the only way to go. You can work when you want and where you want, and the money is so good you're all set.

I've got more online income now than I'll ever need, but I'm currently working on expanding for the express purpose of helping other vandwellers.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I never discovered it until after I was retired, and actually got into it by accident to help a friend pay off his wife's medical bills, by helping him with his online business.

Since then, I've got to say that online is the only way to go.  You can work when you want and where you want, and the money is so good you're all set.

I've got more online income now than I'll ever need, but I'm currently working on expanding for the express purpose of helping other vandwellers.

What do you do online, OG? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Jesse.

For a while I sold PLR (Private Label Rights) products. You could easily make $25k-$30k on a single product within a month or so. This is how we paid for my friends wife's medical bills, then after they were paid off, I would do 1 or 2 products a year for myself.

While I was doing that, I was also building up a website hosting business, which is all I have been doing for a while now for $60k last year. I like it because it is nearly a hands free business vs. the PLR stuff that was more of a hands on business. Slower money, but still at least $40k more than I spend in a year, and I spend all I want on enjoying life along the way.

My newest adventure here in the last several weeks is setting up a site with resources for full timers to make money online while they are on the road. In the last few weeks I've spent about $3k on purchasing memberships in a PLR program for other vandwellers, and I want to at least get a site put together with a lot of good resources that I can offer for free in an attempt to help solve the financial problems of many of the people living on the road.

In the last few weeks I've joined about a hundred programs with an average cost of around $100 each in my quest to find stuff I can recommend. So far I have only found two that look promising. There's a LOT of total rip offs out here!

With any luck sometime soon I will start a thread with a link to my yet to be created site with at least 10 good resources on it. Ones that I will have personally tested and make sure they do what they promise. To date, I have been unable to find a legitimate site anywhere offering these types of resources. Instead, they're all just after your money, and what you get after you paid is pretty pathetic.

One day I would love to be able to give seminars at the rallies about making money online.

Off Grid 24/7 said:

Since then, I've got to say that online is the only way to go.  You can work when you want and where you want, and the money is so good you're all set.

Would you teach me?

Off Grid 24/7 said:
<snip> My newest adventure here in the last several weeks is setting up a site with resources for full timers to make money online while they are on the road. <snippety snip> With any luck sometime soon I will start a thread with a link to my yet to be created site with at least 10 good resources on it.  Ones that I will have personally tested and make sure they do what they promise.  To date, I have been unable to find a legitimate site anywhere offering these types of resources.  Instead, they're all just after your money, and what you get after you paid is pretty pathetic.

One day I would love to be able to give seminars at the rallies about making money online.

Off Grid, thank you for this. There are so many 'schemes' out there and a noob hasn't got the time or resources to learn all about it from scratch - I'm sure I'd be appalled if I saw how many dollars and hours you've spent just to get to NOW, much less vetting the resources as you are doing here. Thank you for walking the talk. I look forward to learning what you offer!

Working 60 hours a week. 10 days on and 4-5 off. If you love hours, oil/natural gas industry is where its at!