4" Black Pipe Roof Mounted Solar Shower, Effective? Worthwhile?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
Having seen these occasionally, wonder if they are worthwhile or not. The simple fact that they are not that widespread tells me that they are limited. It obviously kills stealth and lugging that water around up high doesn't help center of gravity and handling, yet appears to be a decent trade-off to get extra water capacity and showers. Seems ideal for the SW.

Anyone with one care to share their experience as to worthwhile or not?
And does it warm the water at all during the months of Dec-Jan in the SW?

As long as sun is shining and outside temps aren't too low you get some warming.

For COG concern, fill after parking.

Aside from the center of gravity problems, the main problem is getting the water up there in the first place.

Can you stand on the ground and reach the inlet well enough to do the job. If not, you're going to be carrying a ladder or step stool. Can you fill it from jugs that you carry or are you going to have to source out a tap and carry a hose as well.

Are you prepared to *only* be able to shower in the same location as the van each time.

Yes the black tubing will heat water but how much water do you think you need to carry - I shower quite nicely with a 2 1/2 gallon water sprayer that I can move away from the van and use a privacy tent wherever it's most convenient for me. I can fill the sprayer with water on hand in the desert. I can also heat the water on the stove if need be. The shower sprayer takes up way less room than a step stool and garden hose ever would. The water I carry in jugs can be used for anything I need it to be used for. Once you're filled up the black tubing on the roof the only thing that water is good for is showering.

The reason it's not so commonly used is that it has several problems that are much easier solved with other shower facilities.

I have used a standard solar shower successfully for years (not exclusively) and they are much easier to fill and pack away in a much smaller package when not in use. Nothing says "new van-lifer" to me than a black tube strapped on top of their rig. The reason you rarely see them is because after a few months those same noobs remove it after realizing just how much of a pain it is to have and fill.

Does it work? sure

It is better than the dozens of other products that you can get for cheaper and less energy to fill? Nope.

Personally I'd never recommend one

There's a guy marketing a fancy/expensive version of this. After a lot of trial and error he realized, among other things, that plastic isn't a very good heat conductor. So he makes his from aluminum painted black.

Almost There asked, "Are you prepared to *only* be able to shower in the same location as the van each time." And and I ask, do you want mud or a puddle next to your vehicle?

Related to this, most people put racks on their vans, and then attach solar panels and everything else to that, which kills stealth of course.

I wonder, has anyone tried some sort of foam cushioning material material that can be successfully glued directly to the roof of the van, without too much damage to the paint, and to which various whatnots can then be glued firmly enough that they don't blow off? Would likely take some special kind of glue. Just wondering.

Haven't hard of that foam business, but have seen people talking about using those kind of big magnets with handles on them, and also big suction cups with handles on them, to attach fairly heavy stuff onto their rigs. Some of those suction cups are used to carry very heavy panes of glass, so they must be quite strong.

Re the black tubing for showers, I did see a youtube of a guy who had one on the back of his truck and liked it. Some of those are very expensive. I think the BigtruckBigRV channel has a video out on them.

What I do for showers is use a black bucket with a black lid, leave it out in the sun to heat up. Sometimes two. A battery powered showerhead and a pop-up utility tent, and I get a wonderful shower. None of it takes up much space or weight, and a bucket is a nicely multi-purpose item. So is the utility tent.

Lots of good points and like everything, compromises, and depends on ones situation.
Access, convenience, situational value and preferences. No different to fill than any RV water hookup if using pressure supply.
And yes, if you're vertically challenged, high mounted accessories are a pain and inconvenient. Unless one has a bolted on ladder.

This might be a game changer or tip the balance to fill easily, $9 pump.
https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html

Another option would be coiled one inch tubing on the roof. Think roaming kat built a box with a black hose coiled flat inside with a Plexi cover.
Hook it up to a pump and voila, hot water!
Ideally.
I'm using a 2 gallon garden sprayer which is fine but I think about building the 4" abs setup or coiled tubing and if it's worthwhile.

No reason a supply line can't be run up into the main pipes. Just a silcock valve and a short run up to the main tank's. hook up the hose and open the valve then turn on the supply water. Open the shower head to allow the air to bleed out. Seems like it would be a simple setup.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk