340Watt - $117

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sofisintow said:
The controller shows 21 Volt - 0.3 KW, which IS 300 Watts.
So I'm happy.

You are on the wrong setting. the 0.3kw is a load reading. Look at the PV readings for power coming in from the panel.

Show her a diagram or video that explains where it is supposed to be tested from. Frequently visual aids makes more sense to people who are not experts in testing such things.

Jim, I've got hazy daylight here all day in Ohio.
Panel numbers in these conditions at 11:00 AM, 22* are;
IMP 3.4
VOC 21.7
Panel size is 26.25" x 44.5" w/ only 4 grommets.
R China 100 watt panel.jpg

I'd love to find a 300+ watt flexible for under $200 but it's not gonna happen.

Attachments

• R China 100 watt panel.jpg
    R China 100 watt panel.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 7
All the 300-watt panels I've seen online are much larger

ridgeway said:
You are on the wrong setting. the 0.3kw is a load reading. Look at the PV readings for power coming in from the panel.
I had no load on except for the display panel of the mppt charger.

I know, right? They are out of 120 and 240s, and the 340 is $117.
Even if it turns out to be 100, I will complain but keep it... Delivery on the 26th. We'll see.
Let's update this.
The panel was $100 watt, but still a good deal
I put it on my roof with 3MVHB tape, and it is still holding strong.
BUT
I noticed a couple of days ago that my battery was only 12.2 Volt (60% or so) despite the van sitting in the sun.
I checked the panel, and the top plastic layer was dried out and opaque - milky looking, so not much light getting through.
I softly sanded some of it off and sprayed the panel with clear gloss KRYLON, so it is transparent again, but I don't know how long this will last.
For now it is charging again.

SOOOOO, the panel barely lasted a year and 6 months before it needed mending, and the future is unknown.
When I replace it, I will use the regular glass, rigid ones.

Last edited:
I bought eight 255-watt used Canadian Solar panels for $60 each for San Tan Solar. Down here in South Texas, I can average 1500 watts in summer and 1300 in winter. These panels are from large commercial installations. The ones I received were pretty much blemish-free and barely 3-years old.

Let's update this.
The panel was $100 watt, but still a good deal
I put it on my roof with 3MVHB tape, and it is still holding strong.
BUT
I noticed a couple of days ago that my battery was only 12.2 Volt (60% or so) despite the van sitting in the sun.
I checked the panel, and the top plastic layer was dried out and opaque - milky looking, so not much light getting through.
I softly sanded some of it off and sprayed the panel with clear gloss KRYLON, so it is transparent again, but I don't know how long this will last.
For now it is charging again.

SOOOOO, the panel barely lasted a year and 6 months before it needed mending, and the future is unknown.
When I replace it, I will use the regular glass, rigid ones.
I’m just getting ready to put my flexible solar panels on my van…Is it a good idea to spray my panels with KRYLON clear gloss before installing to avoid the dried out opaque problem you described?

I’m just getting ready to put my flexible solar panels on my van…Is it a good idea to spray my panels with KRYLON clear gloss before installing to avoid the dried out opaque problem you described?

I would not put anything on them. If the panels aren't purchased yet, my understanding is (if one is dead-set on flexible panels) the way to avoid this form of degradation is to buy versions encapsulated with ETFE.