2wd Lift kit/ 4wd options E-series

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auto360

Reaction score
I am anti 4x4 conversion and I am anti doing suspension lifts on independent suspension vehicles. so I don't think you really want my opinion. I say do a 1 inch body lift and put the tallest tires on that do not rub. highdesertranger

HDR,

Just out of curiosity why that opinion? I'm just guessing here but is it because it messes with factory settings which can lead to problems and added expenses? Or a decrease in gas/fuel mileage which that would be fact.

I'm kinda anti-performance mods such as adding a bunch doo-dad's to increase power so I may know where your coming from. But obviously many would disagree with me.
Matt

several reasons. I think it's probably along the same lines you are refer to with performance mods. the steering geometry on a lifted independent suspension vehicle can never be correct. you have components operating outside the ranges they were designed for, which never leads to longevity. after about 40k miles the front end is usually toast. or you are constantly replacing components. ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arms, idler arms, tires, bushings, steering boxes all will prematurely wear. when I look for trucks to buy for me or my friends I will not even look at a truck that is lifted unless the asking price is dirt cheap and we are going to part it out. about the same reason for a 4x4 conversion but with the conversion you have parts that can't be bought anywhere except from the conversion company if they are still in business. highdesertranger

Yup, all valid points. I wouldn't buy a previously lift vehicle either.

I've had 4x4 (Jeep CJ5 w/stock open diffs) before.

These days I am thinking an e-series with a limited slip diff like a TrueTrac or GM van w/OEM g80 locker would be more appropriate for my needs than 4wd. I'd be getting into and out of boondocking sites where the road may have turned suddenly muddy or something. No recreational 'wheeling or jeeping. :) I'd still have to watch that ground clearance.

Auto360 said:
So, I mentioned in a previous post that I prefer the E-series over the Chevy. I'm not really brand bias but maybe in this case I am. I'm into the off-road scene and there is a significant number of up-grades for the E-series for off pavement use.

Thus far, I've done two 4x4 conversions. My first is my personal '89 Dodge B150 using an totaled pathfinder as the template, and a custom job to a Toyota Hilux.

Some observations from my Dodge:

if you going to do it, do it to a Ford. Its engine offset, and full frame make for a better platform to work with then Dodge, or Chevy. I've been heavily considering selling (or trade) my old '78 Dodge Surveyor class-B for an equivalent Ford just because of the advantages I see in the Ford's chassis design when it comes to 4x4 conversions.

I've taken alot of measurements of the front end of my '86 Ford class-B back when I was exploring a 4x4 conversion to it. (Can't due to location of grey water tank, and my G/F loved the toilet, so the tanks gotta stay.) and compared to my Dodge 4x4 van, it would have been to take alot less fab work. I'm pretty torn on either using a TTB Dana-50 out of an old F250 (perfect width), or use the driver side drop dana 44 I already have thats been modded to van width.

Steamjam,

If you check out U-joint off road you'll see he's got the 4x4 conversion down to a science. I won't go so far as to say it's bolt on but it is close. This guy definitely cares about quality and the number of conversions he's done in the relatively short time he's been doing them is impressive. But, he doesn't cut corners so the kit is not cheap. Going to the site you'll see what I mean.
I'm kinda torn right now. I like his conversion. I wouldn't be looking to go rock crawling with my van but there are situations where not only 4wd drive would help, but just having a low range and locker would be beneficial. 
It would be much cheaper to go with a 2wd lift kit, a locker and a properly rated winch. My van is the extended body and I really need to get that overhang in the rear up a little.
HDR has some good points about not doing anything, and while I generally agree with him I would like to get some more frame clearance...and at the very least a locker. I have slightly larger BFG All-Terrains on it now. I'm not a fan of big tires because of the stress they put on virtually every suspension component. 33" is the largest I would go and even that I'm not sure is necessary in my uses. 
Of course there are the arguments of do you really need 4wd? But, that really can't be argued because of the infinite number of variables.   

For me, home base is the southwest and my van now has over 205,000 miles and the body and interior is in excellent shape. Plus I have the 7.3 diesel which has been proven to go several hundred thousand miles. I think it could be worth the expenses....if it was a van from say, Michigan, maybe not so much. 

Time will tell...

You know you could just have the transfer case installed behind the transmission WITHOUT putting the front axle and drive shaft in.  Leave the front end stock 2WD.  That would give you the low-range option.  And it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I am not against getting the tallest tire you can and a locker/posi. even a winch. highdesertranger

HDR, 
Hey, didn't mean to single you out. I totally understand where your coming from.

I have thought about just doing a transfer case. Plus, should I later decided to complete the conversion I could do so! 

Btw, hope you guys are going to the rtr!

I did what HDR suggests and got a factory limited slip on my van, I was planning on adding tire chains, pair of maxtrax, and some kind of winch to my van kit as well as the normal everyday come-along and recovery straps most people seem to have. 4WD would be nice, and if anyone makes a good solid front axle conversion kit for a Transit I might look into it, but at the non-DIY conversion prices I had to pass on it for all I figured I'd actually "need" it.

I saw that U joint kit on the "More we Explore" van couple that was on the Enigmatic Nomadic channel recently and it looked very nice, he showed all the components when he was unboxing it in his driveway in one of the videos. I would not hesitate to use that kit if I had an E-series.

Auto360,

I also really dig on the U-Joint conversions. They are well engineered and yes, you can tell the owner really cares about the stuff he puts out. If he didn't, his stuff would just be another SAS kit and he wouldn't have bothered to design the it around dana-60's.

This is why the Fords are better suited for 4x4: (from the Ujoint site)
[img=415x311]http://www.ujointoffroad.com/images/860_P1010371.jpg[/img]
Full frames!

Here's my Dodge:
[img=415x329]http://oi64.tinypic.com/2m3jygl.jpg[/img]

To be honest about the whole thing, I have yet to run into a situation where I really needed the 4x4. It was just nice to have. The front suspension articulation (radius arm) is so poor the van flexes like a cinder block. I couldn't imagine making things worse by going any bigger then the 31's its already got. I could have totally gotten away with an air locker in the rear, and an inch or two of lift with the "off road driving" I've done with it. But the hippie girls love it... Worth it right there haha.

In that sense HDR is right. Leave it alone. My Ford? I don't mod it beyond stuff like overload shocks, and LED light bulbs.. :) With that huge *ss end, the departure angle would be so poor it would hardly be worth going 4x4.

But I can't help it. I love making stuff... :)
I'll eventually do another 4x4 conversion. Just not to a Dodge.

I think it probably boils down to if you have the knowledge, ability and willingness to do this type of work, no reason not to go for it. If you're going to be at the mercy of random shops in random places, stay as stock as possible. At least, that's what I'm taking from it....

amazing, the guy puts a picture of him driving it in salt water. that's a selling point. highdesertranger

Nice Van. Probably worth the $20K

It's pretty nice with the interior but really, it needs a high top.

Ok, 20 grand. Hmmm.

I bought my 03' E350 EB 7.3 five yrs ago for $6500 and it had 142,000 miles. Incredibly good condition. Now, that gives me $13,500 for a conversion. His van doesn't sound like a great deal. I'd say maybe $16,000.

If it had a sportsmobile pop top I could see $20k... think they run around $8k though. I could see paying $15k for it maybe. Not that it's not worth more perhaps, but a lot of that " added value" are from things you just don't get your money back on...