$250, 16 watt "desktop" PC that converts into a tablet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeedAnEscape

Reaction score
For those that prefer desktop style PCs but don't need high performance, this is a great option. I am seeing 16 watt power draw while browsing the web and playing music on headphones, counting my portable hotspot's power usage. This is off AC power, so I have the inefficiency of my monitor's power brick in there as well.

Things you need: 
Winbook TW802 Windows 8.1 Tablet -  $99.99 (It's $129.49 on Amazon right now if you can't get to a Microcenter) This is a full Windows tablet, that can also run standard desktop Linux, as it's a standard x86 PC in tablet form. As long as the relatively weak CPU and 2gb RAM is enough, it can run any standard program for a Windows desktop/laptop
Micro HDMI to HDMI cable - $6.49, to connect the tablet to a TV or computer monitor with a HDMI port
Any low power draw TV or computer monitor with HDMI. - Approx $140, depending on what you buy. Get one that can run directly off 12 volt power. The one I am using pulls around 11 watt on AC power. The monitor is the majority of the power draw, so pick one that uses very little power.
A USB keyboard with built in USB hub and USB mouse, OR a wireless keyboard and mouse, just make sure you can attach both the mouse and keyboard at the same time using just 1 USB port.

The tablet uses a standard micro USB cable for power, so any android phone/tablet car charger capable of at least 1.5 amps should be able to power it.

Good Info, thanks!.

My older Dell latitude E5500 energy consumption with a fully charged laptop battery ranges from 23 watts to 36 watts when just net browsing. The actual draw changes so quickly on my Watt meter, powering a DC to DC 'car adapter' I am not really sure of the exact average usage when just browsing the net. I could figure it out if I paid more attention I guess.

I have an LED light on the 10awg circuit which also feeds the DC to DC car adapter and the LED flickers with the voltage as it appears the amp draw of the laptop varies so quickly, much faster than my wattmeter can keep up with, and faster than my brain can see the wattmeters refresh rate, but within my brain's ability to detect light flickering

My PSW inverter turned on powering nothing is about 3 to 3.5 watts, wasted. The DC to DC car adapter saves at least this much, in my usage, as it is rare I use my Inverter at all, but i also did tests powering both original power brick on PSW inverter and DC to DC car adapter, and net browsing the electrical savings was closing in on 40%, but watching a DVD on the laptop when charging a depleted laptop battery the savings was down in the 10% on a dc to dc car adapter compared to the original power brick powered by a PSW inverter.

My MSW inverter uses nearly 0.8 amps turned on powering nothing. That is usually more than my fridge consumes over 60 minutes.

My laptop is easily my biggest consumer of battery power, so using less electricity in this department is, in the long run, $$ saved.

Just getting a new laptop would likely have a huge impact on power consumption over something older like a Dell E5500. My dad has one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQE8F1I and it uses less power than the tablet+monitor combination. A SSD in place of the hard drive would also drop the power consumption a little further and improve performance.

Yeah, Understood. I'd probably be using 120 watt maximum Sony Vaio from 2003 if my Old man did not upgrade and give me this 90 watt max Dell. Does What I need it to and I do have enough battery capacity and recharging capacity to not need to replace it.

Heck, my first smart phone is less than 2 years old. Appreciate your knowledge on this topic though.

Hoping I do not need to replace this old Dell anytime soon.

It took some doing, but I finally found an online article where my Toshiba Satellite laptop was tested extensively, and it looks like the max power use under load is 90 watts, though this varies with use of course.   It is considered a 'power hog' among it's class.  Just something I will keep in mind when finalizing my van power system.

Those Bay Trail Atoms (as found in the TW 802) are actually pretty 'powerful' chips. I picked up a couple of used/demo units for some buddies and tested them out, coming away rather impressed. I remember reading somewhere that they have processing power equivalent to some of the old, but not decrepit, Core2Duos.. but with MUCH better integrated graphics and outstandingly low power draw. ..Willy.

hmmm interesting, that probably beats out a compustick, as it can be used independent of a monitor if you wanted. Wish they could play games like tf2 lol

actually, looking online...it can run a surprising amt of games..including tf2.

i decided to drop a whole $150 on a chinese surface clone called the chuwhi (chewy?) vi10. It had some good reviews and even ran games decently on youtube. it uses the (slightly faster) bay trail 3736f and has 64 gig system storage, and i like that it dual boots android kitkat too (dem camping apps). I needed something efficient that can also run a printer and some real art programs easily. My main laptop's power supply is dying and is a bear to mess with.
Of course the risk is there of a dud, but at least it isnt a 500$ one...

Latest posts