$220 DIY Standalone Fuel Injection unit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UptownSport

Reaction score
Just FYI for people with unserviceable fuel setups, swaps, or wanting to tune for alternate fuel.
Not looking for opinions- These work perfectly well, and are absolutely reliable.

You can install a DIY fuel injection unit on your vehicle for about $220.*
Assembly is pretty simple, and installation is straightforward.
You can source injectors, wiring, sensors, connectors, throttle body at junkyard.
If you need a fuel pump (low pressure, 'pull' carb vehicle), you might have to spend some $.
Wideband O2 readers are also extra- You don't need this, however.
An ancient laptop with a serial port will tune it.

It will read popular crank sensors, if you just have a distributor- That's easy.

Learning to tune is intense, however. There's so many variables- You can  load a tune for gasoline, then switch to alcohol-
The system is expandable- Mostly racer stuff, but things like H20 injectionMW50 , or alcohol mix sensors could be useful.

The cost of unit is so small you could keep a spare, but, again, they're perfectly reliable.

*They still sell an older unit for $170 ( never used this, though)

Learning curve is steep...
If you have problems learning about solar setup, I wouldn't try Megasquirt.
I believe there are some "base map" or similar wording you can use for a specific car, but you'd still need to tune it.
I was looking into it 10 or so years ago, so you may want to do your own research.

Well, you certainly could try, but it will be a long while and probably not going to work if you already live in the vehicle.

Not for me, i already use it!

Yes, you input parameters and it generates a 'Close enough to run' table-
That's EZ. Basic firm/software setup, warmup, coast shut off, and all the other little choices take learning- not super science or voodoo, but just alot.

This is more cut n dried than solar- there's a straightforward answer- there's little opportunity for nit-noid solar arguments you see- I'm sure you know the ones!
The thing either runs well, or it doesn't.

You can tune while driving, so it's not really a matter you live in vehicle or not.

My thought was people with very old vehicles, repowers, or failed expensive/obscure/obsolete fuel injection systems

Would you mind doing a post on a setup you have? I haven't looked into megasquirt in a long while and I could use a read.

Well, there's plenty of reading!!

Just a note- I'm sure not advocating anyone change something on a controlled vehicle.

The MS unit runs a crank trigger ignition w/ in effect, dual coils.
We've assembled probably five units- A spare and some for friends.
Reason was to use E-85-

You get kits with everything in them
01Kit1650.jpg

You solder custom to your ignition
14OutPut420aModCoilAFront16.jpg
BottomP0981.jpg

The sensors are standard- Really old GM- although you can change settings to use proprietary.
I've had three different wide-band controllers- The O2 sensors, themselves are common- off an old VW.

Terminology gets confusing- Tacho output is what triggers ignition pulses - Not a tachometer on your dash- and, like solar, people forget you're not born knowing this! Kinda like I assumed an MC4 connector was co-ax. :D

The thing we have to do, which most won't- is change tune due to  E 85 changing composition multiple times a year.
If it weren't for that, I'd never think about it. I could install a sensor to automatically adjust this, but I'm not ambitious or smart enough!

Overall- For the $200 I paid back then, it's a wildly powerful, expandable and versatile unit.
I've just got it running a car, people far smarter than i have done all sorts of modifications.

New Zealanders seem to be the real modifiers, they come up with all sorts of applications and modifications.

Attachments

• 01Kit1650.jpg
    01Kit1650.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2
  • 14OutPut420aModCoilAFront16.jpg
    14OutPut420aModCoilAFront16.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2
  • BottomP0981.jpg
    BottomP0981.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 2