2021 is my year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brenda D

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Brenda and I have been following Bob for two years now.  I quit my job in March and bought a van in April, 2020.  It has needed a lot of mechanical work and most of that has been done.  The only remaining mechanical issue is the overdrive.  I have now gutted and rebuilt the inside.  The great thing about this van is that it came with an axillary system and my son got that up and running a few weeks ago.  So, i am hoping to be on the road by early 2021.  I would love to attend the 2021 RTR or the WRTR if the van is ready by then.

Welcome Brenda to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Brenda D said:
Hello everyone,
My name is Brenda and I have been following Bob for two years now.  I quit my job in March and bought a van in April, 2020.  It has needed a lot of mechanical work and most of that has been done.  The only remaining mechanical issue is the overdrive.  I have now gutted and rebuilt the inside.  The great thing about this van is that it came with an axillary system and my son got that up and running a few weeks ago.  So, i am hoping to be on the road by early 2021.  I would love to attend the 2021 RTR or the WRTR if the van is ready by then.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

Yes,  I agree the over drive is a great thing to have.   Mine gets me around 16 mpg.  It is switched on and off from the dash and the only issue I had with mine when I first got it was a bad switch.  Intermittent issue and they are always the worst.   Fortunately it wasn't expensive to fix and I had an honest mechanic friend who straightened it out inexpensively.  He told me people often hit those things way too hard when they are driving not realizing that they are more on the delicate side.  But he thought it was a bad place for Ford to have located it in the first place.    No problems since.  (newer models like mine are located in the end of the gear selector lever).

Hope your build goes well  for you.  Just consider it a work in progress as you will most likely want to revise it a few times as you gain experience and realize what works and what works better. 

All the best and I'm sure you'll do just fine.