2020 RTR location??https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/images/smilies/huh.gif

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Element gypsy. I’m not sure if I’m going this year but I’d be more than glad to shuttle you around to see the sites. I’m pretty crippled up too but have a little side by side putt putt and give people rides all the time. If I see someone limping I always stop. I understand how hard it is.

It’s nice to be able to get around and see everything while you are there.

Leaving in mid November...coming out to volunteer...be useful somewhere. Think I'll bring a mattock, just because.

Don't really care where it is, when you're coming from the Niagara Frontier, what's a few more miles? When y'all settle on a spot, I assume it'll be on here, and Charmaine'll let me know.

Just about done with the Aliner, solar is in, getting 2x30# propane, Jeep's 'ready. Off grid only.

Don't expect much in the way of shorts weather, but there might be some by April. Looking forward to meeting everybody and helping out.

Larry, make sure to bring good winter clothes, including gloves. You won't need them much, but the SoCal and AZ deserts can get below freezing at night. And good sleeping bag.

Qxxx said:
Larry, make sure to bring good winter clothes, including gloves. You won't need them much, but the SoCal and AZ deserts can get below freezing at night. And good sleeping bag.
Thanks...wasn't sure just what to bring.

It can get in the mid 80's during the day. Bring for hot and cold (and in between). The desert goes both ways.

Larry, once you get to the middle of Colorado or New Mexico you'll realize there are mountains all around in every direction for the next 1200 miles till you get to the Pacific Ocean. The Mohave and Sonaran deserts are just some barren low spots in between the mountain ranges. If you take I-40, you get as high as 7000' in Flagstaff, whereas down around Phoenix and Yuma you're at 1000' elevation or lower. On and on.

So you just need be prepared for everything, and also watch the weather channels to track the storms. In general you'll not see anything as bad as lake effect snow in Buffalo, unless you go over the Rockies in Colorado or the Sierra in California, once you get out of the northeast.

November should not be too bad, and by mid-March it'll be quite warm at lower elevations.

Elbear1 said:
Seems like the problems started when it was trademarked. Now its monetized when it was just supposed to be free camping, some speeches, and a potluck.

Maybe just hold it at the slabs.

RIP RTR.   Killed by your own success.

First the RTR then van dwelling in general.   Ain't the internet grand?

Elbear the rtr is free. Where did u get monetized from?

My informal plan is to head down, but early in November, to the RTR (wherever it is, default: Quartzite), volunteer, and see what needs doing and when.

After all that is over, connect with a caravan or two and see what that kind of group suits me. I doubt that dispersed caravans would substitute for a more centralized RTR, but what do I know? Whatever happens, I'll be there.

Larry
Aliner, Jeep, and me.

Larry, when you get to Quartzsite, you can stay in one of the LTVAs like La Posa South, but there are about a dozen areas nearby where you can boondock for free. My favorite is Roadrunner, about 6 miles south of town but they're all over. As a new traveler, you might enjoy dropping in on one of the caravans. Get to know people. They're informal and you can come and go as you please.

highdesertranger said:
where did this rumor about the RTR being held at Anza Borrego get started.  I will tell y'all right now this plain ain't true.  highdesertranger
Sueann mentioned they were in talks regarding lands near Anza Borrego park. That would likely still be inside the Anza Borrego desert.

Bob announced in yesterday's live video that RTR will be in Quartzsite, 1/18-27/20. He hasn't given the exact location but said he will in a couple of days. I crossed paths with him this morning and he said they just need to get the paperwork finalized and signed. Then he'll give the details.

La Paz county fairgrounds in Parker, AZ, no camping at site, but lots of options close by.  :)

carestock said:
La Paz county fairgrounds in Parker, AZ, no camping at site, but lots of options close by.  :)

The off road race will heavily impact the "close by" sites.