2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500, 118 inch wheel bass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z bird

Reaction score
Hey ya'all

I am looking for advice on the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter vans. I have one I am eyeing out and test driving tomorrow, it looks to be in great shape. In fact it is flawless aesthetically... owner says mechanically sound as well with brand new tires.

They are asking $13,500 for it, and it has 260,XXX miles on it.

What do ya'all think? This will be my first sprinter van so I don't know a ton about them. From what I have read they run forever if you take good care of them. But my mind still hesitates "13.5k for a vehicle with how many miles on it?!?!" 260k just seems like a lot of miles for any engine.

Curious to hear opinions about longevity, and if this is a good deal or not- the van is near perfect condition and with no modifications, it's ready to be built out.

Thanks for the help  :cool:

- Z

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    1.3 MB
I'm with you, I dont know much about Sprinters but that thing looks sharp!

If you buy it I would keep an 'emergency fund' in case of unexpected repairs...

Just FYI: For that kind of money you could buy a decent used RV...

CautionToTheWind said:
Nice! For $3-7K more, you could get newer and 1/2 the mileage. Call an insurance company. I'd pay 7-8k.
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listings/dodge/sprinter/

Thats good advice, I will call an insurance company!

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get this guy to shave off the top if a fair price is closer to 8k but he is asking 13.5k!

It looks like such good shape it's just hard to believe it can be worth that much with 260k miles on it

Yeah I just got this appraisal.... 9-10k from a dealer is the max according to this website, and more like 7k from a private party.

But damn! The van is in great shape, I am still going to test drive it tomorrow just to check it out I suppose.

Maybe if I drop a line on my research the guy will lower the price?

Curious to hear anyone else on longevity of these vehicles. I have been reading that the whole 'last forever' thing is a myth because usually a sprinter with 500,000 miles on it is a sprinter that had an engine swap at 300,000....

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 9.16.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 9.16.21 PM.png
    548.3 KB
z bird said:
Thats good advice, I will call an insurance company!

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get this guy to shave off the top if a fair price is closer to 8k but he is asking 13.5k!

It looks like such good shape it's just hard to believe it can be worth that much with 260k miles on it

UPDATE: 

Called the insurance company and they weren't able to give me much info,.... just told me how much it would cost to cover it.

Well I test drove the van and the guy is right, seems to be in near perfect condition.

Unfortunately he wasn't looking to budge on the price at all- leaving me with a $13,500 decision to make

Also found out there is actually 270,XXX miles on it- not sure what to think! If it runs forever, seems like a good purchase?

I'm stumped.

Nothing mechanical runs forever. Just because he wants $13,500 doesn't mean it's worth that. Logically think about it after looking at the suggested values from kbb.com and other auto sites.

2.7 diesel, correct? The 2005 diesel is in a sweet spot because 2008 and after, the regulations and complications from that caused owner headaches/issues. How long has he owned the vehicle? *How* those miles were obtained -- hard miles or highway; big difference. I come from a farming family, so it's not unheard of to get 375k on a gas engine let alone a diesel.

I did find this statement/feedback = Parts are hard to find

You have to ask yourself if losing $5,000+ off the top if insurance gets involve = totaled; giving you actual cash value (ACV). Insurance can give you that information up front before you purchase.

He may trust that it will run forever however he will be stepping out of ownership for that story's end. Does he have history & records? A person can send an oil sample out for testing; provided the oil has some mileage. http://www.blackstone-labs.com

The core of the engine is good for 500,000 miles, every other mechanical device will wear out just like any other vehicle, and in my opinion much sooner than any American made van.

But you can get cheap parts for any American made van and any parts for the Sprinter will cost 2-5 times more.

Everywhere in North America, you can find someone who can stop and fix a Ford, Chevy or Dodge van.

Rarely in America can you find anyone who will work on a Sprinter, much less Mexico or Canada. There aren't many dealers and not all dealers will service the Sprinter. Very few shade-tree mechanics work on them.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akrvbob said:
The core of the engine is good for 500,000 miles, every other mechanical device will wear out just like any other vehicle, and in my opinion much sooner than any American made van.

But you can get cheap parts for any American made van and any parts for the Sprinter will cost 2-5 times more.

Everywhere in North America, you can find someone who can stop and fix a Ford, Chevy or Dodge van.

Rarely in America can you find anyone who will work on a Sprinter, much less Mexico or Canada. There aren't many dealers and not all dealers will service the Sprinter. Very few shade-tree mechanics work on them.

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well shoot, all of ya'all are making solid sense...suppose I am just a little start struck by the beauty of it all. This van looks amazing! Driving it felt great, didn't seem to me like a vehicle with 270k on it at all.

And honestly, it's the 118 inch wheel base that I am loving. I have been looking into the Ford Transit Connects too but I run into a lot of questions about reliability with those, also might be a little too tight on space for what I am looking to do.

On the other hand, most vans I have checked out feel too big! I am really looking for good gas mileage where possible, and this Sprinter fits all the specs I have been seeking. Roomy but small enough to parallel park it, and 20-24mpg.

I do believe this is a good van, maybe just not enough assurance that it is going to stay that way :s

Ram ProMaster 136” High Roof would fit your criteria although price perhaps too much?

z bird said:
Well shoot, all of ya'all are making solid sense...suppose I am just a little start struck by the beauty of it all. This van looks amazing! Driving it felt great, didn't seem to me like a vehicle with 270k on it at all.

And honestly, it's the 118 inch wheel base that I am loving. I have been looking into the Ford Transit Connects too but I run into a lot of questions about reliability with those, also might be a little too tight on space for what I am looking to do.

On the other hand, most vans I have checked out feel too big! I am really looking for good gas mileage where possible, and this Sprinter fits all the specs I have been seeking. Roomy but small enough to parallel park it, and 20-24mpg.

I do believe this is a good van, maybe just not enough assurance that it is going to stay that way :s

If you want good gas mileage get a small car. You're just not going to get good gas mileage in a van. Accept that......it's a truck. A minivan would be your best bet for "decent" gas mileage.

When I was looking at vans two years ago I was very interested in the sprinter. It looked like it had everything I wanted in a van. Until I spent some time on the sprinter forum. In the end it just looked like it could be a maintenence nightmare. You are right that the most reliable sprinters are around pre 2006 so at least the one you are looking at should be more reliable. But the price is just way to high. Bob hit the nail on the head when he said that there are not a lot of people who will work on the sprinter. There are quite a few Mercedes dealerships that don't even have a qualified mechanic to work on them. I wanted a newer van and ended up purchasing the Ford Transit. I was able to get a gas engine and avoid all the emissions problems with the diesels. Plus I know that I can go to just about any mechanic in the country (ford dealerships included) and there will be someone to work on it. I think with the Transit now being out a few years there are some higher mileage ones showing up as expediters are already replacing them with new vans. It would be worth a look. Also tons of older style Ford, Chevy's and GMC's out there to choose from that would be reasonable priced and a heck of a lot cheaper to fix and maintain. I would keep looking but if you are set on the Sprinter spend a little time lurking on the sprinter forum just to get a little better informed about what it takes to maintain the sprinter.

Dgorila1 said:
If you want good gas mileage get a small car. You're just not going to get good gas mileage in a van. Accept that......it's a truck. A minivan would be your best bet for "decent" gas mileage.

"Good" gas mileage for a van is more-so what I am talking about. If I can find a rig that is averaging 20mpg I am going to be a happy camper :)

deadwood said:
When I was looking at vans two years ago I was very interested in the sprinter. It looked like it had everything I wanted in a van. Until I spent some time on the sprinter forum. In the end it just looked like it could be a maintenence nightmare. You are right that the most reliable sprinters are around pre 2006 so at least the one you are looking at should be more reliable. But the price is just way to high. Bob hit the nail on the head when he said that there are not a lot of people who will work on the sprinter. There are quite a few Mercedes dealerships that don't even have a qualified mechanic to work on them. I wanted a newer van and ended up purchasing the Ford Transit. I was able to get a gas engine and avoid all the emissions problems with the diesels. Plus I know that I can go to just about any mechanic in the country (ford dealerships included) and there will be someone to work on it. I think with the Transit now being out a few years there are some higher mileage ones showing up as expediters are already replacing them with new vans. It would be worth a look. Also tons of older style Ford, Chevy's and GMC's out there to choose from that would be reasonable priced and a heck of a lot cheaper to fix and maintain. I would keep looking but if you are set on the Sprinter spend a little time lurking on the sprinter forum just to get a little better informed about what it takes to maintain the sprinter.

I'm not set on the Sprinter necessarily I just really love that 118 inch wheel base. I am ultimately realizing I probably need a bigger van than the transit connects, but there doesn't seem to be a lot in between until I saw the 118 WB model of the Sprinter.

Thanks for the suggestion with the Ford Transit- I would definitely be interested but my budget is ~12k and I haven't seen any of those vans used for less than 20k. Might just have to hold out waiting for some of these newer vans to get cheaper while I save more money.

But eager to swap over to van life!

Have you thought about shuttles?  (At in city transit vehicles, almost like a bus, but not as massive ) 

You can get almost any length used for cheap.

Latest posts