2004 vs 2012 Chevy Express 3500 Extended

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Have 2 hot leads for a purchase: both have said they are ready to negotiate.

#1            $11,500
2004 15 passenger 3500 Extended with 126,682.  Single owner, private sale... Unfortunately located almost 5 hours from me:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5733041635.html
2004 chevy express
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 126682
paint color: white
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic 4L80e 6 speed
type: van
"I have a very well taken care of 04 Express 3500 15 Passenger Van with the 6.0L motor. ***Asking $11,500 OBO, but definitely open to SERIOUS OFFERS***... Has only 126,xxx miles on it which is still low for that motor which has a ton of power... (I have a yukon with the same engine and it has 228,xxx and it runs beautifully). This vehicle has been a great rig for us as we've been doing foster care for a number of years, but we do not need it any more. Interior is in really good condition... the seats and flooring is all vinyl, so if your kid spills something, there is no staining to worry about and cleanup is a cinch (which is why we bought this one)... There are 2 arm rests missing on the rear benches(pictured) and very minor dings or scratches on the exterior. Really a great vehicle, and comfortable ride... we've taken it all over California, Bay area to San Diego...Great for travelling because of all the space... and the rear bench pulls out very easily if you only need 11 seats or less and want the extra space in the rear. AC blows nice and cold and it just plain runs great."

#2      $18,000 (just a starting point, they say.. huge sale coming!!)
2012 12 passenger Fleet vehicle sale:  20 minute drive from me...
http://fidelitypdx.com/inventory/2012/Chevrolet/Express Passenger/OR/Tigard/1GAZG1FG4C1189384/
2012 Chevrolet Express Passenger EXPRESS PASSENGER Van
132,268 miles...

I know its ultimately about condition, inspection, and gut feeling... but the more attractively priced is very far away.

What price diffenertion would one expect between an 04 vs 12 with such similar mileage??

And... I almost feel guilty at taking a '12 passenger van and gutting it to its bones.  But cargo vans are SO rare here- at least the last 9 months.

any thoughts?

thx, jj

JJPDX said:

#1            $11,500
2004 15 passenger 3500 Extended with 126,682.  Single owner, private sale... Unfortunately located almost 5 hours from me:
2004 chevy express
"I have a very well taken care of 04 Express 3500 15 Passenger Van with the 6.0L motor. ***Asking $11,500 OBO, but definitely open to SERIOUS OFFERS***... Has only 126,xxx miles on it which is still low for that motor which has a ton of power... (I have a yukon with the same engine and it has 228,xxx and it runs beautifully). This vehicle has been a great rig for us as we've been doing foster care for a number of years, but we do not need it any more. Interior is in really good condition... the seats and flooring is all vinyl, so if your kid spills something, there is no staining to worry about and cleanup is a cinch (which is why we bought this one)... There are 2 arm rests missing on the rear benches(pictured) and very minor dings or scratches on the exterior. Really a great vehicle, and comfortable ride... we've taken it all over California, Bay area to San Diego...Great for travelling because of all the space... and the rear bench pulls out very easily if you only need 11 seats or less and want the extra space in the rear. AC blows nice and cold and it just plain runs great."

http://fidelitypdx.com/inventory/2012/Chevrolet/Express Passenger/OR/Tigard/1GAZG1FG4C1189384/
132,268 miles...

I know its ultimately about condition, inspection, and gut feeling... but the more attractively priced is very far away.

What price diffenertion would one expect between an 04 vs 12 with such similar mileage??

And... I almost feel guilty at taking a '12 passenger van and gutting it to its bones.  But cargo vans are SO rare here- at least the last 9 months.

any thoughts?

thx, jj

Wow prices are high in your area. I bought a 2004 chevy express 3500 cargo van with 150k miles, one owner, no accidents and religiously maintained. Paid $3600 cash (CL). Earlier last year (2015), I was going to buy a 2012 chevy express 3500 with only 20,000 miles fro $12k cash, which also a pretty sick deal as well. 
However, the vans you listed are passenger vans so I guess that's the bump in price, still seems high though.

Dennis said:
I have read the 6.0L is a good engine but not very easy on gas mileage.   Out of your area but this might be what you are looking for.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...teo&showListingId=148213734#listing=148213734

I averaged 17 mpg on my last trip across the country in my 2004 chevy express 3500 converted camper van. It's better to get the 6.0 V8 and be light on the gas pedal to save fuel BUT have POWER on tap for steep mountain climbs rather than a smaller engine straining which you will still end up with bad MPG  or the same anyways. 
I learned that lesson to buy the bigger motor a long time ago. One time I bought  Nissan 4 cylinder 2 wd pickup truck while living in the mountains thinking I was going to be saving on gas, however, constantly slamming on the gas pedal going up steep grades I only got 12 mpg in that slow truck. I traded it in for a pathfinder with 6 cyclinder 4wd  and got 15 mpg just driving normal with much more power. 

Bottom line, if you want to save fuel then go light on the gas pedal and keep your tires inflated properly. However, the bigger engine, in a van you will definitely need it. The 3500 is the only way to go imo, it has the upgraded suspension as well.

NoLimit.... That is excellent mileage for your van! Quite a bit better than what I have read on some Chevy forums. I had been considering this one but what most were saying about their mileage with 6.0L combined with the high top made me have second thoughts. My 1995 Ford E-250 with 5.8 usually averaged 14.5 mpg. I owned a couple of vehicles back in the 70's that had 454 engines. 8-9 mpg no matter how I drove them. One was a big Impala.
I do hear what you are saying about steep grades. Need the power.

JJPDX said:

#1            $11,500
2004 chevy express

132,268 miles...

any thoughts?

thx, jj
The 2004 will not have the listed 6 speed trans.  You have to get a 2010 or newer Express/Savana to get the 6 speed trans.  I have a 2012 G3500 GMC Savana extended cargo from Penske with the 4.8L & 6 speed trans with manual mode shifting when needed.  The 4.8L engine has plenty of power, it just loves to rev and will climb hills with a load just fine as long as a skilled driver takes advantage of the 6 speed trans and keeps the revs up a bit.  Lots of folks erroneously think that when an engine is turning more than highway cruising speed RPM's it is straining, this is not the case.  

The 4.8 is every bit as durable as the 6.0 and less thirsty. On the expediters forums the consensus seems to be that in the current GM vans the 6.0 will get about 3mpg less overall vs the 4.8.

Having lived in an Express 2500 for three years, I would pass on both. First, unless you're going to be loaded down with lots of stuff, you don't need a 1-ton (3500) van. The suspension on my 3/4-ton van is way stiffer than I need, which makes unpaved roads feel rougher. Second, having driven all around the mountains of the west, including up many steep passes, the 4.8L Chevy/GMC engine is enough. If I was towing, I might go for the 6.0L engine. Passenger vans weigh more because of all the glass. The interior panels take up room. The ceiling is lower to allow for the air vents. The side windows do give you a better view of traffic, but they let in heat and need to be covered for privacy. On the plus side, passenger vans are less likely to be beat to crap. On the minus side, they're more likely to be infested with Cheerios and dog hair and smell like kid vomit and dirty diapers. ;)

JJPDX said:

any thoughts?

thx, jj

Well, took me awhile to figure out GP is Grants Pass..Ouch, yeah 5 hours? I'd consider Greyhound for the ride...Simply due to gas costs..

but more over I see MANY vans up here going for less...

Like this one...I like the price...

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ctd/5739543734.html

and it's the 155" one... rare for a 2500 (VIN checks out for length)....

My Roadtrek is based on a 6 litre 2004 Chev Express 3500. If I am not in the mountains, I get 17.5 MPG. Roadtrek does streamline the bodies.