$1k in front end work, bought the van last month.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
So the van is a '99, and I expected to spend money on suspension at some point. But I also expected the van to pass inspection when I bought it, which is why I told the dealer to get a current inspection before I'd buy it. The dealer didn't do in house inspections (why not?) but got a sticker put on it somehow.

I bought it in NH. I'm a VT resident, so I needed a VT inspection with my registration.

I took it to a garage this morning and they wouldn't put a sticker anywhere near it. They gave me a ~$1k estimate for front end work. Ball joints, drag link, alignment, etc. They said no one should have inspected it and they were even suspicious of the NH sticker itself, which reads simply "dealer lot vehicle" or such. I expected the dealer not to give a shit, but I called anyway to get his reaction. He didn't give a shit.

NH DMV's site says "Licensed retail dealers are required to sell vehicles that meet minimum state inspection criteria." I quoted that to the dealer and he said it was wrong. Yet he claimed he had no trouble getting it inspected. He would not give me the name of the business that inspected the van.

All in all - I'm not really upset. I expected to put money into the van, and especially the suspension, sooner or later. I just had hoped for later, and that the inspection was actually legit before I bought the van! I'm going to try to get a VT sticker on it so it's legal and then I'll have a little more time to get the mechanical work done. I may be able to do it myself if I find a place and the time.

If anyone is curious the business is Mastriano Motors on Salem NH.

I feel for ya, T. There really is, though, a great deal of peace in driving a van with a tight front end. When I was looking, I decided that I would set aside the funds for immediate and total front end repair. I sleep better at night :)

It doesn't cost anything to file a small claims suit against the dealer. While I am usually the last one to recommend it, in this case a suit is called for. You will have to travel back to NH to file it, and will have to pay for the dealer to get served. Even if you decide not to show up on the day in court, the dealer will be sweating. He may call a week or two before the court date, and offer to pay for the parts. If not, well, maybe he'll think twice next time.

Bama

Have you talked to any Government Consumer Protection people in NH? Most states have strict motor vehicle dealer laws.

Basicly, it sounds like he paid an inspection station to slap a sticker on it.  I would report the matter to the New Hampshire Motor Vehicle people IMMEDIATELY and, if you can afford to wait a few days, hold off on fixing it in case the New Hampshire authorities want to inspect it.  If not, be sure to get the VT inspection people to document it's condition, and DEFINITELY get lots and lots of digital pictures.

I'm pretty sure it's a crime for an inspection station to put a sticker on a vehicle without inspecting it, and also a crime for the dealer to pay him to do it.  At a minimum, both the inspection station and dealer would lose their licenses, and probably get hit with hefty fines.  At least, that's what would happen in NY.

Alas, there would probably be no jail time.

Regards
John

Whose motto is: DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN!

I don't mean this to be an attack, but a source of warning for others. If you had a paid a mechanic $75 to inspect it he would have warned you it wouldn't pass inspection.

Before I bought my F150 I took three other trucks in to a mechanic and he said they were all money pits although they ran great. I took in my F150 and he said if I didn't buy he would. I put 70,000 trouble free miles on that truck and thought the $225 I spent on inspections was the best money I ever spent.
Bob

I've lived in New Hampshire most of my life, have never heard of a Dealer Inspection Sticker.  Certainly wasn't a licensed New Hampshire Inspection station.  If it was they would lose their license.   Just the same, the Dealer isn't allowed to put an un-inspectable vehicle on the road.

I would certainly file a report to Motor Vehicle in New Hampshire.

Optimistic Paranoi said:
Alas, there would probably be no jail time.

Amusingly, the mechanic who tried to inspect it quite emphatically said that someone would go to jail over putting an inspection sticker on that vehicle in the state of Vermont. I couldn't tell if he was just trying to get me worked up (I imagine he's accustomed to customers with repair bills needing someone to blame, and probably doesn't want it to be him) or if he really believed that. But he said there was no way it should pass and that he thought the sticker was bogus.

akrvbob said:
I don't mean this to be an attack, but a source of warning for others. If you had a paid a mechanic $75 to inspect it he would have warned you it wouldn't pass inspection.

This is the best advice, and really I should admit that it's also not a foreign concept to me. When I checked the vehicle out, I spent a couple hours combing it over, crawling underneath, under the hood, and inspecting things myself. The frame was still painted. No rust. U-joints were good. Engine sounded good. I looked at it enough to know that there was nothing that would spoil the vehicle long-term, and decided that was enough for me to be persuaded to buy it. I did not jack up the front end to feel the ball joints. If I had, I still would have bought it, but I would have haggled for some compensation in the price.

Caveat emptor is still the status quo for used car sales, and I know that, and I did expect to spend money on maintenance. I just didn't expect to spend 1/10th the vehicle's value to get it inspected when it was presented as inspected.

greybeard23 said:
Just the same, the Dealer isn't allowed to put an un-inspectable vehicle on the road.

This is also what I thought, and so I was amused when the dealer articulated that he may do precisely that!

Inspection/Insmechtion

They don't do it here in AZ, Just tailpipe emissions.

I lived in Maine for a couple of years, Had a 90 lebaron convertible. Probably shouldn't have passed. Front end was wonky. Took all of 2 minutes of "inspection" and passed. moved back to AZ a while later, drove it for a few more years without any problems.

I think the NE states go a bit overboard on this, but it is probably due to all that fender solvent the sprinkles on the roads.

ZoNiE said:
I think the NE states go a bit overboard on this, but it is probably due to all that fender solvent the sprinkles on the roads.

You've got it! Cars up here rot out quickly. It's rare to have a native 10 year-old vehicle that isn't full of holes. Plenty of people patch stuff together to keep it on the road. I wish they'd stop spreading salt.

I had a friend in college who moved here from Texas. When she first got here, she asked "Why's everyone's car so rusty?"
After the winter, she asked "Why's my car so rusty?"

I would be suspicious of the VT inspection as well. I mean 1,000 bucks for ball joints and drag link, really. is the same shop that's doing the inspection doing the work? seems a little shady to me. did you notice anything with the handling? maybe get a second opinion. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would be suspicious of the VT inspection as well.  I mean 1,000 bucks for ball joints and drag link,  really.  is the same shop that's doing the inspection doing the work?  seems a little shady to me.  did you notice anything with the handling?  maybe get a second opinion.  highdesertranger

Yeah $1000 seems to be the latest "magic number" that a lot of auto repair shops tend to land on. You know the one where if you go in for X dollars of legitimate repairs they'll probably be straight with you, but if it's below that somehow an inspection will reveal enough problems to get it up there. I remember the good old days not so long ago when it was only $350-400 :(

I bought my 1 ton Roadtrek knowing I would have to have front end work done and new tires (worn tires and loose steering).  I wasn't quite prepared for the 2k it cost to replace it all (tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, A arm bushings, idler arm, link arm, and adjust steering box).  I was thinking of a few years back (ok, maybe more than a few) when I had all this work done on my trusty '77 Dodge van (1k).  I was told the parts are more expensive than a 1/2 or 3/4 (my Dodge was 3/4) ton now too.  I trust this shop and have done business with them for at least 15 years.  The Beast (got its name from the first driving experience) sure drives a LOT better!  Money well spent.  When I was younger, I used to do all my own mechanical work.  Only did a complete front end once and swore to never again.  Now that I am older, I find I do not like mechanical work so much anymore (not as limber and the ground keeps getting further and further away) and now pay $$ for the stuff I won't or can't do.......

highdesertranger said:
getting down to ground is not bad for me, it's getting back up.  highdesertranger

Exactly.  In my younger days, I thought nothing of spending a whole weekend in a barn swapping engines.  These days, I'm happy to pay someone else to change my oil for me.

Regards
John

I still do my own work, It just takes me a lot longer.   :s