1992 Dodge B350 Extended Hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to see your finale layout come to life!
Thanks for sharing!

Fluffhead said:
I'm going to post my costs of this conversion both for myself and for those who are curious about what kind of $$$ they should plan on spending if following a path similar to mine. Keep in mind that I get all my parts at a discount through my employment and I do all the work myself.

Van $2500
Tax, tag, title $212

Radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat, gasket, coolant, cap $255
Windshield washer pump $38
Headlight x2 $33
Windshield urethane x2, silicone x2, sikaflex x5 $46
Firestone Transforce A/T tire x2 $326
Transmission seal kit, filter, trans fluid $171
Misc (cutting wheels, sand paper, etc) $50

Total as of today...$3631

I've already purchased many of the interior supplies/items. I'll add their cost as I install them.

Did you purchase the van from a private owner, dealer, or the govt? That was a great price!

Did you do the tint yourself or have it done? If you did it yourself, what product did you use?

The van is gorgeous! That was my dream van, but I'm very happy with my '93 Club Wagon...

Fluffhead said:
A little about the van...

Owned for 24 years by the VA. She has 60,250 miles. 

5.9L 360, one ton chassis, AC, upgraded 120AMP alternator and larger 35gal fuel tank. 8500lb max registered weight.

Viking hightop and side door mounted Braun wheelchair lift. Here's a few pics from when I bought her...

I would have bought that too! you can build a beauty out of that! Make sure you beef up that clearance if you put tanks under it.

AbuelaLoca said:
Did you do the tint yourself or have it done? If you did it yourself, what product did you use?

The van is gorgeous! That was my dream van, but I'm very happy with my '93 Club Wagon...

The tint is Johnson film 5%. I called on a friend with skills for the tint. That cost me a case of beer and a bunch of hours feeding him soapy water.

AbuelaLoca said:

Tomorrow I will get the contact info for someone local.  bLEEp has a friend that knows how to do that.   :D

I've been planning to sleep in a hammock in my rig. Tonight I finally decided to attach the mounting points. My van has a high steel door frame which once functioned as the upper attachment point for the wheelchair lift. It also has three steel arches welded in. These made for perfect mounting points because of their strength and ideal spacing for a comfortable hang. I used stainless hooks rated at 350lbs each. The rear hook will eventually poke out from wood paneling. I plan to leave a carabiner on the front one to use as a hand hold when getting in. It will also remind me to not knock it with my mellon.
IMG_5281.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5291.JPG
    IMG_5291.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5296.JPG
    IMG_5296.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Great find, great project for a dad and a 16 yr old, and lots of room for all you need. :)
Did you scrap or sell or give away the W/C lift? I've seen a few like yours on CL with lifts, dont know if there's any value in working ones. Usually side exit Braun lifts though sometimes they are in the back...

This world isn said:
Great find, great project for a dad and a 16 yr old, and lots of room for all you need.  :)
Did you scrap or sell or give away the W/C lift?  I've seen a few like yours on CL with lifts, dont know if there's any value in working ones. Usually side exit Braun lifts though sometimes they are in the back...

The lift is sitting in my junkyard at work. When I saw four or five newer ones on craigslist for $200-$300, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to sell it. Perhaps I could have given it away for parts. It was functional. It was also 25 years old and massive. I had to lift it out the rear of the van with a forklift when I removed it.

I purchased a fan-tastic fan and cover yesterday. I definitely want to install that fan before finishing the interior of the high-top.

The purchase of the fan puts me right at $4000 invested in my future home. As of now...she is just about perfect mechanically and the interior is gutted and awaiting finishing.

I've got 6 weeks until I head out for a 4 day mountain bike festival. I better get working if I don't want to sleep in an empty shell of a van...