15 liter, 12v compressor fridge for $210

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
[font=AtlasGrotesk-editor-rtl, AtlasGrotesk-editor-heading, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Wow! The 12v chest fridges have really come down in price for a starter unit! [/font]

[font=AtlasGrotesk-editor-rtl, AtlasGrotesk-editor, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WYS3TR[/font]

[font=AtlasGrotesk-editor-rtl, AtlasGrotesk-editor, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]When I saw the price I thought “this can’t be compressor based, it thermoelectric made to look like a 12v mini chest fridge” I read the description and yes, it’s compressor based. [/font]

[font=AtlasGrotesk-editor-rtl, AtlasGrotesk-editor, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Just a year ago, you were looking at $350 for the cheapest retail 12v compressor-based chest fridge. Now you have no excuse, you can keep cold food and drinks in your rig for $210 and change. Sure it might break in a year or two, so if you’re concerned about quality or purchase maximization think of it like buying 1 or 2 years of time to save your nickel and dimes or conduct deep, intensive research for your perfect fridge, which has to be super durable and have THE Danfross linear compressor, as it is THE most efficient compressor design. [/font]

lets see if the company lasts longer than the warranty.

it is tiny, but if small is what you need it might be good, but only if it lasts.

time will tell

It is a compressor fridge. The built in thermostat is not the most reliable for reading the temperture so you need to put a thermometer inside the fridge for calibrating how cold it actually is. The reviews have been generally positive but some bad units have been delivered. If Amazon offers and extended warranty you should probably consider purchasing it.

I myself got lucky and found a gently used Norcold model that is actually made by Engel. So that saved me $600.00 over the cost of a new Engel.
There is a list on the Engel site that cross references which of the Norcolds were made by Engel.
Here is the link to that reference list. https://www.engelcoolers.com/norcold

If you are on craigslist looking for a gently used 12v portable compressor unit be sure you do a search under the overall for sale heading because they show up in several sections, sporting goods, boat parts, RV, appliances and even garage sales. The one I bought was in the boat parts section. The other places to search for them are on the Facebook sales for your local area and on Offerup. Be patient, it took me the better part of a year to find one. But spring time is prime time for finding one.

StarliteRambler said:
I think Slim Potatohead has a video on those.

Yes I think he has the alpicool c20 20 quart model. I'm planning to get one and then later add a second one for redundancy if one fails but mainly to use one as a deep freezer and the other as a fridge.