120v Outlet in the Suburbs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVtrek

Reaction score
I've been suburban boondocking the past couple days and having a great time.  Unfortunately, the sun hasn't been around much, and my batteries are starting to run low.  Any suggestions on places where I can go and plug in my camper for a couple hours and run the battery charger?

My friends live in apartments, so that's not really an option.  I could go to a campground and pay for camping for a night, but they're father outside of the city than I'd like and I really don't like RV campgrounds all that much.

Any creative thoughts on where I can find an outlet I can tap for a while?

check the base of lamposts in parks and parking lots.
sometimes you get lucky.  just be discreet

I have seen many outlets used for holiday lighting along curbs in cities. I have seen outlets located in parking lots. Not the charging stations. I have seen outlets along side of buildings. It could all be known as theft of services.

ask permission. I can't see this being legal without permission from the party that pays for the electricity. highdesertranger

Hate to be a downer, but try to keep the "creativity" leaning towards the "what's right" angle. So thinking that's what you mean by creativity, I am drawing a blank, but I will keep it in mind when I goto town today to pick up mail. Maybe there are public parks around that have pavilion's wires for electricity. If so, prepare and eat your lunch there for a few hours? Best of luck on this one and make sure to post any solutions you discover, as I imagine its great info for a few people.

A strip of storage units will often have outlets at the ends.

Some EV charging stations have 120V outlets.

Sounds like you need more solar panels and/or a generator.

:)

hugemoth said:
Buy an $89 generator from Harbor Freight.

How about a pair for under $200?

Use one for A/C, the other for everything else including charging.

Do a search of people getting theft charges for plugging in their electric cars. Try stopping at a service station, buy so gas and ask. They might let you for free or a few bucks. They might hook up a high amp charger and get it done quickly.

In the future you might consider a alternate means of charging. You can often find places in the city for water, trash, maybe even plug in if you ask. Out in the boonies there are no plugs and it gets cloudy or you might be in the shade. The little Sportsman 800/1000 inverter generator can be found at times for under $200 and is as quiet as a Honda 2000 when both are loaded up. I ran mine for five hours while completely shaded a few weeks ago. As a last resort I can use jumper cables to the truck if I have to, anything but let the bank get damaged.

Boyntonstu said:
How about a pair for under $200?

Use one for A/C, the other for everything else including charging.

I don't think the Harbor Freight $89 700 watt will start a 5000 btu little window unit and I don't think they can be paralleled connected.  They aren't inverter generators.

Trebor English said:
I don't think the Harbor Freight $89 700 watt will start a 5000 btu little window unit and I don't think they can be paralleled connected.  They aren't inverter generators.
Think it might!

[video=youtube]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-primary-text-color)]Harbor Freight Storm Cat 800 watt (900 watt peak) generator is capable of running a Haier 6000 BTU window air conditioner unit (model ESA406M). It is Energy Star rated, and consumes 5.5 amps according to the box specifications[/font][/color]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][video=youtube]
[/font]

The little HF 2 stroke gennys do have quite the following. The first thing I understand is to replace the plug, check for shavings and then a extended break in. The downside is wicked voltage spikes have been reported.

jimindenver said:
The little HF 2 stroke gennys do have quite the following. The first thing I understand is to replace the plug, check for shavings and then a extended break in. The downside is wicked voltage spikes have been reported.

"The downside is wicked voltage spikes have been reported."

How high are the spikes?

Links please.

After a quick search I found one source say 180v. The explanation was that the generator is slow to respond to load changes. The RPM slows when a load is put on causing the voltage to drop also. This causes the generator to call for more gas raising the RPM and voltage only to shoot too high and then come back down. The same thing happens when a big load is removed and the engine runs free for a moment before the governor compensates. At that moment the RPMs jump as does the voltage. Still a lot of people swear by them.

jimindenver said:

x2 on this and also read replace pull cord.

Quite the little thread I started here…

At the moment, I'm doing OK on power. I'm sitting at about 12.8 volts after removing the surface charge. This morning I was at about 12.5 or 12.6, so I figure I'm doing pretty good for the day.

Yes, I could add more solar, but then I'd also have to upgrade the solar controller, and I don't really want to put that kind of investment into this rig. I'll put that money into my next rig.

And yes, I could get a generator, but this is the only trip where I'd really need it. My next planned trip my traveling companion will be bringing her genny, so I can plug into that. The next rig I'm building will need a bigger generator than anything that's being discussed here, and I'd have no use for a small genny once I'm no longer using this truck camper.

For now, I'm just going to be conservative with my power usage as much as possible and monitor the batteries. If they start hitting 12.3 (or god forbid, less), then I'll make my way over to a dreaded RV park and plug in for a while.