120 gallon propane tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
lp tank.jpglp tank.jpgI found a 120 gallon propane tank for sale, it has 50% fuel in it now, I know this sucker is going to be heavy, but the question I have is how dang long would that last running a regular stove for cooking?

I got to think 100 gallon of lp would last a lot of meals cooked.

I am waiting for measurements so I can see if I can get it under my bus, it came off of a grain truck that was used as the engine fuel and they switched back to gas, comes with brackets also.

if it fits it will take some work to get it mounted up under there.

Attachments

• lp tank.jpg
    lp tank.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
My 15 gallon usable capacity RV tank lasts me a long time just for cooking and the fridge, I've had it last as little as 6 weeks when using the furnace as well.

c_hasbeen said:
I found a 120 gallon propane tank for sale, it has 50% fuel in it now, I know this sucker is going to be heavy, but the question I have is how dang long would that last running a regular stove for cooking?

I got to think 100 gallon of lp would last a lot of meals cooked.

I am waiting for measurements so I can see if I can get it under my bus, it came off of a grain truck that was used as the engine fuel and they switched back to gas, comes with brackets also.

if it fits it will take some work to get it mounted up under there.

You'll want to double check to make sure that the tank still has a useful life left. IIRC, propane tanks on vehicles had to be replaced after a decade. They may be switching that vehicle over to gas because of the cost of replacing and recertifying the system.

And if it fits it sure will take some work to get it mounted - I'm used to tanks being referred to by lbs - so I looked it up - it's commonly known as a 420 lb tank...yowzer!! 

You also don't have to fill it all the way up...

I thought the permanently mounted tanks like what this is and what rvs have, didn't have to be recertified. only the portable ones need the recertification. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I thought the permanently mounted tanks like what this is and what rvs have,  didn't have to be recertified.  only the portable ones need the recertification.  highdesertranger

From a website 'Everything about RVing' in response to a question about tanks needing recertification.

Yes the propane tanks installed on RVs in the US do require recertification. According to Federal Law DOT Propane Tanks (the type used on RVs) must be recertified after being used for 12 years after the date the tank was manufactured. All DOT tanks are stamped with the date they were manufactured.

the ad says off of a 1972 grain truck, I am betting it has never been re certified

although it may have been an add on after 72
thanks for the input

c_hasbeen said:
the ad says off of a 1972 grain truck, I am betting it has never been re certified

although it may have been an add on after 72
thanks for the input

You might be right - if it was filled before it ran out of certification then the vehicle was hardly used the propane on board might not have been used up.

Either that or they had a source for propane filling that didn't bother to check the dates on the tanks. Some sellers don't always insist on following the regulations. I have a couple of horror stories about propane handlers from when I was driving the Class A... :rolleyes:

If it was a farm vehicle, perhaps they fueled it themselves from a large tank on the farm.  I'm not positive, but I believe some tractors run on propane.  Any farm with such a tractor would have it's own fueling facilities.

Regards
John

gsfish said:
I got curious and looked around and it seems that the permanent type tanks are certified by ASME and don't need to be re-certified. Portable tanks are under DOT and need 12 year re-certification.

http://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/7543980367
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=30822.0

Guy

I have a 2000 model Roadtrek with one of the asme tanks.  My propane place never has looked for a certification date (I am right there when they fill it) unless it is on the fill end of the tank.  When I looked at the end of the tank, all I see is the fuel level meter, a knob to turn it on and off with, the fuel fill and a hose going to the regulator.  When I bought it, I thought I would have to replace the tank.  My research showed that it was asme certified and did not require recertification like the portable tanks (DOT).  

well the guy was going to call me back with measurements so I could see if I could find a spot to mount it.......no call yet....
craigslist go figure
hell with it

Are you sure that isn't a 100# tank and not a 100Gallon?
Either way , I've never had bigger than a 20Gallon tank on any of my RVs , cooking and heating water ,by myself , always lasted what seemed to be a long time. 6 months to a year is typical.

The info an ASME permanently mounted tanks is correct , just portable 20# and 30# type tanks need to be re-certified and that isn't a big deal to go through anyway. Many fill stations will do it for a small cost. They're just looking for rust etc.

I'd get a smaller one just to not be carrying all that weight.
Unless you plan on being out somewhere prepping or something similar.

you also need to find out if it is 'liquid feed' tank....some propane powered engines are fed liquid instead of gaseous fuel.
pick up tube for the valve is different between the two types.

ya can't use a 20# forklift liquid fuel tank on your bbq grill.....same principle.

I must like replying to old threads. While in Canada I had an old truck that was propane only, the 30 gallon (imperial) saddle tanks had to be checked (recertification by a licensed propane shop) every year (they have to have a red triangle sticker on the windshield in order for the station to fill road fuel).
I had one of my 3 tanks fail the test for rust, thus in Canada couldn’t use it and it had to be removed.  When driving down in the states, none of the Flying J or Pilot attendants ever knew how to check anything.

Big brother really has you covered up north. I pity youse guys and gals if that form of governmental control takes more hold down here... the RCMP periodically conducts roadside checks for propane tanks as well as spot weights on rv’s and truck campers. I’ve passed through them.

Better to have inspections than to have the propane tank next to you explode.