12 volt TV's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
Anyone have / recommend one that is 32" - 40" or bigger low amp?

I was looking at Jensen 32" - Power Consumption: 20mA stand by, 3.17A max

They also have a 40", it just says 70 watts power consumption. Which would be mid to high 5 amps.

Any advice?

My advice - go smaller. I’m very happy with my 22inch and don’t miss the big TV at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have great eyesight when it comes to seeing small / details.

I use the tv (HDMI) for my laptop output.

I'm currently not full time in the van and use a 55" tv and have my laptop set to 125% screen size.

Probably should get some real glasses. I use some +1.25 reading glasses when on the computer.

So 32" - 40" is probably bare minimum for me at this time.

I get it.
I’m full time and run everything off of a 160 watt solar suitcase. I use very little electricity. We all have different needs.

Hopefully someone has experience with larger tv’s.

Also you can get very good deals on eyeglasses and exams in Algadones Mexico. I got the exam, frames, tinted lenses and progressive trifocals for $119 with same day service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 24" Access TV/DVD LCD 12 volt I got from Amazon. It has a cigarette plug. I'm happy with it.

I bought 4 pair of 6+ eyeglasses on Amazon for $25. They are scratch resistant and have spring frames. You pick the strength you need. I can afford to break or lose them at this price and I can always buy more.

I have a 28" 12v Jensen that came with the trailer. I use it exclusively with my Roku to watch videos. The sound quality is abysmal. But otherwise, it's okay. It's way too big for my little 21' trailer as it sits right at the foot of the bed.
Ted

One option if you do not find the 12 volt TV of your dreams is to go and look at the power cords of the TV's locally. Do any of them have power bricks? Take really good reading glasses and maybe a small flashlight so that you can read the power brick and see what the output is. Is it in the 12 volt range? If so then you can mimic the output cord and connect it to your battery system along with a inline fuse. At the same time you can see what the power consumption is.

I found a LG 24" Smart TV that had a transformer in the cord. It was 19.5 VDC output. I took a laptop charger that had 19.5 VDC output and spliced it into the cable. Seems like it was 4.5 amps at 19.5 volts. Be sure to match the replacement amps with the same or higher. My TV is only about 5 feet from my viewing chair and works well for me. The closer they are the smaller they can be.

The power rating on the label is typically a maximum. The actual consumption will be about half of the maximum. I have a 32" Vizio TV and use an inverter to power it. The TV draws 1.7 amps on the 12 volt side with the backlight brightness set on low. Varying the backlight has a big effect on current. Going from low to high increases the current by 1 amp on my TV. Most things will work fine with a cheap MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverter, but to be safe, a PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverter would be preferred. If you will be powering only the TV, a 100 watt inverter would be sufficient. There's a slight penalty involved in power consumption by using an inverter.

I have a Majestic 12v TV. they are made for marine/off highway use. they are not cheap but they work good. they are available up to 32inch. highdesertranger

I found the manuals for Jensen TV's and the 32" (they have 2 models) and they both have power consumption rating of 65 watts. That's 5.4 amps @ 12v. So the 3.1 max I saw advertised on a site is incorrect.

Latest posts