12 volt pump for my sink

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK kitchen is complete also got my battery in and all wired up to the dual battery isolater that I ordered from dfna. Com so far everything seems to be working like it should be. Here are the finished pics.

well i decided in the long run to just use the one pound bottles instead of a bigger tank. since I'm not a full-time van dweller i can get bye with those for the time being plus they are available pretty much any where if i find I'm using a lot of them i might change it up later.

The 1 lb bottles will last pretty well for casual cooking and heating coffee water.
We like the coffee filter that sits on a mug rather than our automatic drip job.

Nice job! The bar faucet is a good idea because it will allow you to fill water bottles and wash stuff easier. To conserve water get a low flow aerator. Ours, bought at a big box home store, is .5 gallon per minute which is a pretty low flow but still plenty to do everything.

So, after seeing links from several posters in this and other threads, what is the advantage of using a camper/boat faucet with a button on it vs. a 'real' faucet (which, in general, seem to be higher quality to me) with a separate 12v switch for turning on your water pump?

By the way, anyone wanting to put together a kitchen island like this? Heres a cool drop-in sink I found at The Home Depot complete with faucet and drain for $99.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Al...le-Single-Bowl-Bar-Sink-HD320874LFR/202503789

34e81148-a081-4f36-8614-9e6a607f0b3c_65.jpg

Having been in the construction industry all my life, I can say the marine grade is a higher quality.

No need to spend a hundred bucks when the stainless bowl idea works so well at a much better price for parts and all.
Besides, if you're not quite level the bowl will drain better than a square one that pools in a corner.

I prefer a standard valve rather than push button...tall ones are great. A switch on the pump is a must and the valve adjusts the flow easily.

I really like the way you've secured the fresh water jug and battery. Is the unit itself bolted down?

Vickie

ok let me try to explain how i have it mounted, the grey counter top, in the rear is sitting on the wood frame of the window where the cup holder and ashtray goes it is held down with one screw in each corner. the black leg boards are only mounted to the grey countertop and they just stand and rest on the floor. i did it this way so i can pull the whole counter top thing out only removing 2 screws if i needed to work on wires and stuff. now the wood bottom is a separate piece mounted to the floor using four self tapping screws i then laid out where things would go the battery and fresh water jug are kept from sliding around using .25 cent marking stakes cut to size then screwed to the board then i added the strap on the jug and made a battery hold down out of two large L brackets and an actual battery hold down bolt kit and a piece of 1x4 definitely a lot stronger than the cheap complete hold downs they sell.

ok now on the faucet originally i just had some pvc pipe for a faucet so the switch was necessary to turn the pump on and off. but the the shurflo pump has a pressure cut off so when i changed to the actual faucet i really did not need the switch because when you cut the faucet off the pump shuts off due to the shutoff pressure switch. i left the switch in place and hooked up so one if i want to work on the pump i don't have to unhook the battery and two i did not want an unused hole in the counter top maybe later i can take it out and put a tooth brush holder there or something but for now i will leave it be.

Oh, good point about the square sink...hadn't thought about that.

I agree - very good point on the square sink.

Dumb question from a newby: Why do you need both a faucet and a switch for the water pump? Isn't one of them redundent?

Spiff

A regular faucet needs water pressure to work. Unless you have a pressurized water system or are hooked up to city water, your 12v pump is what pumps the water out of the tank. It only needs to be on when you need water flow.
The way most of us deal with this is a switch you click when you need water pressure, then click it off.

A switch is a good idea. Be a shame to come home to find a leak in the system and water dripping out your doors, a burned out pump and empty water supply.
It can happen :(
Water is only used occasionally, so why have the pump powered full time?

You did a nice job of describing the installation, and I appreciate it. This is one of the best relatively simple sink set-ups I've seen. If we ever decide we really need a sink, I hope you won't mind if I copy yours.

Vickie