04 Chevy PU Hard Start

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closeanuf

Reaction score
2004 Chevy 1500 5.3 sometimes it doesn't want to start.  Bought a new battery after some testing, that helped a little.  What it does is when I turn the key to the start position it attempts to start and then everything dies.  Try again right away nothing at all.  Say a few magic words, wait a while and eventually it starts.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to the factory security system.  I've got it where I can eventually get it to start and it may go all day and be just fine and then here we go again.  On YouTube I see videos about cutting and splicing wires and bypassing the security system, which I do not have a problem with if it will cure the problem.  Nobody pays any attention to blinking headlights and honking horns anyway.  Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it.  As far as I can tell the Chevy Express and GMC big van use basically the same system.  Any help will be appreciated.

Sounds like a bad battery cable or battery cable connection somewhere.

Corrosion, loose connection, frayed cable, something along those lines.

Inspect and/or test everything from the battery itself to the starter, ground connections, all of it.

Turn on the headlights, then start the engine: do they stay on, or do they wink out or go out and stay out when the engine fails to start?

Start with the simple, obvious things...eliminate those, then move on to more complex reasons for the no-start condition.

closeanuf said:
2004 Chevy 1500 5.3 sometimes it doesn't want to start.  Bought a new battery after some testing, that helped a little.  What it does is when I turn the key to the start position it attempts to start and then everything dies. 

No specific help for that vehicle but generally for start problems I make sure the battery connections are clean, bright & tight. Not "good" connections there can mess with things. This is staring with the basics..

Good luck!

Yes, bad connections or cables. Negative, battery to block, block to chassis, Positive, Battery to starter, battery to ignition switch, switch to starter. Also alternator to battery. Sometimes it can be the starter housing to block.

when my chevy astrovan had a similar problem. It would sometimes after a weekend of no use, it would be slow crank, or might not crank over. After 2 battery replacements, I found the problem. 
It was one of the battery sidepost terminals, the threads were too short. If tightend too tight they would jump out of the battery, I had to tightend as close as possible and that made for a loose connection. This prevented the battery from getting a full charge and also didnt pass enough current to the starter on some occasions.
I replace the terminal 2 years ago and never had the problem again, it was an easy fix.

Just a guess but if the security kicked in, would be a total non start, wouldn't turn over.
GM did have a problem in the 2000s with the ignition barrel, worn and used barrel/key and would trigger the security, but it wouldn't even turn over as it is a failsafe for theft and usually accompanied with dash lights and error codes. Then had to either disconnect battery, reset codes or wait 10-15 mins to restart. IIRC when I looked into this with my GM minivan few years back.
In my case, was a loose battery cable at side terminal which was *@~¥®! Pain to access and tighten. Hasn't been an issue since.
My 2007 GM minivan has been rock solid over 4 yrs of ownership.

Yeah, this sounds like corrosion or bad connections. Feel the cables and connections with your hand when the problem is happening. Typically, a point of resistance like a bad connection will get hot. It should be very obvious and significantly more heat than surrounding cables. You might have to take things apart and clean with a wire brush. Pay particular attention to the ground/negative cables and both ends, not just at the battery... Make sure the auxiliary ground strap from frame to engine is still there and in good condition. If all cables and connections are good, then I'd look at getting the starter tested for amperage draw. Starters can go bad, but cables and corrosion are top offenders.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have a new battery and those bolts are tight for sure.  I don't have a "chip" key, but my long time trusted mechanic told me this morning that a worn key could be causing the problem.  Youtube had a couple "fixes" but I'm going to save them as a last result.  A girl told me this morning her brother had the same problem with his Chevy pickup and I asked her if she could find out what he did and she said yeah he traded it off.  I'll keep you posted.

Yesterday It finally gave up the ghost and and refused to start.  Had to get towed to my mechanic.  He did some tests and it was the ignition switch I replaced last year.  NAPA warrantied it and I'm up and running again.

Did you have to rekey with the new ignition switch?
What did it cost?
Thx for sharing so we can all learn from it as well.

Did you have the switch replaced by one of NAPA's distributor type garages and if so did they cover the labor to trouble shoot and replace the switch?

Where you put the key in is not the switch.  That's called the lock cylinder and that activates the actual electrical switch that mounts below the lock cylinder mechanism.  I had actually replaced the switch myself about a year ago so I just "knew" that couldn't be it and I was just tired of trying to diagnose the problem.  NAPA traded the switch, but I had to pay for the installation, but keep in mind the shop checked other possible problems I wasn't aware could be the problem.  I didn't mind paying them because I was to the place where I was pulling out what little hair I have left.  I did not have to rekey the key cylinder.

If you go to youtube and search for replacing ignition switch for whatever vehicle you have you will better understand how the ignition switch functions.