“Good deals” on food, share your tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hard time seeing how one can save much money buying food from a grocery vs fast food, like the 2 whopper for $6 deal at BK.

Let's break it down. 1 lb of 80% ground meat costs around $3-$3.50/lb around here, so you can make 2 nice burger patties for $3 (remember, they will shrink a lot when all the fat and water gets cooked out).
Then you must buy a head of organic lettuce (as no place I know sells smaller quantities) for $2. This is easily enough for 8 burgers. So 50 cents worth will be used for 2 burgers. You must then figure out something else to do with the rest.
1 - 1/4 lb organic tomato cost $2.50/lb or 62 cents for 2 burgers.
A bottle of mayo is $3. Of course only a small amount is used for 2 burgers, say 25 cents. Add another 25 cents for catsup and mustard and 40 cents for pickles and onions.
Big, fluffy hamburger buns go for $2.99 -$3.49/8, so a pair of buns will be 75 cents. The price of salt and pepper is negligible. The sales tax rate is the same here (about 9.5%) regardless if you buy groceries or prepared food, so that's a wash.

That means you have over $5 in ingredients if you want to make the equivalent of 2 "whopper" sandwiches yourself, vs $6 for buying them already made and ready to eat. So the value of your time for cooking and cleaning, plus the price of fuel, soap and paper products for the job must be worth less than a buck to you for you to break even on the deal. Plus you have lots of leftover condiments, lettuce, bread, etc. that you must consume before it spoils to even break even.

Sure if all you eat is ramen noodles, beans and rice, like I did in my college days, then you can do so for a fraction of the cost of fast food. But if I went to the grocery store and bought all the ingredients to make say a nice salad it would cost more than buying a $5.94 (with coupon) all-you-can-eat soup, salad and breadstick lunch at Olive Garden - plus you've got soup and breadsticks too.

I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone what or how to eat. I'm just saying if you add the cost of all the ingredients, seasonings, spices, etc. factor in cooking and clean-up costs and add the value of your time, even at 1/2 of minimum wage (which I don't think anyone here would willingly work for), sometimes (but certainly not all the time or even most of the time) eating out can be the cheapest way to go, especially if you are only cooking for one and have a healthy appetite. Now if you have a big, hungry family to feed and can buy your food in bulk, cooking huge meals to be shared by all then the opposite will be true, but I think few people here fall into that category.

Chip

Your numbers are off. Burger King's Whopper only has a 4 Oz patty. This would be 4 patties to a pound. You are also throwing in the much higher cost of organic produce, none of which are in the Whopper (that I am aware of).

A small jar of sliced pickles will last a long time if only 3-4 slices are used per burger.

Everything else has multiple uses.

I can feed my family, 3-5 people on well under $100 week, lots healthier and **much** tastier than going to even expensive restaurants.

Very little is pre-prepared, best just buy the basic ingredients.

Fast food is disgusting except as a rare "special treat" for the kids.

Yes many say "oh I can't" but fact is if you want to you can.

Even living in a van.

Unfortunately good food and cheap food do not go hand in hand , i prefer eating less and eating better quality although an occasional nice juicy hamburger does fill the bill just on my own cooktop.

I personally do most of my shopping at Aldi. They mainly sell private label stuff and are really cheap and sell good quality stuff too. Most of their store brand stuff that I have bought is as good or better than the name brand equivalent. They also sell their eggs and milk super cheap which helps. They routinely have eggs for 50 cents to a dollar a dozen and gallons of milk for $1-$2.

Bean sprouts for your salads and as fresh vegetables-a long term investment, but ends up cheap and very nutritious. You can buy 24oz of an assortment of organic beans for $18 on Amazon, for example. It ends up as a huge, long lasting stream of sprouts. I use a tablespoon, which ends up being a full quart of sprouts. You can buy a kit with a quart Ball jar or even the just lids for your own jars for $10 and $5 respectively on Amazon. After the one-time investment, you have all that's needed. You can use sprouts pretty much with most meals.
Ted

Ted,
Sprouts sound intriguing. What equipment do I need exactly?

Big jars, plastic screening and fat rubber bands.

Soak in water overnight, drain, from then on just keep moist (rinse and drain) in a dark spot.

After sprouting give some light (but keep moist cool) to green them up.

Alfalfa's my favorite, mustard for zing.

John61CT said:
I can feed my family, 3-5 people on well under $100 week, lots healthier and **much** tastier than going to even expensive restaurants.

Very little is pre-prepared, best just buy the basic ingredients.

Fast food is disgusting except as a rare "special treat" for the kids.

Yes many say "oh I can't" but fact is if you want to you can.

Even living in a van.

I also agree John

As a solo snowbird now in a TC (Transit Connect) space is at a premium. My favorite food reup on the road is the Dollar Tree with coolers and freezers (their website shows which ones have coolers and freezers).

Because of their dollar price point many food items are smaller portioned than a supermarket. This is a bonus when your refrigerator is just 18 liters.

With 2 SwiftMud camps just north and south of Inverness FLA and with Walmart, Dollar Tree, Bimbo bakery factory outlet, public library, and an Asian buffet within just a few miles on US41/44 the entire scene is compact and convenient.