Comfy no-heat warmth solution

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
I recently ran into someone who frequents this forum.
They said sleeping was a huge issue for them and wanted me to help them install a heater.
(We ordered one of the Chinese diesel 12v heaters, but it had not come in by the time this person needed to leave. Something about some gathering out West...some nomadic folks all get naked and beat drums...no, that was Bread and Puppet. What were we talking about...puff...)

Kidding aside, I could not believe they had never done the "triple bag tent."

Cheap sleeping bag under you.
Cheap one on top as a blanket.
A third one, with a 2x4 or pole inside, with wire or twine attaching it to the roof...so it makes a "teepee" that hangs over your torso and head about 16 inches off your face.
This keeps you (and a dog, if you have one) nice and toasty without the need to run a heater.
Rolling the bag off you a little or putting a paper towel inner roll to allow a little cold air in will regulate temp to your liking.
Three campers were unaware or had never thought of doing this.
I found this shocking.
Spent many a night in -5f temps this way with my dog. (Inside windows ice up without a roof vent cracked.)

It really works, saves money and is very comfy.
That face/torso cover makes all the difference.
I could not find this suggestion here, but I would be shocked if it has not been mentioned before.

First I’ve heard. Google has no clue. I like it. So the 2x4 is hung parallel about 16”? Or just at the head area . Kinda like a bivy

regis101 said:
First I’ve heard. Google has no clue. I like it. So the 2x4 is hung parallel about 16”? Or just at the head area . Kinda like a bivy

Whatever works for you. I hang it so the high point is right over my shoulders.
The bag ends up stopping somewhere between belly button and rib area.
Popping twine through it and wrapping at around a piece of broom handle to keep it from pulling through works really well...or a piece of PVC pipe.
Think about the shape of a tent. N-S or E-W orientation does not matter. However it works best for your own vehicle/situation.

The ones they sell (at least the ones I have seen) seem to be for bug shield and dew...not for cold weather.
A sheet or blanket will not provide the same comfort as a 25 dollar WalMart bag. Remember, super pricey bags for ultra cold weather is not what you want. You want air to flow...but be slowed down and given some insulation. The one I used most in the -5 situation was a childs bag. A cheap one from Wally world.

Plenty of air exchanges, but I like the paper towel roll setup.
I put a piece of duct tape on it and then stapled it to the very top of the bag. In the ultra cold, you can cover it with a shirt or tuck it under the pillow. 30 degrees or more and it makes a nice vent.

One thing I will warn you about though...
On taco night...if you have a Rottweiler, it might be best for them to remain outside the tented cocoon.
:) :) :)

JD wrote, * You want air to flow...but be slowed down and given some insulation *

I concur.

You'll have to limit the Rott to two tacos, three max, maybe then huh?

When you lie on top of down or polyfil you compress it and it loses most of its insulation value. So it would work better to attach the bottom bag under the sleeping surface.

You guys are far more off grid than I am. I can put up with just about any high temperatures in the Summer, but trying to sleep in 50 degree, and lower temps inside starts to wear on me. I shiver easily, and my teeth start chatterting below 40. Worst of all is getting out of that sleeping bag in the morning to freezing temps.

Yeah, despite my Viking heritage, I really dislike cold weather. But some people love it and wouldn't leave frozen places if you paid them. Go figure.

ckelly78z said:
You guys are far more off grid than I am. I can put up with just about any high temperatures in the Summer, but trying to sleep in 50 degree, and lower temps inside starts to wear on me. I shiver easily, and my teeth start chatterting below 40. Worst of all is getting out of that sleeping bag in the morning to freezing temps.

I assure you, if you did it this way after finding the right bottom/top  bag, you would not have teeth-chatter. If anything, you would be venting the face-tent from being too warm. Amazing how much heat you lose through breathing in cold air.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When I was @ -5 degrees, I slept right on the bottom bag...that was on top of a foam mattress. Had no problems with it.
Not so sure how putting the sleeping bag under the foam would have worked out...or made any difference. Your weight would still be on it, flattening it out.
(Maybe I am not understanding what you meant though.)

JD GUMBEE said:
Not so sure how putting the sleeping bag under the foam would have worked out...or made any difference. Your weight would still be on it, flattening it out.
(Maybe I am not understanding what you meant though.)

I meant to put it under whatever platform you have the mattress on, assuming the platform is on some kind of legs.

ckelly78z said:

50 and 40....   it's gonna be 72 in my rv. I will be warm no matter the cost.

JD GUMBEE said:
Something about some gathering out West...some nomadic folks all get naked and beat drums...

Man, that could be anything. You've got the Rainbow kids that do that sort of thing everywhere. They're fun to travel with, but hippies, even younger ones, are really set in their ways. Could be Burning Man. I've never been, but I hear good things.

Funny how the simple things can stop ya dead in yer tracks. I can’t wrap my head around the mechanics of this.
I’ve googled and YouTubed numerous ways.
I almost want to think this could be done by having a third bag opened up, use the Rott’s tennis ball at the middle , tie off the ball to the bag , then hoist the third bag upward vertically and tie off to the roof when desired height above head and torso is achieved

At 3:35 this morning, in far southeast California, I stood outside in my underwear. No multiple sleeping bags needed. THAT'S a comfy no-heat warmth solution. :D

regis101 said:
Funny how the simple things can stop ya dead in yer tracks.

I think it’s as simple as that. I haven’t tried it yet but it seems easy enough. 

In my case, when it’s cold the dog will worm her way under the open sleeping bag but then I can’t toss and turn like I usually do. Having a bag suspended maybe 6-8 inches above gives one room to move as well as create a warm space with good airflow. I’m going to try it.

regis101 said:
I almost want to think this could be done by having a third bag opened up, use the Rott’s tennis ball at the middle , tie off the ball to the bag , then hoist the third bag upward vertically and tie off to the roof when desired height above head and torso is achieved
^^^^EXACTLY^^^^ DING DING DING!!! You got it perfectly.

(Never used a tennis ball, but if you like it...GO FOR IT! The thing inside the third bag is only really a washer so the twine/wire/rope/string...(or the sinew you saved from your last murder victim...LOL) does not pull through the bag. :) :) :)

Those who do it will quickly realize they no longer need a heater at night.
It truly is the safest, cheapest option.
(Keep in mind, I always had inches of foam or a futon mattress under me though. YMMV if you sleep on plywood or similar.)

^^^^  "AHHHHH !!!   MY EYES !!!!!!"

:cool:

Alas, even for us snowbirds there are cold days. On Thursday it was 75 here in Texas. It got down to 40 last night when that cold front came through. Brrrr.

MrNoodly said:
When you lie on top of down or polyfil you compress it and it loses most of its insulation value. So it would work better to attach the bottom bag under the sleeping surface.

Knew a person who deals with this by putting a piece of foam board under their sleeping pad. Then no need for a bottom sleeping bag.

I dunno whether it would make any sense to put a piece of foam board underneath a mattress though.

I am comfortable sleeping with my head under the covers, so I wouldn't bother with the tent idea.