Solar Showers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
I was at Walmart today and they had 5 gallon solar showers on sale for $7.97.

The problem for a lot of us with the solar shower bags is that 5 gallons weighs in at 40 lbs and that's a lot to lift way up over your head to hang it or put it on the roof of your vehicle. Without getting it high enough, you have no pressure because it's gravity feed.

With a high top van it becomes impossible to get anything up there unless you install a ladder and then again, you're dealing with the weight.

5 gallons is way more water than most of us need to shower. I use 2 to 2 1/2 gallons including washing my long hair and using a cream rinse on it. Without the cream rinse I  can manage in less than 2 gallons.

I like my 2 1/2 gallon spray container that's painted black. I changed out the hose to 1/2" ID hose and with adapters outfitted it with an RV shower head that has the on/off switch at the shower head.

If the weather isn't good enough to get the water warm or if I'm in a hurry I can always heat water on the stove and mix it in the tank to the right temp.

I can also move inside for a shampoo in the kitchen sink and then a bird bath if the weather isn't co-operating with my shower schedule.

The problem of lifting that much weight to the roof was why I ended up with this solution....

IMG_0592.JPG

Permanent mounting.  Two pipes..one to pump water up..the other gravity feed to the faucet.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 30
Get a 2.5 gal size. Sunshower brand is what I use. You just heat up a gallon of water on the camp stove if there is no sun. Use a funnel to fill. I also use a one gallon weed sprayer with built in spray nozzle from Dollar General.

I ended up with the solution of filling it a 3rd of the way then using the leftovers for a second shower.

One advantage of a 5 gallon sun shower is that if you only fill it with a couple of gallons it will heat up faster (water spreads out to catch more sun).  A disadvantage, along with weight, if you fill with 5 gallons is that it will take a long time in the sun to heat.

I have a 5 gallon Sun Shower that I usually fill with one gallon.  On a sunny day I get a nice hot shower in about an hour, two hours and I need to add cold water to make it comfortable.  I have never tried it with 5 gallons, but I would guess it would take five to six hours to heat.

Typical store brand shampoos are made for home users with an abundant supply of hot water to lather and rinse, so its very concentrated. But you dont have to use it that way.

If you dilute your favorite shampoo about 5:1, 5 parts water and 1 part shampoo, in a small squirt or spray bottle, you will end up using less water since its much easier to rinse out. You will also use less shampoo....since you are wasting less of it.

You can also use it this way as a body wash...and it's very easy to rinse off.

Hey, it works for me!

:D

great advice, gonna have to take you up on that.

Yep...try it...

My 'store brand' reference was supposed to mean major and local brands...not just 'store brands'...

Anyway, the brands that you buy in the stores!....

I have not used shampoo in years.

Try using backing soda. 1 tablespoon to a cup of water.
Get your hair wet....save the water for rinse.
Then work the soda/water solution thru your hair...just like it was shampoo

Because there are no sids..it will rinse out in just a couple cups of water

Rinse till you feel your hair squeak

Done

Save the rinse water..it can be used for other cleaning ... even diluted baking soda is good to clean things like countertops, etc. or add it to laundry to boost the cleaning.

VanKitten how does that work out when u brush your hair afterwards? Tangles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my hair is shorter now...but when I had long curley hair I used vinegar. Yes, about 1/4 cup to 2 cups of water. It rinses nice, the smell disappears quickly, and leaves your hair soft and shinny.

With short hair.... no tangles, and soft smooth hair with just baking soda

Also..vinegar is something I carry anyway because it is a good cleaner and disinfectant

Almost There said:
The problem for a lot of us with the solar shower bags is that 5 gallons weighs in at 40 lbs and that's a lot to lift way up over your head to hang it or put it on the roof of your vehicle. Without getting it high enough, you have no pressure because it's gravity feed.

With a high top van it becomes impossible to get anything up there unless you install a ladder and then again, you're dealing with the weight.

5 gallons is way more water than most of us need to shower. I use 2 to 2 1/2 gallons including washing my long hair and using a cream rinse on it. Without the cream rinse I  can manage in less than 2 gallons.

I like my 2 1/2 gallon spray container that's painted black. I changed out the hose to 1/2" ID hose and with adapters outfitted it with an RV shower head that has the on/off switch at the shower head.

If the weather isn't good enough to get the water warm or if I'm in a hurry I can always heat water on the stove and mix it in the tank to the right temp.

I can also move inside for a shampoo in the kitchen sink and then a bird bath if the weather isn't co-operating with my shower schedule.

I did something similar except used a kitchen sink sprayer on mine. It works great for showers and dishes. I love it and it has no heavy lifting over your head to hang a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost There said:

Would it be possible to put a longer hose on it, put it on the ground, then step on it to get the water to flow.  You might put a flat board or book on top of it to help.

I like the Helio pressure shower but it is pricey at $99.00

How ever you heat your water, put it in something like this:

Note: This is a 45 second video of a foot pump shower.

Rolling BnB said:
Would it be possible to put a longer hose on it, put it on the ground, then step on it to get the water to flow.  You might put a flat board or book on top of it to help.

I wouldn't try it...the solar shower bags are not THAT strong. My bet is that the first time you tried forcing the water out of it that way the bag would split before you got done rinsing.... :D

I've seen metal tubing painted black mounted along the side of a roof rack used as a solar water tank.

They can be pressurized however you like, fancy rigs plumb it from the air compressor tank.

Just make sure it's all strong, water is heavy to be carried that high; personally I'd probably empty it for roadtrips.

If you color your hair DO NOT use baking soda to wash unless you have plenty of water to rinse with! It will strip your color if you don't. I gave up on the "no poo" method because of that and I could still smell the vinegar.

I also gave up on the solar shower. Too heavy!

My problem would be finding something to hang it on when there are no suitable trees nearby.  That can happen a lot because the forest floors near me are covered with poison oak.  Anyway, there's nothing on my trailer itself that looks like it could support much weight.