Hello from Ohio.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased a brand new 2015 Ford Transit 250 cargo van. In the first month of ownership, I've outfitted the van with a bed, desk, chair and other amenities that I want. My approach is to not modify the van in a permanent way, but to keep it modular so I can use the van for cargo as well as camping (or living, if I choose). I've created a YouTube channel with the same name as my username, with a space in the name.

I have lived in central Ohio my whole life. For some time I've been interested in self-reliance and simplified living. It's been a natural progression for me, wanting to minimize my life and get rid of the junk I never use.

I haven't decided whether I'll live in my van or not, but at the least, it's a camper van. I would love to not have to pay rent and apply that money toward paying off debts and being free and clear. I do have pets that I have to deal with at the moment, so I can't just pull up stakes and start living in a van just yet.

My idea is to use resources available to me (internet, water/restrooms/gym, local and state parks, storage for swapping gear in and out) to allow me to have a comfortable existence and keep the van minimal at the same time.

I've been lurking on the website off and on for awhile and finally decided to join in on the forum. I'd love to meet and talk to other Ohioans, especially.

Take care and thank you in advance for the welcome.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

akrvbob said:
Please, please, please, do you have any pictures!! I'd really love to see what one looks like!
Bob

This is shortly after I picked it up. You can also find videos on my various additions at my YT channel of the same name (Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSQAYPXTsoBIzHYuFydBAQ). Before I created my channel dedicated to the van, I did two tour videos of the van at the dealership (see this playlist on YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWG_UjVweZ04tO6DQCy0VpIDfiuX-nfKN).

Transit5.jpgTransit4.jpgTransit3.jpgTransit2.jpgTransit1.jpg

Attachments

• Transit1.jpg
    Transit1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Transit2.jpg
    Transit2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Transit3.jpg
    Transit3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Transit4.jpg
    Transit4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Transit5.jpg
    Transit5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
Although watching videos isn't my thing, I was able to get enough out of a couple of them to see that the Transit looks like a really nice vandwelling rig, very roomy. Also, it's more finished inside than I expected for a cargo van. Will you do any extra insulation on the walls/ceiling/floors? Keep posting photos. Maybe some stills from the videos. We love pics! Welcome to the forum. Suanne

Looks excellent. I am jealous of the space! Have only looked at the first two videos since you got it, will check out some of the other ones on the main channel. You got a ton of videos up for such a short time!

No plans on any alterations in the short term. No insulation, no modifications that would require drilling holes or tapping screws. I want it to be modular and minimal. I'll post more pics when I can get some more taken. I'd rather post pictures than stills from the videos, for better detail. Yes, I've been recording multiple videos daily. *grin*

Hello from a sister Ohioan! I'm in the Union/Delaware County area and have an older RV at Tree Haven Campground in Westerville. Like most of central Ohio, I camp a lot at Alum Creek. This past weekend, I tent camped at Pastime Park in Plain City.

Welcome!

Hello from Worthington, your van looks so great and it may still smell like new hehe. I an converting a Nissan nv . Itd be nice . To gather and look at your rig!!!congrats again

@dragonflyinthesky - Thank you. :eek:)

I just replaced the stock dome lights with LED's and they're looking awesome.

Good luck with your conversion. We used to go to Alum Creek a lot, when our son was in college in the area. It's been a while, but we may head back there next week. Didn't realize there were so many Buckeyes here.

Pictures of the van so far...

* Curtains. Additional complete window covering coming soon.
* Replaced the dome lights in the cargo area with LED's.
* Twin sized Sealy Posturepedic bed with modified frame for 13" clearance under the bed.
* Portable "power station" battery.
* 7 gallon water jug, for gray water use if needed, not for drinking.
* Wall hammocks for stowing miscellaneous gear.
* Plastic bins under the bed for gear storage.
* Desk and chair (Office Depot/Office Max) with casters left off during installation.

See the next post for more pics.

Additional pics.

More pics coming, when it's daylight out.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    993.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2357.JPG
    IMG_2357.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Folks, when you load full-size pics to the forum, they are virtually unviewable. You need to resize them before you upload them.
Bob

Looks like you're doing a good job of making it comfy

Sorry about the huge pics, Bob. I'll fix it going forward.

Thanks. Yeah, just a few more things to do and it'll be set. Things I have left are finding a heat source I'm comfortable with when I'm not at a campsite with electricity, window coverings or partitions (or both) and ventilation, but I think I'll be using an Endless Breeze for that.