Making a hatchback habitable

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I've got a 1980 Toyota Corolla hatchback to work with at the moment, on loan so cannot do any permanent modifications.

Removed the back seats, put a bunch of plastic storage bins in their place fitted together just right to form supporting structure for a very flimsy "board" to be laid across the top for a sleeping area.

The top part has a "hinge" made of tape to fold the board back so the seat can be pushed back for driving.

The "board" is very floppy, I currently don't have the option for sturdier construction but I think it'll be okay as I'm 90lbs with shoes on.

I thought I could store nearly all my stuff in the bins but ran into a bind the other day when I ended up too weak to tear apart my setup to access essentials. Due to my physical condition, much of what's "convenience" for other people is the difference between handling a situation on my own versus being forced to call a relative to come "rescue" me, which occurred last week. So I'm reassessing what is stored in the bins - there is very little I'm taking with me that I rarely need to access so most of them may remain empty for now.

Bitty,

Thanks for the pics and explanation. They help a lot. What I'll do is show you what works for me with a bit of a description. Then, you can take what fits and leave the rest. Here are my top three necessities for car dwelling.

First, I need a comfortable bed. Currently, I use a self-inflating pad (foam inside) that is 3.5" thick. It's 25"x72". It looks like you have more than enough space allocated for sleeping. Do you have a comfortable mattress? Here's a picture of my set up from 4 years ago (now, different mattress and front seat back is up).

gZBII_sSuiBhVP9dBzi_g3ZAPE1HV5U0WBjIJ4D-V5c=w296-h222-p-no

Second, I need storage space. I have 4 places: emergency gear under bed; cooking/camping gear under hatch; food, toiletries & laptop in front seat; and clothing in duffel bag on back seat (or driver's seat when sleeping/stationary). You have lots of storage under your bed platform, but it's difficult to access.

Third, I need a place to relax and dress. Without this space, I'm not sure I would be comfortable living out of my car long term. I use the area directly behind the driver's seat. Here's a picture with my bed turned down:

B7CDKthOAAMnrx1Cq1ROHeURV14yAPoWaF3yB4L-Rhk=w156-h208-p-no

Of course there's lots of other stuff that make car-living comfortable -- privacy curtains, electronics, food storage/prep, etc. But, these are my top three. If you are interested in more detail on my set up, check out the links on the right side of my blog (http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com).

Also, I know of some photos of a 2004 Corolla set up. But, it looks very different from the 1980 model. If you are interested in seeing those pics, let me know and I'll send directions on how to access them.

Looking good so far! :) And, sure is giving me idea on how to possibly use my new-to-me Pontiac hatchback.

Suanne,

Your post, pictures, and blog have been incredibly helpful. Thank you.

I'm currently borrowing a self-inflating sleeping pad more suited to backpacking. My sleeping area can barely take 70" length without removing the passenger seat. I'm hoping to score my own sleeping pad at the REI garage sale this weekend, thick as I can get it.

You've helped me identify the most pressing issue - currently with my bed out, there's literally no spot I can sit upright inside the car. I've figured out what I need to do next to create a little nook where sitting, bathing, and changing should be possible.

And thanks, @Theadyn! :)

Bitty,

I'm glad you are finding the information helpful. My 3.5" pad I use is a REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad. It's now significantly more expensive than what I paid. So, I hope you find a great bargain for a thick pad at your REI garage sale!

Also, I hope you continue to share photos of your progress. It's good stuff!

Suanne

Here is a clearanced sleeping pad, 3", about 60% off.

Sleeping Pad

And Another from Exped

I have an Exped pad and it's great.

Another inexpensive thing you might consider, depending upon your physical needs or limitations is a hammock. They can be super comfortable, even to give yourself a break from the car bed or as a place to relax when you are camping somewhere or even resting in the park. Easy to make or fairly inexpensive. Here is a site with loads of info. I will give you the link for an easy, self-made hammock.

http://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/make-hammock-3-minutes/

Thanks everyone.

With a bit of help, I've managed to improve my setup in two key ways:

1) Creating a little "nook" area where I can sit up right and "stand" (bent over) for dressing and such
2) Placing a layer of Reflectix underneath everything to improve insulation.

Starting from bare metal...

017resized20_zps51511313.jpg

Reflectix on next:

019resized20_zps12dd19e9.jpg

021resized20_zps8f7dc4c5.jpg

I cut out part of the board to create the nook area. This also makes some of the supporting bins accessible from inside the car, impossible with the previous setup.

60e9a906-8327-4c91-a772-6b3a54b7d76d_zps8b3365fa.jpg

An additional layer of Reflectix is between the board and storage bins, cut for accessibility.

027resized20_zps91b053c7.jpg

70" X 20" sleeping pad just fits.

026resized20_zps5fe17001.jpg

My nook with the bed made up beside it, and the storage bin in place for sitting on.

034resized20_zps4a93302c.jpg

I can sit on the bin and recline back onto the driver's seat as a backrest. The driver's seat is unhindered from returning to its upright position. Alternatively I can crouch or curl up into the footwell, which surrounded by Reflectix is now quite cozy.

036resized20_zps7464ea54.jpg

The exposed board serves as a desk to prevent my laptop from overheating.

My setup is now functional enough that I'm beginning to settle into it as my new home. Being warm enough and able to sit upright makes a huge difference.

It's looking more functional now Bitty. Good work. I'll be curious to see how long the exposed Reflectix lasts for you.

Suanne

Suanne said:
Bitty,

Thanks for the pics and explanation. They help a lot. What I'll do is show you what works for me with a bit of a description. Then, you can take what fits and leave the rest. Here are my top three necessities for car dwelling.

First, I need a comfortable bed. Currently, I use a self-inflating pad (foam inside) that is 3.5" thick. It's 25"x72". It looks like you have more than enough space allocated for sleeping. Do you have a comfortable mattress? Here's a picture of my set up from 4 years ago (now, different mattress and front seat back is up).

gZBII_sSuiBhVP9dBzi_g3ZAPE1HV5U0WBjIJ4D-V5c=w296-h222-p-no

Second, I need storage space. I have 4 places: emergency gear under bed; cooking/camping gear under hatch; food, toiletries & laptop in front seat; and clothing in duffel bag on back seat (or driver's seat when sleeping/stationary). You have lots of storage under your bed platform, but it's difficult to access.

Third, I need a place to relax and dress. Without this space, I'm not sure I would be comfortable living out of my car long term. I use the area directly behind the driver's seat. Here's a picture with my bed turned down:

B7CDKthOAAMnrx1Cq1ROHeURV14yAPoWaF3yB4L-Rhk=w156-h208-p-no

Of course there's lots of other stuff that make car-living comfortable -- privacy curtains, electronics, food storage/prep, etc. But, these are my top three. If you are interested in more detail on my set up, check out the links on the right side of my blog (http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com).

Also, I know of some photos of a 2004 Corolla set up. But, it looks very different from the 1980 model. If you are interested in seeing those pics, let me know and I'll send directions on how to access them.

Suanne, I just browsed through your blog...very sorry about your daughter. I too have a daughter, Elyse.

I need to update with interior pictures when I get the chance, as I've now removed the front passenger seat as well and added a dorm fridge (still an on-grid setup), but my current focus is the windows.

My current system is plain old Reflectix in the windows, which is ridiculously obvious and catches attention even from a distance. No option to hang curtains in this car, as I cannot make any permanent mods and there's only one grab bar, and cannot actually tint the windows.

However I found a product called Insta Cling, which uses decal material in window tinting shades, so just held on by static electricity. I tried it out today and it looks like it may work, with a few caveats.

This is 5% VLT, the darkest shading they had. You can't drive with it on. My idea was to use it as temporary tinting when I set up at night.

82f3227c-3264-4716-bc21-2a4784c221c8_zps24847e99.jpg

The window farthest to the right has had a fair bit of effort invested in applying it. This involves cleaning, water, and a credit card or similar item as a scraper, as well as a bunch of time. The middle window has the material simply pressed in around the edges without any water or work. Without sunlight it appears as tinting or curtains, but in sunlight looks like I've hung up trash bags. The window farthest left has it simply pressed on fully without work, which looks like trash bags or decal or something else weird. Very noticeable with or without sunlight.

My current plan is purchasing a lighter tint that I can spend all day meticulously applying and then leave on continuously. Then when parked somewhere for the night I can stick the darker shade on top of it and remove as needed. Preliminary experimentation shows the bubbles that occur with hasty water-free application directly to the window do not show when applied on top of an existing layer of decal tint. I've been testing it here with scraps and it appears it just might work.

Here's hoping. :)

If you have that 5% installed in the front window you should know that it's illegal, in all states I believe.

Luisafernandes said:
If you have that 5% installed in the front window you should know that it's illegal, in all states I believe.

Of course. Hence:

Bitty said:
You can't drive with it on. My idea was to use it as temporary tinting when I set up at night.

Bitty said:
The window farthest to the right has had a fair bit of effort invested in applying it. This involves cleaning, water, and a credit card or similar item as a scraper, as well as a bunch of time.

I only mentioned it because of that. Glad you aren't driving with it. : )
I used the 5% on my van side and back windows. In the front I used film with just UV ray protection, and the front windshield a strip of 5% along the top.

Looking good bitty!

FYI: Even with tinted windows, a light inside will make you visible at night. A red light is better (or a regular light with red cellophane over it).

Will the 5% film stick to the Relectix? If so, that might be easier to put up at night vs. the 5% film directly to the windows every night. Another possible solution is to glue black felt or black polyester fleece to the Reflectix.

Nice to see that you are making a comfy cave for yourself.

DazarGaidin said:
Thanks for the link, i was looking for something like that.

You're welcome. I've since found another brand, Gila Ultra Shield Peel and Cling, which is harder to find and slightly more pricey but appears to provide some reflectiveness and UV protection the other stuff doesn't.

Suanne said:
FYI: Even with tinted windows, a light inside will make you visible at night. A red light is better (or a regular light with red cellophane over it).

Ooh I knew light would be visible, but didn't know red light works better, I'll have to see how that works, thanks.

Suanne said:
Another possible solution is to glue black felt or black polyester fleece to the Reflectix.

Do you have any tips on sources? I had just concluded I needed to find myself some black felt. Adhesives tend to be problematic for me so it'd probably take some time to find something that works, but I'm hoping to head that direction as soon as I've got the tinting sorted.

I've used black fleece blankets/throws from thrift stores. Locally (in the PNW), the best buy for cheap new fleece is Hancock Fabrics. They are online too. But, I would think any major fabric store would have both fleece and felt.

I don't have any suggestions for adhesives. When you find one that works for you, please share. I have some sensitivities to many products that I'd like to avoid as well.

So glad you are staying warm now. Important stuff!

Suanne ... who just got a new hoodie for staying warm herself while sleeping