Heading to Quartzsite!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachOnTheRoad

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, just started out this summer and spent June - current camping in the Adirondacks out of my converted mini-van. I think I'm ready for more! Getting the routine down and feeling more confident and having more fun as the weeks go by. 

I'm planning to head West from NY State late Sept, early October, and making Quartzsite my goal for the winter. Going to take my time getting there, but leaving in time to stay with semi-warm weather.

I welcome any advice. I've only camped on the East Coast, never in the desert. 

Would welcome any route advice, not planning on going off into the wilderness on my way out there.

I'd like to find a friendly, laid back group where I could make a safe, soft landing when I reach Quartzsite, and definitely plan to attend RTR. Head's up, looking for a group that would welcome a woo-woo, slightly introverted, leaning toward ultra-liberal gal.  :)  

The Adirondacks have been beautiful and healing, but there are no big gatherings here on the East Coast and I'm really looking forward to being with some like-minded wanderers!

I'm out of range of internet and cell service most of the time up here in the woods, so until sometime after labor day my responses may be delayed.

Thanks!

Check out Ehrenberg. .. no time limit.

If you get to Quartzsite now, youll probably have to move before the RTR.

During your slow progress south, checkout the sections of Route 66 that still survive.

slow2day said:
During your slow progress south, checkout the sections of Route 66 that still survive.

I will be in the Flagstaff area after September 1, I'm female, and I plan to stay in the area for about a month.  PM me if you want to meet up.

You might want to travel slow.  This Saturday the prediction is 111 for Quartzsite AZ,

Look for the strange roadside attractions.  Today I saw a goat weathervane  :huh:

Attachments

• goat.jpg
    goat.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 25
I saw one today too! It was on top of a church and huge.

65b9f45c1303f6eca991063023defa02.jpg

CoachOnTheRoad said:
I'm a newbie, just started out this summer and spent June - current camping in the Adirondacks out of my converted mini-van. I think I'm ready for more! Getting the routine down and feeling more confident and having more fun as the weeks go by. 

I'm planning to head West from NY State late Sept, early October, and making Quartzsite my goal for the winter. Going to take my time getting there, but leaving in time to stay with semi-warm weather.

Would welcome any route advice, not planning on going off into the wilderness on my way out there.

I'd like to find a friendly, laid back group where I could make a safe, soft landing when I reach Quartzsite, and definitely plan to attend RTR. Head's up, looking for a group that would welcome a woo-woo, slightly introverted, leaning toward ultra-liberal gal.  :)  

The Adirondacks have been beautiful and healing, but there are no big gatherings here on the East Coast and I'm really looking forward to being with some like-minded wanderers!

I'm out of range of internet and cell service most of the time up here in the woods, so until sometime after labor day my responses may be delayed.

Thanks!

Iam a newbie too, but coming from the Oregon side of the country.  Its my plan to be at the RTR in Quartzsite AZ this winter.  Hopefully I will see you there.  Newdaydue, is not only my stage name? its a new chapter in my life.  Can relate.  See you there.  Keep touch.  Hugs

Good luck on your adventure. I hope you find Quartzsite to be as amazing as I did last year. The sheer number of people and rigs show the diversity of our lifestyle. Many are willing to show off those rigs, explain why they did what they did and even teach others how making it a special gathering. I learned a lot last year, even better I made long term friends.

Interstate 20 (starts at Birmingham AL) is better than 10 farther south (less traffic). 20 eventually connects with 10.

For your trip, download Yelp -- great for just about anything: mechanic, food, etc.

Annual gem and mineral show and more in Quartzsite. For your travels, roadside attractions might interest you along the way: http://www.roadsideamerica.com

If you come towards Tucson AZ, SE of Tucson is Kartchner Caverns (a once must see)...it's not too far south of 10 on 90 (south of Benson). https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/

This one is on my bucket list, Chiricahua National Monument (you will pass this one before the Kartchner Caverns, very south of 10): https://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm

Plan to buy major food in Phoenix or surrounding metro area for *variety.* Your end point, Quartszite, is somewhat limited.

Wish I was tagg'n along.  :) I know arizona quite well being here for 34 years. You're welcome to PM me.

jimindenver said:
Good luck on your adventure. I hope you find Quartzsite to be as amazing as I did last year. The sheer number of people and rigs show the diversity of our lifestyle. Many are willing to show off those rigs, explain why they did what they did and even teach others how making it a special gathering. I learned a lot last year, even better I made long term friends.

To be  fair,  Jim is ONE of those people willing to share. He has helped many people,  I'm one of them.

Pat

Newdaydue said:
Iam a newbie too, but coming from the Oregon side of the country.  Its my plan to be at the RTR in Quartzsite AZ this winter.  Hopefully I will see you there.  Newdaydue, is not only my stage name? its a new chapter in my life.  Can relate.  See you there.  Keep touch.  Hugs

Sweet! Will see you there! Can definitely relate to the new chapter in life! Scary and exhilarating at the same time!

I'm from Oregon also. Roseburg area. NOT sure when I will be heading south this year, and I hope us Pacific Northwest folks don't have to dash through storms like last year. After the RTR, some of us move about 11 miles west to Erhenburg to enjoy the dessert. This is not in a park, just in a great desert area with every thing a nomad needs (water, good groceries, garbage/dumpsite, etc) within 2-7 miles, and free sunrises and sunsets. I stayed until March last year and met wonderful people!
Lots of free boondocking in the west. Happy Trails...

pnolans said:
To be  fair,  Jim is ONE of those people willing to share. He has helped many people,  I'm one of them.

Pat

:p You left out the part where Max let's Jim be in his U T vid's.   I agree with the rest too!  :D

Jewellann

Welcome, Coach,
Oh you will have so much "newness" to experience when you hit the "real west" (to me that is the CO down to NM "line." So much is breathtaking even from the interstate. Be aware of night time temps if you are at or going through high elevations, but I'd recommend staying around I-40 or north of there if you can for a while. The idea to follow old Route 66 is a pretty good one.

You wrote:
I'd like to find a friendly, laid back group where I could make a safe, soft landing when I reach Quartzsite, and definitely plan to attend RTR. Head's up, looking for a group that would welcome a woo-woo, slightly introverted, leaning toward ultra-liberal gal. Smile

I wanted to mention there is a Facebook group called "Liberal RVers" ... some there announce where they are or where they are going to be so they can meet up with others. It is a closed group but you can ask to join. The simply review your Facebook page to make sure you are not a troll type trying to get in to argue.

Facebook groups cannot begin to replace all the great advice and info here. Folks here will help you get answers no matter what your political stance (and talking politics is forbidden here so it is not an issue).

WriterMs said:
I wanted to mention there is a Facebook group called "Liberal RVers"  ... some there announce where they are or where they are going to be so they can meet up with others. It is a closed group but you can ask to join. The simply review your Facebook page to make sure you are not a troll type trying to get in to argue.

Facebook groups cannot begin to replace all the great advice and info here. Folks here will help you get answers no matter what your political stance (and talking politics is forbidden here so it is not an issue).

Coach, you'll definitely find woo-woos, introverts, and liberals at the RTR. Yes, politics are not discussed. As WriterMs says,, join Liberal RVers on FB. All the people at the RTR are nice and friendly.

CoachOnTheRoad said:
I'm planning to head West from NY State late Sept, early October,

CoachOnTheRoad,

I'm having a small gathering in the Catskills week of Columbus Day Thursday thru Sunday. I call it NEVR (North East Vandweller Rendezvous) had one in May and doing it again. NEVR again! LOL

PM me if interested

vtwinkicker said:
CoachOnTheRoad,

I'm having a small gathering in the Catskills week of Columbus Day Thursday thru Sunday. I call it NEVR (North East Vandweller Rendezvous) had one in May and doing it again. NEVR again! LOL

PM me if interested

Is catskill the one by hudson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachOnTheRoad said:

Thanks!

Hi coachontheroad
I am not far from you and just starting out myself. If you would like to talk I am here. Also trying to go to the rtr this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some entertainment on your trip west there's the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, October 7-15. You may be, though you did say you're a newbie, aware of Allstays Pro, Campendium, freecampsites.net, forestcamping.com, recreation.gov, & rv-camping.org to assist you in your travels, each a very good source of information. Happy Trails!