You can now buy shipping Container 'Tiny Homes' On Amazon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
"[font=Poppins, sans-serif]Shipping containers are finding new life in all sorts of projects outside of simple storage, for instance in [/font][font=Poppins, sans-serif]urban farming[/font][font=Poppins, sans-serif]. Simple, built to human proportions and with a lot of structural integrity, a shipping container is capable of far more than just [/font][font=Poppins, sans-serif]containing[/font][font=Poppins, sans-serif]. A company called MODS international has created a livable unit inside a shipping container that anyone can simply order on Amazon..."[/font]

http://www.greenmatters.com/living/...book&kwp_0=679894&kwp_4=2411011&kwp_1=1018116

Starting at just over $23,000.00, it seems
https://www.amazon.com/MODS-20-Foot...-4&keywords=mods+tiny+home+shipping+container

Cool business plan. Kinda pricey but for those that can afford it then great. Having been a truck driver for quite a few years my only reservation about using a shipping container is... what has been shipped in that container before it becomes your home? Lots of toxic stuff gets shipped in these sealed containers. They have a wood floor so anything that might get spilled will get absorbed into the floor. A reputable shipping container home builder would completely remove the old wood floor and install a brand new one. So, know your builder.

I'd love to watch the FedEx delivery for that.......

EDIT: Damn, there goes my fun:

"Delivery is to location only. Exact placement will need to be provided by a third party."

You can buy what are called 'one trip' or 'one way' or 'one time use' shipping containers.

They were used one time, usually 'high dollar' cargo like TV's or laptops from China or the Asian, or Pacific Rim, for something that ships clean, and then they are sold as essentially brand new.

Container floors are treated with some nasty sh!t to kill bugs (can't risk spreading little critters around the world).
STEP 1---Either replace or seal with epoxy paint.
STEP 2---Make sure STEP 1 was done properly.   :rolleyes:

"Hello? Is this Amazon Customer service?....um...hi....yeah I need to return something I bought a week ago....yeah....yep...yeah it's making me sneeze...I think I'm allergic to something in it....

Yeah..a week ago....

No I paid shipping....oh you pay return shipping? Ok cool....

Yeah it's here in Guatemala....

Oh?...yeah ok...lets see...the order number is 12345-09876....

Hold? Ok...yes, I'll hold. No problem.

(holding)

(holding)

(still holding...)

Yes! it's a container home!

CLICK.

Hello? Hello? Are you still there? Hello?"