• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB E-series raised top.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waraddar

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm looking for a fiberglass shell top for an e-150 wagon. I'm aware of Fiberine tops, but they are more expensive than the van was. Discount tops no longer sell them due to the "extreme price increase" from Fiberine.

I've searched west coast salvage yards and craigslist coast to coast for hours and hours, and more hours.

Is there some secret manufacturer I've not been able to find in the US? A used top yard utopia where all the happy fiberglass shells pine for my attention and one lucky shell comes home to live with me?? 

I think not, so I'm asking here. 

I spent some time going through forum threads, but most of the links I found were dead/old.

Can it really be this impossible?  :huh:

Thanks in advance!

2004 E-150

I would think real hard about putting a full size top on a 1/2 ton van. how much payload do you have to work with? highdesertranger

HighDesertStranger - Thanks.

Can you help with the original question though?

"Can you help with the original question though? "

sorry but no, not until I have more information. please answer my question. you are asking us to help you build a potentially unsafe vehicle, I, myself won't help you do it.

I feel once you add a high top and do a build out you will be way overweight, not a little but a lot overweight. I am not trying to be a dick but we need more info. like what is the overall plan, what do you plan to do with this van, do you plan on living in it, are you planning on boondocking, how much gear do you carry, how much food and water, is this a long box, what tires do you run, what's the weight rating of the tires?

so lets do some serious planning I would be more than willing to help with that.

highdesertranger

just buy a shuttle bus with a ford chassis. cheap and reliable (at least my v10 is). i bought an old church bus with only 70k miles for only $2700. has high top AND wide body.

waraddar said:
HighDesertStranger - Thanks.

Can you help with the original question though?

Ok, then don't, I wasn't asking for your opinion or expertise. It's a basic question, are you aware of a dealer or not. JFC.

I always liked the upside down jon boat that created a watertight seal while mounted on the roof with removable latches. My first wife used to work in a fiberglass place that made toppers and boats but the company converted to making caskets as it was more profitable, which I believe many of them did.

go to the cheap RV living youtube channel and look for the video that Bob Wells made about the high top he put onto his new van. He got it in the south east someplace I think. It was a more affordable place to buy it than on the West Coast. The top was OK but the install was poorly done without using and sealant tape or butyl rubber tape. But knowing that is needed in advance if you have them install it you can make sure it gets done right. Of course after that video came out maybe that company did decide they need to get their installations improved.

Thank you so much Maki2! Sadly, it looks like a place I'd avoid, but I appreciate it!

With all the taller new vans available I doubt there is much of a market for aftermarket fiberglass top conversions as most probably wait and buy a new one in metal the height they want. I would check junkyards to see if any were there and see if they had a manufacturer name and try to contact them or maybe even contact a well known body shop about doing a swap if they can insure they can keep the van structurally as good as it was from the factory.

Go to car-part.com, look up any part (like a fender/hood/door, etc), then look for pictures of the van. Call the junkyard and ask how much for the roof.

I paid $300 for mine including the rear doors.

qfQvlrMh.jpg

gcAlXNgh.jpg

770CM98h.jpg

All you need to attach it to the roof is 3M 5200 fast cure. Not one screw is needed.

I just want to add that I once had a Dodge B-150 Camper van with full size 24" top on it and I tell you right now that the addition of that top was no factor. The van handled and drove well. Of course with the additional hight strong winds were a concern. Other than that it was awesome to have that additional room and storage space.

As the OP mention the cost is tough to bear on a new one, but if I could acquire and fit one to my Ford E-150 I would do it in a heart beat.

Just my .02 worth.

Mike R

waraddar said:
Thank you so much Maki2! Sadly, it looks like a place I'd avoid, but I appreciate it!
Nothing wrong with the fiberglass top, it was the installation that was the issue. I would solve that issue by buying the tape myself and coordinating that I come on site and put it up there then supervise the positioning of the top to the van. I can be a real "persuasive" customer when it comes to getting stuff done the right way. I am never afraid to ask but at the same time I am also willing to make it work for them to do a little bit beyond what they normally offer. That is called achieving a compromise for a win/win. They get the order, I get what I need without putting it all on their head.