Workamper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TALLMAN

Reaction score
Does any one here belong to Workamper, have you ever found jobs thru the site. ? How about work for people near 70 as care taker or camp ground hosts.

Please do a search for "workamper" several threads on this.

I work in home health as a live-in with people who have disabilities and with the elderly. Most states require a background check $$$ and a few safety classes. Some people are just hard to get along with and some are easier. or to say not as hard. It takes a special person to do this, MOST cannot. IF you yell or hit them you could be charged with "Abuse" and you cannot leave without a replacement or a long notice. You have to be VERY tolerant. However, the money in the bank at the end of the month is better than most jobs because of no rent and no travel to and from work. but you work weekends and nights most often to make the best money.

Best, James AKA Lynx

Margie was a caregiver for several years, now retired. She had some live in situations, but many were simply shift type jobs daily.
She was lucky to have worked with some really nice people. There were times the person would pass on and usually it took a toll on her. It was good pay and she was home most nights, but we're glad she's out of it now.

My wife and I were interviewed and featured in their magazine two summers ago in Yellowstone. Our summer jobs are listed there (Delaware North Corporation). It is a great tool for looking for jobs.

Was your question about 70 yo's regarding job opportunities for that age group or are you wanting to provide care for folks of that age?

I cannot speak to caring for folks of that age but I can say that a LOT of the people working seasonal in the national parks are in that age group. I am 60. This summer will be our third season. We have a number of co-workers in their upper 70's to 80 ish.

We also volunteer for Texas Parks and Wildlife in the winter. Our positions there are the result of just going to the office of the park and talking about possibilities. Again, many of the volunteers we have met are in their 60's to 70's.

There is a lot of work available for folks of our age. I think Workcamper news provides a fine service for finding jobs. Check around in RV parks. There are generally issues floating around that you can look at before plunking down the $$$ for a subscription.

Most workcamper jobs do not pay execpt for a place to stay for 20 hrs a week work. IF you need cash you may want to do free workcamping and then look for the paying jobs.

Live-in jobs - ask people you know and try to go to work with them for a few days.

Best.

I have a daughter that works in home health, doubt if I am cut out for that. I volunteered couple months a year at YMCA of the Rockies, really enjoyed it, you can check it out on line if interested. You have every thing there including horseback riding, 50 meter indoor pool and the entrance to the Rocky Mountains entrance 2 miles away.

How much chance of pulling into a campsite and getting part time work in lieu of rent for couple weeks to a month. Some I have stayed at seem short handed.

One camp we paid for a night and stayed over a week in exchange for a couple hours a day help around the place. Really nice part was their hot springs that we used several times daily. The people were very nice and even invited us to dinner a few times.

The part time hosting gig we have now was in a local shopper paper. We called and had a place waiting for us when we pulled into Quartzsite. Nine days a month on duty and its easy. Got free laundry machines in the deal, so that's some extra fun money in our pocket too.

There's several parks still looking for part timers for the season around Q.

TALLMAN said:
Does any one here belong to Workamper, have you ever found jobs thru the site. ? How about work for people near 70 as care taker or camp ground hosts.
I belong to Workamper and did find a job through their site. However, you can find very similar job postings here for free, no membership fees required: http://www.workampingjobs.com/

My Workamping job was at Amazon.com with my RV site paid by Amazon plus all hours worked at the warehouse paid, but this is a very physically demanding job.

From what I've seen, some camp host jobs are paid with a free site and some are 20 hours per week for site, then any additional hours you work are paid at $9-11 an hour. It all depends on the employer. Many at the Workamper forum complain how compensation has gotten to be less and less, as more people get into this lifestyle and the employers have more people to pick and choose from.