Women Only Women Only: One woman's account of living on the streets of San Francisco in her camper-truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought some of you might find this article about a female writer interesting. She didn't move into her truck camper by choice. It was 2003...

https://www.sfgate.com/living/article/Mobile-homeless-One-woman-s-account-of-living-2667192.php

Thanks for the link. It has me feeling some kind of way. On the one hand people need help but on the other hand, if you give people to much help, some forget how to help themselves.

She was a college educated woman who stayed in her vehicle for years and just didn't work. She was capable of working, she just didn't work. I was thinking maybe she was suffering from undiagnosed depression but she was still writing about her life, moving her vehicle, talking with friends, etc, so she seemed ok and she never states she's depressed so I can't diagnose her with that.

Basically, she found a way to live on $396 a month, combined with food stamps, so that's what she did. And that's a stance society can't afford to foster. I hope she's doing better for herself.

She was a college educated woman who stayed in her vehicle for years and just didn't work. She was capable of working, she just didn't work. I was thinking maybe she was suffering from undiagnosed depression but she was still writing about her life, moving her vehicle, talking with friends, etc, so she seemed ok and she never states she's depressed so I can't diagnose her with that.

Basically, she found a way to live on $396 a month, combined with food stamps, so that's what she did. And that's a stance society can't afford to foster. I hope she's doing better for herself.
The article begins by explaining that she lost her job, then her landlord decided he wanted to move into her unit, then she was diagnosed with Graves disease. Followed by surgery for a "massive fibroid tumor."

So she was jobless and homeless with medical conditions. I assume she was depressed. Her truck kept breaking down and her camper was falling apart. At one point she wrote that she was out of gas, water and electricity.

She said she knew the only thing that could save her was... her. First she got a temporary job. Then a full-time job.

It's helpful that she documented her time being forced to live the way she did, because it allowed others to learn and maybe have empathy. That can lead to changes in laws. It must have been incredibly difficult.

Without a three month reserve to cover expenses in case of emergencies, we could all end up as she did. Most Americans don't have that much banked. From CNBC:

Thanks for the link. It has me feeling some kind of way. On the one hand people need help but on the other hand, if you give people to much help, some forget how to help themselves.

I find it, um, interesting that you totally ignored all her real medical problems.

Personally, I think society can - and should - foster the idea of minimalism as a lifestyle. I admire her ability to do it.

Last edited:
I find it, um, interesting that you totally ignored all her real medical problems.

Personally, I think society can - and should - foster the idea of minimalism as a lifestyle. I admire her ability to do it.
I didn't ignore them. She didn't have medical problems for years. She had Graves disease and then she got it under control with meds. She didn't work afterwards. And then she had fibroids and had surgery for it and then she was fine again. Even with both problems, she could have worked but she definitely could have worked after they were managed

I think people should live any way they choose as long as they're not hurting anyone.