Women Only: Nomadic Entrepreneuring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane E

Reaction score
Thanks to cheaprvliving.com and all Bob's youtubes and especially the courageous indie women in those vids, I've started steps to modify my impossible plans to make supplemental income to poverty of social security income possible! I expect to be on the road sooner because I will start modifying my little nissan cube -- I never would have considered without watching all of you. I want to start sales to niche market of Resort, Campgrounds and Park giftshops. I have already developed prototypes for ecofriendly camping (based on tourist demographics) but suddenly knowing all you are out there -- what to know what kinds of useful and ephemeral souvenirs or van/rv travelers would be interested in. OR what kinds of natural fiber specialty items you would like to find. Examples: wool pet rugs/beds are something I've had to handmake. Cotton dishtowels and napkins I've also had to make for myself. Currently working on natural fiber insulated window coverings for my lil cube.  Any suggestions about nomadic entrepreneuring and items nomadic women want are appreciated.

Thinking about trinkets etc, I am reminded of the incredible amount of stuff one encounters along the roadsides in Arizona from Native Americans. In some places, every pullout along the road is lined with kiosks. I don't own any of it. One of the issues when living very small is that there is only so much space available. My policy is, if I add something, that means something else has to go. Anything I bring into the van has to be absolutely utilitarian. So, what kind of things can you make that serve a very important purpose (ideally multipurpose) AND are aesthetically pleasing? What are things van dwellers use every day?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response. Exactly my challenge as a maker! Multipurpose and Repurpose as well as longlasting (not disposable). So many of us raised and embedded in plastics overconsumption, it's hard to unlearn and detox. Thank you for the broad suggestion: aesthetically pleasing utilitarian multipurpose. I will add to my list of qualities including: Small, lightweight, stuffable, and collapsible!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Jane E! Hope you get some good suggestions!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

LathrenJames said:
Hi, Jane. I just wanted to wish you success. Peace
Thank you. Still looking thru all the threads. Is there a "wannabees"  category for those of us in the planning and preparing stages, undoing and redoing our lives? This seems to create many different kinds of questions? Example: If I sell my property to live nomadic, how do I handle capital gains in the best way? For now, I'm just using the search tool. I expect to be at least parttimer traveling average of 10 days per month by next year (sales for my new business). I need to keep my Maker Shop and Garden until I can figure out how to balance making and sales at resorts, festivals and trade shows. Any suggestions appreciated.

I would think useful things would be best, like bookmarks, decorative hooks, magnets, small storage containers for little things, maybe fancy bungee cords. It's not wise to have things in a van that aren't useful.

Probably need a decent CPA or tax person to look at Capital Gains issues, state income taxes etc.

I take a hunker down mentality for any mones above monthly income from SS, pension. That money in an IRA or from a house sale or ?? is all I have for the rest of my life for serious emergencies, the rest home any huge “oh shit”. Wouldn’t plan to spend it for zip. One business or vehicle, or property purchase mistake and I’d be done and living under a bridge; not even able to make it to BLM lands.
I’m seeing IMO a surprising number of women go bankrupt after a divorce settlement, spouse death, inheritance from parents, cashing in IRA. Someone sells them some investment or business idea that sounds fun or interesting—- following your passion thing and all ends up being lost.

It is much much easier to save a $100 a month than to make $100 of real money.

Latest posts