Windows, yea or nea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linedog

Reaction score
Looking at GMC Savana cargo, have my choice of side and back windows. Or with no windows behind the driver/passenger. Most van dwellers cover them over anyhow, I might live to open then for air. Any thoughts?

Linedog said:
Looking at GMC Savana cargo, have my choice of side and back windows. Or with no windows behind the driver/passenger. Most van dwellers cover them over anyhow, I might live to open then for air. Any thoughts?

I love my windows but I have a passenger van, ford e150.  There are too many windows for energy efficiency. If I had a cargo van I’d get some windows. I have to have natural light and be able to see outside....for my sanity.

Linedog said:

I drive a conversion van and I love my windows.  I love being able to see the landscape around me, I love the light and the ventalation windows provide.  I want to live in nature not in an a starfoam ice chest.  Now I am new to living in a van.  After I live in my van for a few more months I may be singing a different tune. Many people who have been living in their vans  a lot longer that I have get along fine w  windows in the doors only or no windows at all.  
Just remember you don't have to get it right the first time.  Get started and see what fits you.

I have no windows in my GMC Savana. Doesn't bother me. If I want an outside view, I go outside.

It has no effect on my insulation, since I have no insulation.

And I don't feel cooped up inside since I spend nearly all my time outside the van anyway, entering only to cook dinner, read an ebook, and sleep at night.

Linedog said:

When I'm camped, I like not having any windows except up front. When I'm driving, I hate it.

If I want some sunshine I'll open the doors and/or step outside. 

Still living in a house for now; I hardly ever open the window shades anyway.

I bought a new '77 Dodge shorty van way back then.  It had windows in the side doors (fixed) and windows in the back that swung open from the bottom (hinged on top).  The windows in the side door made it easier as I could turn my head and look out for a vehicle that may be in my blind spot when driving and also for those intersections that are not square.  I had little side mirrors (5x7) with those spot mirrors on them.  Those helped most of the time.  It was also nice to sit and see out when the weather was bad.  During nice weather both doors were usually open except when sleeping.  The back windows were nice when in bed (or sitting near the side doors) as the swing out windows allowed for ventilation when the weather was bad and when sleeping while providing a view.  Pull the curtains for privacy or now, stuff reflectix in them.  Still had plenty of wall space that way.  I thought it was the best of both worlds.  Kinda wish I had kept it.  One of a few regrets.  It had over 250K miles on it when I sold it and fixed just the way I liked it.  Still looked brand new and not a speck of rust.

My Roadtrek has a window in the side door too (and rear).  Sure makes driving easier and I can see out before opening the door.  I now stuff reflectix in them at night.

YMMV

If/when I get a van, I plan to have windows all around. I love having windows all around in my Prius. I figure I can put curtains up for privacy, and Reflectix to keep more heat in, or the sun's heat out. I could even cut blue/pink foam board to size for real insulation. I really love my screened windows and would hope to duplicate that on a van. It keeps the bugs out, yet allows fresh air inside. I figure it's easier to cover and insulate windows if I ever decided I didn't want them, than to create windows once I had a van without them.

In the past, the only van I ever had was an '04 passenger Sprinter van and it had windows all around, which I loved. I would get another Sprinter in a heartbeat if they weren't so expensive to maintain and prone to rust. Loved driving it.

Suanne ... but happy in the Prius for now

Ok now I’m leaning towards getting the windows. I guess I can always cover them if they bother me. Better to have then and not need them I guess.

When I had a cargo van with no windows, I added the RV style windows with the small side slider window section in the bottom. I loved them.

The cargo van I have now has side and rear windows but they don't open. If I could switch them out affordably I would do it in a heartbeat. If I didn't have those windows I would be installing the RV style windows again in this van.

I also have windows in the upper level in the fiberglass roof that came with the van. I won't ever be without them again...they're my favorite windows.

While I live mostly outdoors there are still days when it's cold/rainy/miserable that I end up indoors all day. Not being able to see out would be a definite bummer.

Like Suanne said, windows can be covered with curtains, reflectix when needed etc. but without windows there's not much you can do to improve the view.

Because I love sitting in my van on a cold rainy or windy day and seeing outside, I went to the trouble making some nice window coverings. I cut reflectix to fit each window then I covered the inside with felt and lined all the edges with duct tape they fit right in. I also made a curtain that goes in between the cab and the back for better Insulation at night.
I have to be able to see outside, first thing I do in the morning in my apartment is open all the blinds. I love the Pacific Northwest and camping on the coast. If I didn't have any windows and the weather was bad that would be horrible! So what do you prefer living in a cave or or more of an open area.

Attachments

• 20171205_155530-1008x756.jpg
    20171205_155530-1008x756.jpg
    210.1 KB
I also vote for having windows.  

Even though 99.999% of the time my tinted windows are covered with Reflectix, sometimes it's nice to remove it and let the sunlight in.  
It's also nice, when my surroundings are pretty or scenic, to be able to see out.  

Other times I like knowing nobody can see me inside the van.  This is especially useful when I'm using the toilet.   :p

if you want stealth then you need no windows, but if your going to campgrounds the majority of time maybe windows.

Windows equal heat, all the heat comes in through the windows. 
My astrovan does have side and rear windows but they are all heavily insulated, about 2 inches of foam each.

I actually placed a clear plastic cover on one of my roof vents to let light in, but that equals heat and I realized I didnt really liked sunlight that much, my LED lighting is sufficient. So roof vent is now covered over with foam insulation.

My recommendation is no windows, if you need to look at he scenery just sit in the front but you going to realize sun equals heat. If you going to live in your van, keeping the heat out is number one priority.

I like my window configuration. I have windows in the side and back doors. It lets enough light in and ability to see outside that it's very comfortable. I also like being able to use the rearview mirror and see out the side doors when driving. My old van had lots of windows and I ended up having most of them blocked out anyway.

it's easier to cover a window you don't want than it is to open a window you don't have

i like views.  i'd drive a fishbowl if i could, because i want to see what's out there.
i got lucky when i stumbled on my Transit 250 with sliders and windows on both sides, and window in the rear doors.  it's perfect for me.

Love our Sprinter windows! It’s nice to keep the Reflectix on the sunny side of the van (and on all windows at night), but have the other side open for the view.

Our windows have limo tint, so it is pretty private.

On the surface, the answer is clear. ;).
But in the long run, other factors may have more weight. Or not, depends on you.

First one is priorities and lifestyle. What aspects are important to you? Where are you parked overnight? Personal choices? 
If you spend allot of time in your van, or in nature, of course windows. If you're an urban dweller, maybe stealth is more important. If you're like me and like it dark to sleep, the compromise might be worth no windows. If you're always outside of your van, need insulation from hot or cold, maybe windows not that big a benefit. Or require only a few. 
Assess what you will be doing, your past experience with windows and decide from there.

I’ll go with the pop out windows in the side and rear doors. Getting them tinted and make curtains for them. I’ll need privacy a few times, sleeping, doing my business and reading. But I think I would like to have the option definitely.

eye didn't see any mention of some of the window films available so i'll share what my wife and i decided to do on van build 2 (our 2017 PM still at conversion shop). 

We wanted the side cargo door window for side blind spot coverage mainly, and also the idea it would be a nice view from the two front swiveled seats while in camp, BUT we also wanted privacy. I searched online and asked a local window tinting outfit (that i'd had do tinting on Van 1) if they could install the white-perforated vinyl on the slider and rear windows...it was a special order vinyl/wrap but only a couple day wait. They installed it and you can not make out any defined shapes inside even with the LED lights on. Here is a pic of our van before it went into the conversion shop (should be out in a month or so at this point)...

attachment.php

Anyone interested in RV style windows, inexpensively, should contact either Bontrager’s Surplus or Johnson Supply in White Pigeon, Mi. They both have websites. They have thousands in stock. I got all the windows for my Peterbilt conversion from these folks and none cost over $35.

I have no business interest in either one of these places. They are both a great resource car for anything RV related.

I like having windows but it is a trade off. They do let in a lot more heat and or cold. But for me the trade off is worth it. Lots of times camping I like to pull my window covers off and let in the natural light. Sometimes my view is too good to pass up. Most of the time I do leave them covered for privacy and stealth.

It really comes down to choice and compromise. I was willing to compromise because I like the option to see out. For others it just isn't as important. I would go with what feels right to you. As long as you know what the compromise is you won't have any regrets.