Window treatments in RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyh

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this and ya'll will probably get sick of my questions. The blinds are going to need replacing in this RV, I can't tell if the blinds in it came with it or not but anyway, I'm trying to figure out if blinds from like WalMart will work. Over the top of the windows are those I guess wooden like valances covered with fabric to match the love seat, do ya know if those can be taken down and curtains be put up and it look right and work? The curtains would be more privacy and they could be taken down and washed. Thanks everyone!

yes you can take the valences down. I did in the last three rvs I've owned. Just remove the brackets and in some cases the rubber trim strip. I put up easy (I chose gold, they have white) Café rods and hung curtains. I sewed my own curtains but there is an easier option if you don't sew. I recommend the insulated curtains at Walmart, you can get a 84" panel for about $12. There is a pocket at the top and a large hem at the bottom. Cut in the middle to the length you need and slide rods into the top pocket and the hem pocket .You get two curtains for the price of one. Use hem tape and an iron to finish the bottoms. I even sewed a pillow out of the center piece. I love seeing questions about decorating. As soon as I get a camper just the way I want it, I sell it and get another project. It's become a running joke with my family.

I can sew enough to make curtains. But I know when I tell my husband to take down those valances hes gonna have a stroke thinking I'm crazy and going to ruin the RV. LOL So I want to make sure it can be done. I need to make a cover for a chair that's in there but I'm not sure I can handle that yet. I would love to see pics of how everyone did their curtains and things so I can get ideas.

My RV had day/night shades and the strings began breaking. Rather than replace them with the same, I installed some cordless aluminum mini blinds that don't rattle or fall down--they stay just where you place them. They were easy to install and I installed them inside of the oak valances. I ordered them from Blinds Chalet. Here is a picture.
Personally, I prefer blinds to curtains but I should think cafe curtains would be the easiest to install.

Mockturtle, your window job looks very nice.

Kelly, we have a set-up like yours with the valance, mini blinds, and curtains. The curtains are on standard cafe rods that lift off their brackets. Once those are down, there are brackets that hold the blinds and the front cap opens so they slide toward you to remove them. longer ones will have a bracket in the middle that you sorta roll the head piece out of. At this point you will probably see "L" brackets screwed upward into the valance...remove the screws and the valance slides toward you.
Now everything is clear so you can get to any hardware you might need to change.
If you're keeping the valances just reverse the process. Easy peezy.

Thanks. I'm gonna do away with those wooden valance things. This RV will probably end up with DH and I fighting. LOL He wants to check with friends about doing repairs and we always end up with these folks taking a year to do anything. Plus he needs a 3/4 ton truck to pull it so a friend has a truck and a new motor that has to be put in for $2500 but then DH wants to paint it. So like I said a year from now we will get to go camping. I'm not a patient person. He doesn't get excited about anything. He can put the motor in but that always means 50 things go wrong or the truck will get done fast and not the camper then I will be upset! LOL

Kelly, this little job is so easy you could do it yourself and skip the runaround. Grab a screwdriver and go after it. Your rig will have a new feature before anyone knows what happened.
We kept the valances for the original look since the matching upholstery is in nice condition. I put throw covers on chairs and couch to keep them that way longer.

Good luck with yours an hope you're camping in it soon.

Got DH and DGS to take the blinds and the wooden valance things down. Its gonna make such a big improvement to add new blinds and curtains when the time comes. Today I ordered one of those rounded shower curtain rods from Camping World and jack things to put under our slide out for extra support. I could spend a fortune on that site. LOL Still trying to find an individual to replace the part of floor and lay flooring but so far a few folks say they will but that's it. I'm going to ask someone at church tomorrow and if he can't do it or is too high I will call the RV place to just get an estimate.

kellyh said:
I can sew enough to make curtains. But I know when I tell my husband to take down those valances hes gonna have a stroke thinking I'm crazy and going to ruin the RV. LOL So I want to make sure it can be done. I need to make a cover for a chair that's in there but I'm not sure I can handle that yet. I would love to see pics of how everyone did their curtains and things so I can get ideas.

Greetings!

Keep the valances, and run spring rods across them to hang your curtains. Valances are designed to help with your heating and cooling efforts.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

If RV places there are anything like other places you'll pay thru the nose to have floor work done. Find a handy guy.

As mentioned above, the valances are functional.

Yeah, camping world has all kinds of junk to spend money on. You'll end up tossing half of it aside over time.
Slide jacks?? Never saw anyone use those.

kellyh said:
Got DH and DGS to take the blinds and the wooden valance things down. Its gonna make such a big improvement to add new blinds and curtains when the time comes. Today I ordered one of those rounded shower curtain rods from Camping World and jack things to put under our slide out for extra support. I could spend a fortune on that site. LOL Still trying to find an individual to replace the part of floor and lay flooring but so far a few folks say they will but that's it. I'm going to ask someone at church tomorrow and if he can't do it or is too high I will call the RV place to just get an estimate.