Will we be warm enough???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattdid

Reaction score
We are renting a Ford Transit the first and second week of April staying in NV, Grand canyon Mather campground, and Utah location . We are flying one checked bag and one carryon each.

It comes with sheets and a comforter can run heater if van is running but wouldn't want to do that in the campground during the night, Question is should we bring our 30* mummy bags, or would a couple of fleece blankets be warm enough (so much more comfortable sleeping in sheets?)

yup, bring warm stuff like mentioned. not used, then great, but if ya need them you have them and I would always rather have than have not :) Sounds like a very fun trip to take!! Hope you guys have a great time!!

Definitely bring them, I am enjoying my first trip now. And I have discovered the weather is already changing and it’s cold in the mornings. Yesterday I went to Walmart and purchased a couple of sweatshirts and sweatpants to add to my choice of clothing. I have also learned that if I start the van and warm my space up then get under the covers I sleep better. My next plan is to find a Wave 3 heater for when it gets colder.

I would suggest you purchase the bags (and maybe pillows) when you arrive, this saves you having to check them and pay for the privilege!

First option is to hit a Cabellas, Gander Mountain, or similar. Or you might be able to find what you need at a Walmart, Sams, or Costco.

At the same places you will find the sleeping bags, you can buy a small Coleman or Little Buddy propane heater, the kind that uses the green 1# LP bottles. Buy a few of the LP bottles.

This heater will be for the REALLY cold nights, below freezing, when you need the interior warmed up before you go to bed. Be 100% sure you do not fall asleep with the heater running.

When your adventure is concluded (and before you head back to the airport) you can donate the things you bought to a Goodwill or Salvation army store, or give the stuff away to a local Boy Scout Troop. They will thank you for it.

Last edited:
I would suggest you purchase the bags (and maybe pillows) when you arrive, this saves you having to check them and pay for the privilege!

First option is to hit a Cabellas, Gander Mountain, or similar. Or you might be able to find what you need at a Walmart, Sams, or Costco.
Or even Goodwill....

Average low temperature at the Grand Canyon is right around 32F in April. Should be prepared for ~20F anyway. If you are allowed to have fires that will help quite a bit I think. Fire danger is usually higher later in the spring.

Thanks for the advice. I'm petty sure we can cram in our bags to our suitcases or duffels Pillows are included with the rental. We usually backpack in NY (getting to old to sleep on the ground) and wasn't sure how cold the van would get.

We are renting a Ford Transit the first and second week of April staying in NV, Grand canyon Mather campground, and Utah location . We are flying one checked bag and one carryon each.

It comes with sheets and a comforter can run heater if van is running but wouldn't want to do that in the campground during the night, Question is should we bring our 30* mummy bags, or would a couple of fleece blankets be warm enough (so much more comfortable sleeping in sheets?)
You need at least 20 degree sleeping bag as well as fleece blankets. But not to worry, the General Store at the “village market” inside the south rim side of the park sells as well as rents camping gear including sleeping bags and blankets. Plus they sell lots of warm clothing, gloves, hats, rain gear, pots and pans, stove fuel, food, etc.

Silk sleeping bag liners have gotten expensive since the last time I bought one. You could try sewing up the sides of a thin flannel or microfiber twin sheet into a cocoon (from the bottom up halfway so that it's easy to get in and out) and use it to hold in one person's body heat while under the covers. A liner will fit into your luggage better than a sleeping bag. Then buy cheap Wally World sleeping bags (bonus points if they zip together) or an extra comforter. Electric throws and blankets are an option.
And don't forget a scarf or ski hat, gloves and thick socks.

Just smiling at the title

I just went from being so cold at night I needed to use a down sleeping bag to after a couple of hours drive, being so hot at night that I wanted zero blankets when I went to sleep.

That is the advantage to not having to stay in one location. You move when it gets too hot or too cold.