Wikipedia climate data questionable?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a similar value for changes in latitude?
5,000 ft in Arizona is typically warmer than 5,000 ft in Idaho.
I thought I had seen a reference to latitude as well as elevation, on CRVL. I searched, but could not find any reference in the forum or the blog posts to latitude, just the elevation adjustment.

it is supposed to be 3.5° for every 300 miles north assuming the same elevation. both of these are not carved in stone and there are many variables to consider just like with any other weather pattern. wind patterns, inversion layers, storm fronts are just a few that throw those numbers out the window. highdesertranger

here is my weather data regarding summer 2019 in Seattle.

It was predicted to be a cooler than average summer...so far that is true

As far as my take on this summer it is way better than the last two summers where the air quality was quite often very bad due to all the major forest fires not just in Washington State but also in Oregon and in Canada from Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia.

So I am happy to report, given a 3 year period of time, this summer has been a very nice one ....so far. The winner of best out of 3!

highdesertranger said:
it is supposed to be 3.5° for every 300 miles north assuming the same elevation.  both of these are not carved in stone and there are many variables to consider just like with any other weather pattern.  wind patterns,  inversion layers,  storm fronts are just a few that throw those numbers out the window.  highdesertranger

Thanks.
Just a number, that's all. Math is great, but Reality (daily weather) rules.
Not to be used for forecasting specific temps in the future.
General rule of thumb difference between Point A and Point B in a list of 1,000s of Points in a spreadsheet to get a small subset of candidate locations.
Does no good to drive up and/or North to get cool, when the location is experiencing a period of daily thunderstorms.

I'm not a climate scientist and you probably aren't either. But I have heard those scientists say that temperature history in a single location is usually data that is irrelevant to climate change. I can recall ust 30 years ago hearing that even with the most powerful computers of the day coupled with the best meteorologists of the day, predicting weather beyond a couple of days was very hit-and-miss. With more powerful computers came more accurate  predictions - and a firmer belief that climate change is real. The reason climate is so difficult to get a comprehensive understanding of is there are so many natural factors involved. Then, when scientists began to introduce man's contribution to global weather, it became even more complex and difficult to predict. But one thing that has remained agreed upon by legitimate researchers is that simply monitoring temperatures in one location is virtually worthless data in gauging the planet's climatic future.

If science were that easy, we'd all believe the world is flat because we can see it is by looking out our window at the end of the horizon on all sides.

The most helpful and practical information I have found for climate data is Sunset Magazine's Garden Guide--Easy to find online.  The guides for each state (western states only,sorry to say) give you both average highs and lows throughout year round and other pertinent info for anyone, not just gardeners.

RoadStar66 said:
 But one thing that has remained agreed upon by legitimate researchers is that simply monitoring temperatures in one location is virtually worthless data in gauging the planet's climatic future.

This is also compounded by the fact that most people seem to have a naive and incorrect view of what "climate change" and "global warming" actually means. Global weather patterns are not uniform--they vary widely depending on things like altitude, humidity, air flow patterns, and latitude. So when predictions say, for instance, "an average ten degree increase", that does NOT, repeat NOT, as in N-O-T, mean that every place will increase by ten degrees. Some areas will go up, some areas will go DOWN, but the OVERALL AVERAGE will increase. Many people have trouble grasping that concept.

One area that will see its temp go DOWN, drastically, as a result of global warming, is Europe. Right now, the thermohaline cycle delivers warm water to the coast of Europe, which helps moderate the temperature. As sea waters warm, though, the thermohaline cycle will weaken and then shut down. With warm water no longer circulating, Europe's climate will cool down, becoming akin to areas like Labrador (which is at the same latitude).

So "global warming" does NOT mean "everyone gets hotter".

lenny flank said:
So "global warming" does NOT mean "everyone gets hotter".

Yup. And, relative to this discussion, what it does mean is that, until we reach a new "normal", we can no longer rely on past patterns, and weather everywhere is likely to be more chaotic, since more energy is being circulated in the atmosphere. 

Interesting times, interesting times.

there is no "normal" in weather. you can have averages over a set period of time like 10 year average, or 100 year average. but when you start using the word normal to describe the weather you have crossed the line from science to propaganda. highdesertranger

The only normal in most of this lifestyle is change, best be prepared to deal with it.

We all wish that climate change would result in warmer winters, but alas, it is mostly the summers that have been heating up around the globe.

SE Arizona's high temps are strongly related to precipitation. The wetter and cloudier it is, the cooler the daytime highs will be.

I watched one of the youtubers driving from Phoenix to LA a couple of days ago, and it was 113F in Quartzsite and 118F outside of Palm Springs. Some fun.

Our average highs at home have been about 5-6 degrees warmer this summer.Every summer seems a little hotter.That's why we always go north in the camper for the summer.We may have to go to the arctic in a few more years.

"Our average highs at home have been about 5-6 degrees warmer this summer"

wow where is that at. here in So Cal we have been well below average all summer, we have only seen a couple 100° days. the Colorado River Valley has also been below average but there even below average is still hotter than hades.

highdesertranger

Latest posts