Wifi antenna - where to place? On roof or window?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
My current dilemma is wondering where should I place a couple of different wifi antennas that I recently got.&nbsp; I have a C.Crane wifi antenna, and an Alfa wifi antenna.&nbsp; Both these antennas are a good 12+ inches long.&nbsp;These antennas will connect to my Windows laptops via a USB cord.&nbsp; If I simply place the wifi antenna up against the side window, would that work well enough?&nbsp; Or should I really have this placed on the roof of the van?&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there really that much of a noticeable difference in reception strength? &nbsp;<br><br>For those of you who have a wifi antenna placed on top of your roof, what is the best way of doing this?&nbsp; I seem to recall reading somewhere to enclose the antenna inside a PVC pipe for better outdoor protection against the weather. Is this really useful?&nbsp; I'm taking my van to a professional van conversion shop next week, and I'm considering having them do a custom job of installing a wifi antenna somewhere on the roof, and I'm wondering if this is really a good thing or not?&nbsp; <br><br>Thanks,<br>Casey

Hi OpenMinds,<br><br>Sorry, I don't quite remember, I thought I had previously asked which wifi antenna to get.&nbsp; I ended up getting the 2 different versions of the C.Crane antennas, plus 3 different versions of the Alfa wifi antenna and kits (see below).&nbsp; My current question is whether I should bother trying to install any one of these antennas on top of the roof of the van, or simply to attach to the side window.&nbsp; I'm guessing it won't make much difference either way.&nbsp; But I'm wondering if anyone has any&nbsp;strong opinions&nbsp;whether it's much better to mount to the roof top? &nbsp;By the way, anyone know why the Amazon site has so many different versions of the Alfa wifi antenna kit? I literally purchased 3 different&nbsp;versions by Alfa!&nbsp; A waste, I know.<br><br>Thanks!<br>Casey<br><h1 class="parseasinTitle "><span style="font-size: x-small;" id="btAsinTitle">Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna<br><span id="btAsinTitle">2000mW 2W 802.11 G / N High-Gain USB Wireless Long-Rang WiFi Network Adapter With Original Alfa Screw On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna and Suction cup Window Mount dock<br><span id="ctl00_ContentHolder_Bot_19171_ProductBot_lblProductName">C.Crane Super USB WiFi Antenna 3 – High Power Long Range 802.11 B G N Wireless<br>C.Crane Versa WiFi USB Adapter II<br></span></span></span></h1><h1 class="parseasinTitle ">&nbsp;</h1>&nbsp;

I would put it on the roof. &nbsp;I personally use an alpha usb adapter with a cantenna, so more powerful then your setups. &nbsp;I have no trouble getting internet from a starbucks or mcdonalds, but when I am trying to pickup wifi from lets say a supermarket and I can't park real close it is hit and miss. &nbsp;I mean sure my computer can see 20 networks, but none of them are strong enough to&nbsp;actually&nbsp;work. &nbsp;This is with it in the window.<br><br>When I am in the truck camper with aluminum siding the performance drops noticably.<br><br>If it is mounted on your roof it can "see" &nbsp;over the majority of cars around you.<br><br>Downside is snapping it off when its on the roof, make sure that is addressed.<br><br>The crane is a little easier to mount on the roof since the wifi adapter is built into the antenna. &nbsp;If you wanted to use an alpha on the roof the best way is to put the alpha in a waterproof box right next to the antenna and use usb extension cords. &nbsp;If you use a long antenna cable you will loose significant signal.<br><br>Over priced alpha in a &nbsp;box can bee seen here&nbsp;<a href="http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/06/the_wirieap_marine_wifi_perfected.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/06/the_wirieap_marine_wifi_perfected.html</a> &nbsp;Looks like they also added an apha r36 which is something I plan on doing for the future.<br><br>Here is the cheap version(not a ripoff store), they also sell the usb extension cables and the r36 if you wanted to look into that&nbsp;<a href="http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-strse-221/Enclosure-Alfa-AWUS036H-AWUS036NH/Detail" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-strse-221/Enclosure-Alfa-AWUS036H-AWUS036NH/Detail</a><br><br><br><br>

Hello Bee I totally agree with you that the C.Crane antenna is better suited in design for placing on the roof versus the Alpha antenna. The C.Crane antenna came with a couple nifty designed suction cups that stick the antenna to the window which is my current setup. Plus it came with a USB cord that has a Y splitter to connect to 2 separate USB outlets for more power. The Alfa antenna seems a little unstable with the adapter attached at bottom, I would be worried about placing the Alfa antenna on the roof unless inside an enclosure as you suggested. By the way, did you notice this expensive wifi antenna from the website you mentioned? This antenna is probably more powerful since it requires to be plugged in for power, similar to a Terk amplified TV antenna that I use for receiving free over the air TV stations. http://laurelhighlandswoodshop.gostorego.com/model-as-2-wifi-system.html Did you say your antenna is more powerful? Do you have a link to your antenna model? Thanks, Casey

I have a cheapo antenna on my roof with a magnetic base attached to my older Alfa. Since my roof is fiberglass, I cut off the bottom of a tin of Altoids and glued that down to my roof so the magnet had something to stick to. &nbsp;It now has several layers of paint over it. which has reduced the magnet's adhesion somewhat<br><br>The only thing that knocks it over are low hanging tree branches. &nbsp;100 mph won't do it.<br><br>I can see a lot of networks that I cannot connect to. &nbsp;Most are protected so I do not even try. &nbsp;<br><br>

Thanks Bee and Wrcsixeight,<br><br>You guys have given me useful things to consider.&nbsp; I too have the same problem whereby the antenna can see a number of additional networks, but they are either too weak or are encrypted.&nbsp; The disappointing thing is, the one network I really wanted to lock onto which is a coffee shop I frequent 3 blocks away, my antennas could not lock onto that signal.&nbsp; That sucks.&nbsp; I didn't consider that a long USB cord would diminish the signal, that's something to consider.&nbsp; The C.Crane antenna I got has a 30 feet USB cord which I was considering using if I place the antenna on rooftop, but now I'm worried the long cord will weaken the signal.&nbsp; If I have the C.Crane antenna inside the van attached to&nbsp;a window, I can instead use a&nbsp;short USB cord.&nbsp; As for&nbsp;an antenna getting knocked over by low hanging tree branches, that&nbsp;too is a potential problem for me.&nbsp; I do sometimes park in areas that have low hanging tree branches.&nbsp; Maybe I can place the antenna horizontally against the&nbsp;roof top?&nbsp;&nbsp;Would that defeat the purpose if the antenna is lying horizontally instead of upright??&nbsp; By the way, I've noticed some vans nearby me&nbsp;that have some type of small antenna&nbsp;positioned outside the van to the left side just past the driver side door.&nbsp; I can't remember whether&nbsp;the antenna&nbsp;was on the window or on the van frame.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would placing an antenna&nbsp;outside to the left side of the van be a viable alternative?&nbsp; I can't believe I'm putting this much though into simply where to place a wifi antenna, haha!&nbsp; <br><br>Thanks,<br>Casey<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;

Time to bust out the masking tape and see which antenna location provides the best connection to that coffee shop you seek.<br><br>If I remove my roof vent, I can stick my Alfa with 4" antenna attached on the roof. &nbsp;This provides a much better signal than the Alfa inside with a ~10 foot long cable from aftermarket antenna placed on the roof.<br><br>But the alfa with 4" antenna inside the van is much worse than the external antenna on the highest part of my roof.<br><br>With antenna's, height is might.

&nbsp;If you mount your antenna on the roof, why not add a 'spring base'? ..Willy.

Wrcsixeight,<br><br>Height is might...I like that!&nbsp; I will go to my van today to throw the antenna on the roof connected to my long USB cable to see if I'm able to connect to the wifi signal from the aforementioned coffee shop.&nbsp; If I can-not get any better reception on the roof versus inside attached to a window, that will be my test whether it makes any real difference.&nbsp; That said, I do agree with you that higher is better though.&nbsp; My other solution is to install my C.Crane wifi antenna to the roof, and keep my long Alfa wifi antenna inside the van next to the window.&nbsp; That way I will have a choice between 2 different antennas and setup.&nbsp; The reason for the C.Crane antenna (versus the Alfa) is because the USB adapter is built into the C.Crane antenna, so I only&nbsp;need to plug in the USB cord directly into the bottom of the C.Crane&nbsp;antenna.&nbsp; However, the Alfa antenna (which is longer than the C.Crane antenna) requires screwing in the USB adapter to bottom of antenna, then attaching USB cord out of the adapter. The entire Alfa setup seems a little unstable to me as there are additional parts required to be connected together, hence the Alfa antenna setup will stay inside the van placed horizontally flat on the window-sill behind the driver seat.&nbsp; <br><br>Casey

Some antennas (lots of the magnetic mount ones) need a 'ground plane', that is, a large metal surface under it to help it out.&nbsp; I'm not super smart about antenna/radio stuff, but I know some antenna's need a ground plane, and some don't.&nbsp; Make sure your antenna does/doesn't and provide or not provide as needed.&nbsp; If I remember correctly, ground plane's need to be 3-4' of clear space around the antenna. I would guess most non-magnetic mount antenna's do not need one, but I don't know.<br><br>Otherwise I agree with most everyone, the metal walls of a van definitely hinder signal, and the reflective insulation doesn't help either.&nbsp; So you get it in a window pointed at the building that has the signal you want would help a lot, or put it on the roof.&nbsp; If it's on the roof you never have to touch it again, which is nice, but then you have to deal with getting the cable inside, and making sure the antenna will last out there (i.e. is an outdoor antenna).<br><br>WIFI isn't really built for distance, since it's bi-directional, your computer/wifi adapter/etc has to be able to see it AND send a signal all the way back to it.&nbsp; That's why you can see so many networks but when you try to connect to them you get 'connection timed out' or whatever, that means your laptop receives signal from them, but your laptop isn't strong enough to send stuff back.<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

Thanks for your comments, very useful!&nbsp; See picture attached. I drove by and noticed this van and took a picture of it.&nbsp; There are 2 different antenna coming out from the van's driver side, one antenna coming out of the window, and other antenna on the outside frame to right of driver door.&nbsp; Now this looks like a cool way of attaching an antenna!&nbsp; Any pros and cons of this placement setup?<br><br>I will for sure be placing the C.Crane wifi antenna outside after having done an informal test with the antenna placed inside and outside the van.&nbsp; I was getting at least 1 extra bar strength with the antenna simply plopped on top of my roof over the driver side window.&nbsp; I didn't even have the antenna vertically upwards, just simply layed the antenna flat horizontally on the roof above the window.&nbsp; Even with this, I was getting a stronger signal versus having the antenna suctioned cupped to the inside window.<br><br>I'm taking the van in today to a van conversion shop to install the wifi antenna somewhere outside the van.&nbsp; Will update again after this is completed.

Hi Willy, thanks for pic of the spring base.&nbsp; That reminds me of CB antennas from eons ago.&nbsp; Probably does a good job though.