Who's removed their van front passenger seat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
I'm considering removing the front passenger seat to have more storage room.  If this has been previously addressed, I couldn't find a post doing a search, so feel free to re-direct me. If not I'd love to see what others have done.  As always, thanks in advance.

I did. First I had a cabinet there but got rid if that and put my fridge there instead. It has worked out great for me.

Bob's assistant, KC did. That's where her fridge is, too. You can see it (and KC) in one of Bob's recent videos.

I don't regret it even though there have been a handful of times in five+ years I've needed to give someone a ride. They sat on the floor or the bed or a folding chair.

I put mine on a swivel base so I can use it for a seat in the living area of the van.

I can still carry a passenger by turning it back around but it's mostly left in the rear facing position. I use the passenger foot well for storage - 20 lb propane tank and my folding campfire chair go there and there's still room for smaller odds and ends.

Some turn the seat around permanently by removing and re-bolting it to the seat base or floor (whichever is easiest). This gives them the storage room AND a place to sit.

Almost There said:
I can still carry a passenger by turning it back around but it's mostly left in the rear facing position.

I read somewhere that they tried leaving the passenger seat in the rear facing position but that the seat back blocked their ability to sear the side view mirror. Have you found that to be the case in your vehicle?

On mine it's not a problem!

I had the swivel seat base installed so that I could turn it around without having to have the passenger door open. The floor bolt pattern didn't line up with the base holes anyways so new holes were drilled in the floor and the old ones plugged.

I do have to slide the seat on it's track to the furthest back it will go and make sure that I put the seat back in it's most upright position.

It might be a problem on some vehicles and on some seat installations...mine was a random swivel base I picked up from a wrecking yard so it was more of a custom installation than some stock ones would be. If it is, it's no big deal to turn the seat around before driving.

MrNoodly said:
I did. First I had a cabinet there but got rid if that and put my fridge there instead. It has worked out great for me.  

What did you do about the air bag indicator light coming on after you unplugged the sensor?

Thx

The passenger seat on my 2007 Express cargo van wasn't wired to anything.

There was a time when I was sleeping in a little bunk I'd made in the 'king cab' section of a pickup truck while out on the road. It was crowded.

One day I bought a low-back bucket seat from a junkyard and pulled the bench seat that came with the truck. Made a plywood platform to act something like a very low table where the passenger seat had been. Just to give it a flat and stable surface.

I never regretted it. It made things much more spacious.

abnorm said:
You need a airbag simulator or disconnect kit...…..There are online sources for instructions and the "resistor" to keep the system intact  like this

http://www.airbagsystems.com/simulator.html

$129 for a resistor?   There must be a less expensive solution.

Thanks very much for your input, though.

Jim

PS - found this in another forum ... (b) looks good

First: to simply disable the airbag without bothering the rest of the Sprinter, you can (choose one):
(a) buy a "substitute" such as: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321487461917?lpid=82
(which is simply (but perhaps with a connector pre-added))
(b) unplug airbag (see WARNING, disconnect battery), push a 2.7 ohm resistor into cable socket, securely tape it and tie it down so it doesn't flap about and disconnect or short against something embarrassing.

Latest posts