Who/Where To Park At The RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverDMax

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am just trying to get a gauge on how everyone organizes there parking zones at the RTR. I heard in some of Bob's Youtube videos that there are some places that are more "night owl" oriented at the RTR, but he never mentioned how to find them. I am new to the RTR this year and I'm only traveling with 2 other people. Is it just as simple as getting there and walking around a bit to find new people, then move your RV over there? I am just trying to avoid annoying anyone if my group is up later then our neighbors before we can find like minded people. Is there any particular group that is known for being a younger crowd that I might be able to get in contact with? 

If you're reading this and are in the same boat as me maybe we can make our own little area together! Or if I can join your group let me know!  

Thanks,
JJ

DenverDMax said:
Is it just as simple as getting there and walking around a bit to find new people, then move your RV over there?

Pretty much.

I believe that the first day orientation Bob will generally point out the areas at least he did at the RTR that I was at a few years ago. I would think after the first night you will be able to figure it out.

I just want to park somewhere where I will be close enough to get back after a meeting and not get lost trying to find my rig!!

last year there was a Music Camp, an Art Camp, a Disability Area, a Step Van Camp, ETC. those will be easy to find as they will be laid out before hand.

as far as finding your way back to your camp at night I suggest a GPS for those not use to navigating in the dark. everything looks the same in the dark.

Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colors
From our sight
Red is grey and
Yellow white
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an illusion

it's was very common for lost people to wander into our camp because we had a fire going. met some great people that way. help a few find their way home. for others just finding our camp was good enough because it's a landmark camp as I fly a fairly tall flag.

highdesertranger

I fell into the easy to get lost out there group and HDR (mike) Pointed the way back thanks again.

highdesertranger said:
I suggest a GPS for those not use to navigating in the dark.  everything looks the same in the dark.
Well this is enlightening. I do have a GPS device on my car, but I thought there would be no internet service?

wagoneer said:
I fell into the easy to get lost out there group and HDR (mike) Pointed the way back thanks again.
So, HDR wanders around out in the night looking for poor lost souls, and sets them back on the straight and narrow path? Somebody has to, I guess, LOL

So, for you night-time navigators, the phases of the moon will be very bad for WRTR, but the heavens will be aglow for RTR.
https://www.moongiant.com/calendar/January/2019/

Rosie, GPS has a separate satellite system, so should work anywheres.
- https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/GPS24golden.gif

QinReno said:
So, for you night-time navigators, the phases of the moon will be very bad for WRTR, but the heavens will be aglow for RTR.
https://www.moongiant.com/calendar/January/2019/

Rosie, GPS has a separate satellite system, so should work anywheres.
- https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/GPS24golden.gif

Hello, Mother Nature? Help a sista out!

GPS has a separate satellite system
That was a cool link

rosiemartinez1211 said:
...but I thought there would be no internet service?

Cell service is one of Bob's top requirements. 

I recently camped near the new-for-2019 site and had three bars of unboosted Verizon. However, by January, when there are tens of thousands of snowbirds in the area, bandwidth can get clogged.

QinReno said:
Get yourself a high-intensity flashlight...

Some people have decorative lights at their sites. Those can help with nighttime wayfinding. "Ah, there's the canned ham trailer outlined in lights, and there's the two strings of color-shifting blinking lights, and the patio lights over there, so I'm a little over this way."

MrNoodly said:
Some people have decorative lights at their sites. 
Yeah, when I was at La Posa South last February, one of the regular RVs had erected a 30' tall pole and had some colored lights on top. You could navigate at night all over the LTVA using it.

Rosie, given the phases of the Moon, I would suggest always using the "buddy system" at WRTR. I also did buy one of those high-intensity flashlights before my last trip, and it was amazing how much brighter it was than my previous flash.

highdesertranger said:
last year there was a Music Camp,  an Art Camp,  a Disability Area,  a Step Van Camp,  ETC.  those will be easy to find as they will be laid out before hand.

Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colors
From our sight
Red is grey and
Yellow white
But we decide
Which is right
And
Which is an illusion

it's was very common for lost people to wander into our camp because we had a fire going. met some great people that way.  help a few find their way home.  for others just finding our camp was good enough because it's a landmark camp as I fly a fairly tall flag.

highdesertranger

White satin would help with visibility ;)
Any word on if there will be a music section this year?
I think it worked last year other than the one incident.

It is also a good idea to look back on your way out. That will give you an idea what it looks like heading home.

B and C said:
It is also a good idea to look back on your way out.  That will give you an idea what it looks like heading home.

I've heard hindsight is 20/20.

PattySprinter said:
I just want to park somewhere where I will be close enough to get back after a meeting and not get lost trying to find my rig!!

There are a number of ways to retrace steps:

If you have a GPS tracker it should have a 'breadcrumbs' mode that marks your trail from you camper to somewhere every X feet (my Garmin is settable for distance marks are apart).  Just use it to retrace your route.  Or you can also use the marker function to flag where your camper is and just head for that.  Gotta remember to initiate before you leave.

With your smartphone GPS app and maps you should be able to mark your camper's location and head for that on your way back.  Just got to remember to mark location before you leave.  If your smartphone has a GPS chip it will work without cell signal, otherwise a cell signal is necessary.

Get a 'find my car' app for your smartphone.  Initiate/GPS chip/cell signal again.

If you want to go the no-tech route, do what orienteers used to do before GPS: use a glow in the dark compass, note directions, count steps, and remember it all backwards as you retrace your route.  Great memory builder, but doesn't work well after a few brews.

Or do what the Indians used to do and put markers down at key intersections on your route.

Lights at your camper work well only if they are unique and you can see them on most of your route.

The key to not getting lost is to always note the "landmarks". Around Quartzsite it's the hills all around. Where RTR will be held, there are very tall flat-topped buttes right to the southeast. During RTR, the moon will be bright. Just pretend your GPS battery went dead, and you're an Indian scout in the 1880s. Piece of cake.

For any book worms, 
- https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Navigation-Why-Lost-Find/dp/1416575146

a big problem is that people try using white vans for their waypoints. LOL

oh I don't go looking for lost souls, they just find me or I should say they find our camp.

highdesertranger