Where did it go?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once had a pin hole in a bypass hose that would only spray a tiny stream of coolant when engine temperature went up while stopped at a railroad crossing on my way to work. My distributor had a vent hole in the bottom of the housing that the coolant shot into without leaving a drop on the manifold and would immediately coat the inside of my distributor cap with moisture killing the motor every day just like clockwork. Finally noticed the green color and smell of antifreeze on the white rag. I used to have an additive and a light that would cause it to glow under black light to find leaks, I don't know if it is still available but it found what little residue the coolant left on the hot hose.

steamjam1 said:
Luckily the Dodge B series heater cores aren't that hard to remove. Its right there under the hood. Just a swear word or two required while you maneuver the old one out, and the new one in. Dodge V8's and V'6's tend to weep coolant out the bypass hose, or out the recovery tank hose. I ran into a situation where my B150 would lose a bit of coolant, and the recovery tank hose had a slight leak to where it would allow fluid to pass to the tank, yet suck in air through the leak when the van was cooling down.

RIIIGHT!

31 nuts bolts and screws later ~~~  :dodgy:

I even found hold down screws hidden under trim pieces!    :mad:  The book said there were 8 total.  

I did the bypass this morning, and no pressure drop.  I had replaced the coolant hoses when I did all the other ones, so no worries there.  

Anyway, I pulled double handfulls of tree debris out of the plenum box, and then tried turning the squirel cage fan.  Not so good. . I need a new motor for that.  The heater core was leaking, and since it was winter I always had air moving through it.  That is why no drips.  It was evaperating. I should have everything Tuesday morning.  More snow on Wednesday.  I wish I was in Ehrenberg.  :(

Just finished the  replacement.  

I ordered the heater core local, as the price with shipping was close.  I went to pick it up today, and found an aluminum unit that would not even fit.   :mad:  The guys at the parts house over heated their computers tryingto figure it out.  Thesize was off by more than an inch at the top., and ot would not even slide in the chanel in the plenum box.  Made in China ~~~   :mad: ~~~ 

We called around, and found a place that said they had one in stock, and would match the price.  I got a refund, and drove to the second store.  The guy I talked to on the phone brought up the one that he said was for my aplication. ~~~ Not even close.   :huh:  I asked if he was sure that was for the front of a van.    :blush:  Van?  Nobody said van!  He had looked up a D 250 Luck was on my side, as they had one in stock.  He comes out with a huge box.   with the correct part in copper,  Henche en Mexico.   :D

I slide it in place, and see that the hole in the bracket does not line up.  Well ~~~ he wants to send it back and order one that is made right.  I have drills.  A 30 second fix. 

This went in 10 times faster than it came out.  I even used new screws to put everything back together.  I have heat!  :cool:   :p   :D 

Now to see if the pressure keeps holding.   ;)