When you social distance so well, the cops have to find you by helicopter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamk

Reaction score
Australian Police Use Surveillance Helicopter to Track Down Remote Campers
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]130420chopper.jpg[/font]
Quotes from the article:
Police in Tasmania [[font=DDG_ProximaNova, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_0, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_1, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_2, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_3, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_4, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_5, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_6,]an island state of Australia[/font]] are using a surveillance helicopter to track down people camping in remote locations in violation of coronavirus lockdown laws.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]17 people across the state [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]were charged with a lockdown offense in a period of just 24 hours over the Easter weekend.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Commander Rob Blackwood called the campers “selfish” for endangering other people during the COVID-19 pandemic despite them literally being around no other people.[/font][/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/size]

To my Aussie brothers and sisters - how do you handle this?!?
To my American [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]brothers and sisters - [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]how would you handle this?!?[/font][/font][/size]

Attachments

• 130420chopper.jpg
    130420chopper.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 15
There are several counties in Utah that have restricted camping to residents of the county to prevent people from highly infected areas from coming in but there are still several BLM lands in Arizona that are open and other counties in Utah that have no such restrictions since the start of the virus. I have rented spots in both states that I can stay in from $75 to $350 a month as backup should I ever get tired of moving to be legal on BLM land, other government lands or when the counties post restrictions on those lands. Really no problems other than I may have to move out of one county or state to another which is why it is nice to be in a mobile lifestyle. I don't want to be anywhere where I legally shouldn't be while people are trying to get a handle on this virus. I don't want to be a part of the problem which may be caused by traveling in areas I shouldn't. Many rural areas have very limited medical and first responder resources which is why the authorities considered them "selfish" although if one of the recreational campers fell over a ledge and was hurt badly I guess they would want to see a helicopter of course they might be to busy dealing with some poor local dying of the virus after having contact with the asymptomatic camper at the fuel station a few days before. Staying put seems pretty easy to me and a much better solution.

It is ignoring the fact that they don't yet know if the virus will develop in a lot of wild animals. There are some reports of it being in domestic cats in China and being easily transmitted between cats. We have of course see a Tiger in a New York Zoo infected with Covid19 and other big cats in that zoo exhibiting the same symptoms although the test they ran did not turn up positive for Covid 19.

I myself can understand how big an issue it could become if it gets into a wildlife populations.

I would strongly suspect they don't want remote camping going on because of the aboriginal population who lives in the bush. They won't want them to be exposed to Covid 19. Remember there is no hospital out there in the bush country.

I would suspect profit-making opportunities, in the same way that in the U.S. poor people are ticketed en masse for not having unaffordable insurance and then forced to try to pay fines they couldn't possibly pay for the violation. If they can't pay, they are put in for-profit jails and may have their cars sold off to pay for exhorbitant lot or even towing fees. The State makes money on every incarcerated person and every process enabling their incarceration.

You can bet the cost of those helicopters is extremely well recompensed in the fines assessed on people who may well be among the least able to pay them. But there is always property to be seized, and sold off, for virtually no cost. As in, no cost to the seizing agency, and effectively no remuneration to the owner of the asset.

This is about money and control, most likely. The world does not want more of you.

^^^

Well, maybe. But remember Occam's razor.

I think it far more likely that the agencies are just trying to keep tabs on where people are, and not for just virus reasons. Australia is coming out of a punishing fire season. Not too hard to imagine a scenario of urban/suburban folks who usually don't go camping, moving into the outback to escape the virus, not knowing what they are doing, and starting fires and damaging wildlife.

The point of the virus measures are to minimize contact between individuals and break up large gatherings.

The reason for not allowing people to go camping swimming,hiking boating skiing unnessacery driving or any other sport or movement in a lockdown is so that these people don,t make the first responders, ie police ambulance or other rescue agency come out of their bubbles to save these idiots, if they get into trouble or have an accident. It is not about money, control or infecting the natives, (not sure there are any aboriginals in Tasmania I think the British took care of that) or other conspiracy theories. The Australian gov has a plan to slow the virus and they are sticking to it, and from the results it seems to be working.

You got a link to your claims kurbmaster?
Tbh, the social shaming thing is something out of "1984".
People get scared and click into black/white, all/nothing survival thinking.

I am heading out, soon, 900 mi to NW after being solo in the desert since rtr. I will resupply infrequently, I am setup from remote excursions.
And remote is where I will be.

Seriously... a helicopter in U.S. is $200 a minute considering expenses and wages. ...and this is what they chase??? WTF? Safer with distance...

jacqueg said:
^^^

Well, maybe. But remember Occam's razor.

I think it far more likely that the agencies are just trying to keep tabs on where people are, and not for just virus reasons. Australia is coming out of a punishing fire season. Not too hard to imagine a scenario of urban/suburban folks who usually don't go camping, moving into the outback to escape the virus, not knowing what they are doing, and starting fires and damaging wildlife.

The point of the virus measures are to minimize contact between individuals and break up large gatherings.

I think Occam's Razor in this and most any scenario is simply "Follow the money."  It is much bigger of a stretch to suspect a chain of beneficent, selfless behavior than to suspect simple greed.

It's always about money. I tried living without it once but that didn't work for me.