What's the coldest you have experienced living in van without insulation or heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMTLMT

Reaction score
The coldest for me is only 28 degrees.  However, will be traveling to east coast in single digits or below.

For sleeping - long Johns, Merino wool balaclava, 3 sleeping bags - (2) 4LB Coleman sleeping bags (1) 5LB.  I was gonna double up 4LB and 5LB and lay another 4LB on top.  

Will I still freeze?  or should I pay for a hotel room . . . .  

Currently I don't have funds for big ticket items like $1k down sleeping bags or mountaineering jackets, so I'm trying to get by as economical as possible.

I went camping the other day in the 20s and slept in my car. I was plenty warm with a standard thick cotton comforter, fleece blanket, wool underwear, and 40lb dog. Was plenty warm but I'm pretty sure it's because the dog generated a lot of nice snuggly heat. ^_^ I've also backpacked in the mountains at about 15F with a $500 down bag (not sure if this is in your budget) and have been snug as a bug in a rug.

A couple of tricks that I've found make a world of difference
1) Sleep with a hat on
2) Do jumping jacks right before hopping into bed to generate body heat
3) Boil some water and put it in a hot water bottle- stick it in your sleeping bag 5-10min before bed

I've done below zero, but in a well insulated space.

You won't freeze, but do invest in good clothing and bedclothes.

A campstove and hot water bottles help.

The smallest Buddy run first thing gets things toasty.

Don't run any propane without cracking a window, and never while sleeping, best to also get a CO alarm.

I am from alaska, and have done camping at -40F... I have yet to purchase a van, but I would imagine I would get those temps

My experiences have been in a tent rather than a van. Without insulation or external heat, I'm pretty sure the experience would be the same. With proper insulation for your own body heat and filled with plenty of calories, there's nothing to be worried about.

My lowest record so far is -9°C (15.8°F) and my -12°C (10.4°F) down sleeping bag kept me nice and cozy. The only thing I've never been able to keep warm is my nose.

Mine is not an inexpensive bag. However, there are synthetic ones that are larger and heavier that cost less. Wool blankets and feather ticks are a good alternative that are very warm. In a van the size and weight would be much less an issue than when camping.

LMTLMT said:
The coldest for me is only 28 degrees.  However, will be traveling to east coast in single digits or below.

For sleeping - long Johns, Merino wool balaclava, 3 sleeping bags - (2) 4LB Coleman sleeping bags (1) 5LB.  I was gonna double up 4LB and 5LB and lay another 4LB on top.  

Will I still freeze?  or should I pay for a hotel room . . . .  

Currently I don't have funds for big ticket items like $1k down sleeping bags or mountaineering jackets, so I'm trying to get by as economical as possible.

I've recently had some overnight sessions that were in the 28-degree zone. I wore a sweatshirt over another shirt and used a 30-degree sleeping bag topped with a thick comforter, plus a cap. It felt fine (didn't even need socks) but the cap kept sliding off, so I'll need to replace it with a balaclava or some such thing.

Colder than that, and I'd probably just rent a room or alter my route.

hey, Canuck how did you get the little degree o thingy next to your numbers. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hey,  Canuck how did you get the little degree o thingy next to your numbers.  highdesertranger

Hold "ALT" while typing "248" on the number pad.  There are lots of extended characters you can get this way.  I'm sure there's a reference online somewhere, but this one I've just memorized.

When the wife and I boon docked a few years back in the smoky mountains we went through a winter there.  Got down to 10F, maybe colder, on occasion.  I picked up a couple used sleeping bags and we had no problems after.  You sound like you have enough stuff to keep warm, But i don't know what 4lb and 5lb sleeping bags mean.  Different materials have different weight and insulation to them.  But one bag inside another with the Balaclava to keep your heat from seeping out of your scalp, and depending on the type of long johns - really you should be okay unless the weather gets crazy and goes way WAY sub zero.  Even then I think you would only be chilly.  And Adriana had some good tips.  If worst comes to worst you hop in the drivers seat, start up your vehicle and warm things up inside the vehicle.  Your not gonna freeze though.

We were in 30 degrees at Crater Lake last year...in a teeny teardrop without a heater. We were warm in our inexpensive sleeping bags, but dang...getting up and out in the morning was not so much fun. We also experienced a lot of condensation (who wants to open the windows?).

We have since changed rigs and have a heater with a thermostat -- and use a good-sized container of silica gel desiccant. So far, low 30s have been no problem (same sleeping bags) and no issues with condensation. We vent!

I spent two weeks sleeping in a company truck working a Drilling Rig in Williston, ND.. We experienced a week of sub zero temperatures with the coldest night hitting -18F... Only turned my Diesel Chevy pickup off a couple times to check the oil, just kept adding fuel.

As far as camping goes, 20F on the ground tent at Death Valley's Telescope Peak trail head....

I think I'll pickup a wool blanket in addition just in case. I usually have one of my roof vents opened 1/3 of the way to avoid condensation.
Thanks all.

yes get a sleep system that will keep you warm in the coldest temp that you plan to be in. heaters are nice but don't rely on them. I always refer to what Colin Fletcher said, "pick out the best sleeping bag you can afford and buy the next best one up". for me I have been in the -5° range a few times. at those temps it's hard to get out of your sleeping bag. highdesertranger

Hi Friends, 

This past June I went to Yellowstone NP with my cat. I was camped up the mountain and the 2nd day the rangers came by and let us know they were expecting 11-16" of snow that night. I said "GOODBYE" and moved down to lower ground where we got about 4" of snow overnight. I had NO insulation at all, which I wasn't worried about because it WAS JUNE AFTERALL, and I had no source of heat except the van's heater. I'm guessing it was at least 32* as the snow stuck around all day. I WAS MISERABLE! This was due to having food poisoning and no way to heat my van. I left that campsite and went further towards West Yellowstone, at a lower elevation and no snow. The sun came out and the van heated up immediately. 

Two years ago I was traveling from Bryan, Texas to my home in western WA state with the new van mentioned above with no insulation or heating method other than the van heater. I left on March 21, 2015, right after Colorado had a historic snow fall. On my way through Oklahoma I stopped at a Love's and decided to stay the night due to the wind and cold. It had gotten down to 28* with a howling wind. I did have to turn the van heater on in the middle of the night because despite having a 0* sleeping bag, I had forgotten about it and was only using blankets and my cat to stay warm. The following day I noticed the bag and tapped myself in the head. The 0* bag helped a lot the following days of the trip! 

Stay Warm!
CLOUD WOMAN  :D

13 degrees with a 34 degree sleeping bag, Have a Fleece blanket folded inside, keeps me nice and warm.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.  Best

It was only for New Years. Wife and I stayed in the van New Years instead of driving home impaired. My ceiling is bare metal. I haven't got to insulating and covering it yet. Didn't realize I was out of propane so no heater. It got down to 3 degrees.

I ended up running the motor for about 6 hours just to keep the temperature somewhat bearable. We used lots of blankets and body heat.

Back in my hiking days, I'd sometimes go backpacking in the winter with lows around 20.

Currently I have three sleeping bags, each with a different temp rating, and layer them together as needed. The coldest I've vanned in was around 30, but I am theoretically good down to about zero. But since I follow the weather, it's unusual for me to be in temps that cold.

You will be fine with those bags .
Probably just the first two most of the time.
And add the third if you need it.
I've been doing this all the time since the 80s in
temps down to below zero .
I wear most of my clothes including a fleece top (or two) but just because I don't like getting dressed in the cold ! I could sleep naked if I wanted and still be toasty. ;)

Latest posts